Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KERRY Pubs & Restaurants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Also, Soly Sambro in Killorglin. Nice quaint atmosphere. Former church turned into a restaurant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

dobman88 wrote: »
    What about in town itself? Treyvaud's is exceptional imo. I've only been twice but both times we were treated like royalty and I don't even know anyone working there. Once for my OH birthday and for Valentines day. We can't wait to return. Robertinos is nice but has taken a dip in service and overall good feeling in recent months imo. If you wanted to splash the cash then The Europe is apparently fantastic but I've never been lucky enough to try it.

Treyvaud's is somewhere I'd love to try, have heard great things about it. Sol Y Sombra in Killorglin is meant to be really good too. They often have live acts play there, some pretty well known names. Another place I have on my list of places to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Treyvaud's is somewhere I'd love to try, have heard great things about it. Sol Y Sombra in Killorglin is meant to be really good too. They often have live acts play there, some pretty well known names. Another place I have on my list of places to go!

Definitely try Treyvaud's. We put it off for such a long time because it's viewed as a really "fancy shmancy" type place but it's really just a normal restaurant with fantastic food and we thought fantastic value. Both times the bill came to 80-something euro for 3 courses each incl drinks and tip. We were served by the owner, Paul Treyvaud, twice on both occasions. We noticed he made a point of going to each table at least twice to do something. I really can't speak highly enough of the place or recommend it enough. Just try it, you won't be disappointed.

Ty the Wild Game stew if it's still on the menu. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has anyone been to Nicks restaurant in Killorglin? I've never been, but always heard good things about it.

Has anyone been to Nicks restaurant in Killorglin? I've never been, but always heard good things about it.

Yes it is very good . Been going a long time. AFAIK Soly Sambro next door to Nicks is owned by his daughter??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Trevauds is looking good. There's practically no driving involved although I did have an exchange of words with the owner after he took a disliking to me parking my ten tonne truck outside his premises. I had thought of the hotel Europe. The do an amazing have but unfortunately they don't seem to be open for dinner on Sunday.

Spa seafood looks like it could have the atmosphere I'm after but like Jacks it's right on the edge of the distance I'm willing to travel.

Yes it is very good . Been going a long time. AFAIK Soly Sambro next door to Nicks is owned by his daughter??

Was wondering the same myself. Always intend visiting, just never get round to it. OH tried soly sombra with some work colleagues but didn't enjoy it. Not our cup of tea she said. Will try Nicks some time over summer.

Nite folks.................

All this talk about food is making me hungry:rolleyes:

Final thought Aghadoe Heights for a romantic meal?????

Enjoy!

Not sure, I know Nick's is being run by the previous owner's son, John Foley.

I have often wanted to go to Sol Y Sombra's to see various different musical acts, never seems to happen! So many nice places to eat in Kerry, just never get the chance to try them!

Nite folks.................

All this talk about food is making me hungry:rolleyes:

Final thought Aghadoe Heights for a romantic meal?????

Enjoy!

I've delivered there. The have a stste of the art kitchen rivaling that of the Hotel Europe. I think I will take a look at what they have to offer.

• Advertisement

Was wondering the same myself. Always intend visiting, just never get round to it. OH tried soly sombra with some work colleagues but didn't enjoy it. Not our cup of tea she said. Will try Nicks some time over summer.

Yes , Soly a Sombra is my cup of tea! I like Spanish food , tapas etc.

Appreciate it may not be to everyone's liking , however it is worth a try. Have been there numerous times always enjoyed it.

I've delivered there. The have a stste of the art kitchen rivaling that of the Hotel Europe. I think I will take a look at what they have to offer.

I used entertain clients there at lunchtime, long very liquid lunches . Great food & wines !

The Europe was another of my lunchtime haunts, again great food and wines.

AFAIK Europe & Aghadoe Heights are owned by Liebherr ?

Yes , Soly a Sombra is my cup of tea! I like Spanish food , tapas etc.

Appreciate it may not be to everyone's liking , however it is worth a try. Have been there numerous times always enjoyed it.

I just had a look at their website. The place could really be a lot of fun as well as a refreshing break from the usual format. I will have to have a closer look at the menus as I've never been to a tapas restaurant before and I would have no idea what to order.

I just had a look at their website. The place could really be a lot of fun as well as a refreshing break from the usual format. I will have to have a closer look at the menus as I've never been to a tapas restaurant before and I would have no idea what to order.

the thing with Tapas is just to order a bit of everything! :)

Dangermouse, go on live dangerously!

Try a little bit of everything, sharing is caring, ideal for a romantic meal out.

The atmosphere is very relaxed , the building amazing and quirky !!

Gosh my taste buds are on high alert talking about Tapas, I spend a lot of time in Spain.

I am definitely going to bed now. Horlicks and Marietta :D:D:D

It's settled then. They say 2 or 3 raciones is the equivalent of a full meal so is that two or three for me and two or three for her? Should we even bother with the main courses then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Should we even bother with the main courses then?

Stick with the tapas, hold going till your full. Some tapas are small and some are big. Not uncommon to eat 10 of them.

Could this be a nice venue for a Boardsies meet up?

If you lot think you're crashing my date on Sunday, you've another thing coming!

• Advertisement

The Sol y Sombre place? Why not. I'm in if it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Just have had a bad experience of Brown Sugar Cafe.

Wife, myself and family would go in 1/2 times a week as the food is good and location perfect for some days work.

Yesterday my wife was charged €2 extra for gluten free bread and was not informed by waitress when paying or was it on the noticeboard. As she looked at the bill she noticed the charge and decided to question it. So she asked Derek Daly, Owner, about it and was told not very nicely that that was it. ~In other words, Please F**k off.

Now you can go downstairs and get a gluten free sandwich made at the deli counter at no extra charge

So not only has Brown Sugar lost 2 customer and their families, but so has Supervalu. Arrogance it seems is still alive and well in some businesses

newman10 wrote: »
    Just have had a bad experience of Brown Sugar Cafe.

Wife, myself and family would go in 1/2 times a week as the food is good and location perfect for some days work.

Yesterday my wife was charged €2 extra for gluten free bread and was not informed by waitress when paying or was it on the noticeboard. As she looked at the bill she noticed the charge and decided to question it. So she asked Derek Daly, Owner, about it and was told not very nicely that that was it. ~In other words, Please F**k off.

Now you can go downstairs and get a gluten free sandwich made at the deli counter at no extra charge

So not only has Brown Sugar lost 2 customer and their families, but so has Supervalu. Arrogance it seems is still alive and well in some businesses

Gosh that is rather disappointing. Seems rather short sighted for business person to lose 2 customers over €2!! Can a slice of gluten bread be that expensive????
    I have been in the place for breakfast during hols.and was a nice setup.

If you lot think you're crashing my date on Sunday, you've another thing coming!

Nah!! We would never do that to you ??????

The Sol y Sombre place? Why not. I'm in if it goes ahead

Yeah !!!!! Why not indeed???? Not next Sunday of course....... danger mouse is having a romantic dinner then!!!!

It's settled then. They say 2 or 3 raciones is the equivalent of a full meal so is that two or three for me and two or three for her? Should we even bother with the main courses then?

Well that may be down to you both to decide what the main course may be !!!!!!!!!

Enjoy !!!!!!

Yeah !!!!! Why not indeed???? Not next Sunday of course....... danger mouse is having a romantic dinner then!!!!

Honestly, I don't mind. At least if things aren't going well, I can get up and join you guys at the big table!

Now, just so I don't get accused of pulling this off topic, I was at bombay palace two weeks ago. I probably had a bit too much wine than I wanted to, but there was a mix up with meeting times and I had to do the walk of shame before returning to the restaurant an hour later.

Mixed starter platter was good. They have the tandoori down anyway, I'll give them that. The garlic and coriander naan was was very heavily season (I think there's still garlic coming from my pores). The Byrani main was good, we shared thst and there was still enough left over for her to get a second meal out of me. All in all, it was a good experience and very reasonably priced. Not the fine dining experience of chilli shaker or indie spice in swords but nevertheless a worthy option.

There's a Thai place in innisfallon mall, also in Killarney. The name escapes me but I was there last year with a large group and found that excellent. There were no complaints from anyone.

Finally, if you're into good coffee you could do worse than go to revive café on new Street. I think they're the only ones in the town to serve Java Republic. They also stock their new range of organic herbal teas. Scones are baked fresh there every morning and their breakfast is good too. I'm quite partial to the smoked salmon bagel. Price is up there but they have free fibre broadband. I often grab a coffee and download a new Spotify playlist for the drive home.

Yeah some time over the summer. Never been to a boards meet up so would be nice to put some faces to the people you talk to/debate/help/argue with.

You seem like the tapas expert Del so over to you for set up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

The bar food in aghadoe heights is excellent and well priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I call down to Tralee now and again but I usually go to Gally's for Lunch. It's been superb every time I've visited.

I've been to Bailey's corner and thought it was fine.

Spa Seafood Restaurant looks a good place to go? Any others worth looking at?

Advertisement