Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved abroad? Is it a let-down or amazing?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people, many of us have relatives or friends who have moved abroad and it seems they're all having the time of their lives.
    But if you're abroad, are you enjoying it?

Is it everything you hoped it would be? Or is it a big let-down?
    Do you miss Ireland and do you plan on coming home for good or have you made a new life for yourself abroad and see yourself there forever?

I'm just interested because a friend of mine has decided to stay another year in Oz as opposed to coming home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Left Ireland as a child, and have been back a fair few times but would never live there. I was brought up in England, moved to Switzerland and then New York as an adult for 5 years each and Panama City for a year, but found myself drawn back to the UK and settled here.

I think it's easier to move abroad when you are single. Once you're settled down, and especially once kids are around, it's comforting to be near (but not too near, within 200 miles is fine..) family.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Depends on where abroad you end up and why you choose to go.

I had to leave Ireland in 2009 for work and was in Abu-Dhabi for nearly a year.
    I had a ball and loved the weather, craic and different cultures and the over all new experiences.

Following that I worked in Luxembourg and did not enjoy it much at all.

So really the question cant be answered without making assumptions.
    I think you can make living anywhere work it just required the right attitude and outlook.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Depends on where abroad you end up and why you choose to go.

I had to leave Ireland in 2009 for work and was in Abu-Dhabi for nearly a year.
    I had a ball and loved the weather, craic and different cultures and the over all new experiences.

Following that I worked in Luxembourg and did not enjoy it much at all.

So really the question cant be answered without making assumptions.
    I think you can make living anywhere work it just required the right attitude and outlook.

I spent a year in Luxembourg one weekend. Christ what a boring kip. But managed to meet up with a couple of Norwegian lads in some bar near the old city walls and got drunk with them. Dull bastard of a city.

We moved around a bit when I was growing up because of my parents careers, then I moved to study and work. At this point my immediate family are so dispersed that I'm not sure where to think of as home. I tend to think of my Grannys house as home because it's never changed. When she's gone, I think I'm going to feel a bit adrift without that house as an anchor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lived in London for 7 years and loved it. It's such a great city and if you're a homebird you can still fly back in an hour or so.

Currently coming up on three years in Brisbane (moved with Aussie GF). It's a lovely little city, not too big, not too small. Have a great job I love and the outdoors life is nice. The heat can get a little oppressive in Summer but the rest of the year it's really nice. I even wear jumpers on days you'd be going to the beach back home.

Having said all that I'm happy as long as I have a good job and a good internet connection for gaming :) I've never been the type to be homesick. Different for other people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Moved to Asia - loved it
    Then moved to Canada - hated it
    Now moved back to Ireland - its grand

Ideally would love to settle in Asia but realistically it is probably not going to happen. Would be happy enough settling in Ireland/Europe now, you're never more than a 3-4 hr flight from home if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

5 and a half years in Edinburgh, how could you not be amazed by the Castle? When you have to walk around it to get somewhere!!!

Sure there's not much difference anyway between here and back home, and as I learned on BBC last night up until 1000AD when you said Scots you were referring to the Irish (who settled over here!). They're just a bunch who prefer colder weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Did my Erasmus in Madrid and absolutely loved it. Knew I could spend the rest of my life there.

Moved to the Czech Republic for a year when I finished college. It was ok, on a par with Ireland personally.

Went to Brazil for a bit and loved it,, would go back in a flash if I could.

Came back to Spain and went to a different part. Been here three years now and love it even more. Definitely see myself staying here for the rest of my life.

Have no desire to live in Ireland again, it's just not for me.

As you can guess, the weather is a big deal for me. I hate the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Egginacup wrote: »
    I spent a year in Luxembourg one weekend.

Lada time machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Living in France. Racist cesspool, and fúck all places to go out where I live.

Not recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Lucena wrote: »
    Living in France. Racist cesspool, and fúck all places to go out where I live.

Not recommended.

das racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Living in Holland for the last 7 years. There's a good standard of life here with a very good work/ life balance. See myself living here for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Living in the Netherlands for three years now, moving home tuesday. Ireland is the ****, **** what you heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

Like others have said, I think it depends on various factors including your personality and circumstances, where you go to and your reasons for going.

I have lived in two other countries besides Ireland and my reasons for going were to get away from issues at home but in reality, I probably brought those issues with me in my own mind. Coping with any sort of emotional issues when your usual support network isn't around you is tricky! When things get tough here or I get bored, I still find myself having those escapist fantasies and have to remind myself that life is life, no matter where you live.

I moved to hot places but because of the warm weather, mentally I always felt like I should be on holidays and found it so hard to be motivated for work :D

That said, I met a lot of interesting people and learned a lot about the visiting cultures/Irish culture, two new languages and grew a lot as a person by being taken out of my usual context. It is definitely a mind-opening experience but not without its challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

France, Paris: Get spot, didn't have a word of French and was broke but enjoyed it. Had to go back to Ireland for work.
    Oman: When the I got let go from my firm during the crash. Hated the first year or two, then mellowed out but have come full circle and hated the last year and a half. Being treated as a second class citizen constantly it too much.
    So I am moving back to France/Monaco in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

What's amazing and different at first soon becomes normal. I'm here long term, obviously you miss the family but I have family here on the OH's side, new friends etc. Now all the stuff that seems exciting has become normal, I enjoy it but it's normal. Learning the language is absolutely essential. I have no sympathy for anyone who goes to another country and makes little effort with it's language and culture, some people want to move abroad for the weather only. You have to make a big effort to adapt.

That said, the only thing I would genuinely struggle with if i had to move home is the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I left 15 years ago, couldn't be happier here. Everything just works and there is a lot more transparency when it comes to everything. No one begrudges your success, it's actually the opposite, and everyone is straight with you. No backhanded comments or snide remarks behind your back.

Taxes are higher, electricity, water, gas, etc are a lot more expensive than in Ireland. But you adjust and it's a small price to pay for the quality of life you get in return. Plus everything doesn't revolve around the pub here, this is something you really appreciate as you get older.

As for returning to Ireland, I very much doubt it. I might have more cash in my pocket but the quality of life would take a significant drop and this is not worth it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Living in America at the moment its not so great, but I think its just Minnesota it cold in the winter like very cold.
    Lived in Toronto twice, didnt enjoy the first time i was there (bad job low money) but the second time was great (much better job and decent money)

Lived in Liverpool and loved it there.

Patww79 wrote: »

But one with free health care, world-class universities, big cities, wonderful countryside, world class sporting events, award winning theatres, and a much better infra-structure. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

But one with free health care, world-class universities, big cities, wonderful countryside, world class sporting events, award winning theatres, and a much better infra-structure. :pac:

Many Uk residents would disagree about the *much better* infrastructure, particularly the privatised railway lines. And unless you go to the "world class" sporting events, or the award winning theatres very often the UK and Ireland have largely the same culture.

Personally I don't think that "big cities" is a plus, anywhere above 1M gets oppressive, and I have lived in London.

The countryside is very nice and parts of the UK, in particular the South West are great. The idea that it's so much better than Ireland is just not true, though.

In general I couldn't wait to leave London, but Bristol is a pet of a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Went to University there myself but now Id pity any student going to study there with the fees at 9000 pounds a year

Patww79 wrote: »

We spent in excess of €5k in Ireland trying to get my eldest daughter's stomach problems sorted, and never even made any progress, just a stream of consultants prescribing drugs to combat constipation and not looking for a real solution. Less than 6 months back in the UK, one GP visit, referred to a consultant who managed to cure her. For free.

I love many things about Ireland, but healthcare is most definitely not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Candie wrote: »
    We moved around a bit when I was growing up because of my parents careers, then I moved to study and work. At this point my immediate family are so dispersed that I'm not sure where to think of as home. I tend to think of my Grannys house as home because it's never changed. When she's gone, I think I'm going to feel a bit adrift without that house as an anchor.

Does your granny live in Ireland, Candie?

Been out of Ireland 10 years and lived in a few places.

I moved to Madrid in September 2009 and had zero expectations of the city itself as I'd never been, so was pleasantly surprised when I discovered just how beautiful the place is. The people, to be honest, weren't what I expected. I had the idea that the Spanish were all very relaxed and very friendly; I assumed they'd be similar to the South Americans I'd met when I spent a year there but people in Madrid aren't relaxed in the slightest and lose the head over nothing and are quite gruff and direct but friendly in their own different way and you know exactly where you stand with them, which I appreciate but it took a few years to "get" that. It was probably my own fault moving here with a head full of vague stereotypes, tbh.

The city has really grown on me: life here is easy if you have a job and it's a really pleasant city to live in - it has a large town feel even though it's big. I hate to state the obvious but the weather is a massive part of it along with the decent transport, the great wine and fruit and the beauty of the city itself.

I miss many things about Ireland and think it's a fantastic country to live in and I've no clue if I'll ever move back but I wouldn't rule it out. I was supposed to move to England this year but my boyfriend finally found a job he's happy in after a few years of unemployment and tbh, I'm happy enough to stay here for the time being. I actually felt a sense of relief when I made the decision to stay. It took a long time to love the place but I do now and that was more down to my own attitude change and concentrating on the positives instead of the negatives, which I got into a habit of doing.

Is it "better" and am I having a ball? Many things are better, many things are worse and I'm not having a ball all the time though Facebook might give that impression sometimes - life becomes life wherever you go and wherever you go, there you are 'n' all da.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

jester77 wrote: »
    No one begrudges your success, it's actually the opposite, and everyone is straight with you. No backhanded comments or snide remarks behind your back.

How would you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

fussyonion wrote: »
    Like a lot of people, many of us have relatives or friends who have moved abroad and it seems they're all having the time of their lives.
    But if you're abroad, are you enjoying it?

Is it everything you hoped it would be? Or is it a big let-down?
    Do you miss Ireland and do you plan on coming home for good or have you made a new life for yourself abroad and see yourself there forever?

I'm just interested because a friend of mine has decided to stay another year in Oz as opposed to coming home.

I've lived out of Ireland on and off for the guts of the last 12 years 3 months here, 2 years there. I've lived on 4 different continents.

I love travelling and I love that part of my current job involves 3-4 month rotations to different countries, I'm currently in India, I've also lived in NZ, Belgium, Switzerland, The US, Peru, Costa Rica and a few other places.

But despite it all, I would probably prefer to live in Ireland fulltime and only have to do shorter trips away for work and travel on my own time, but maybe I'd just getting old or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    How would you know?

In Ireland I've often been in company where someone would say something to someone and once that person has left they would make snide comments about them. I've never once experienced anyone making such comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Odd, my English wife's family constantly about the NHS and their transport infrastructure (late trains, the cost etc). As for big cities she hated living in London, much prefers Dublin due to it's size. Different people will view things in a different way to you. And Ireland doesn’t have wonderful countryside now?

The rest are whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

Advertisement