Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oliver Reed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Saipanne wrote: »
    If the mirror said you were a paedophile, you'd probably doubt yourself.
    Of course the IRA never committed such acts.

Ahem.

:) If the Sindo said...etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

porsche959 wrote: »
    :) If the Sindo said...etc, etc.

Its the mirror. The mirror.

Its the mirror. The mirror.

What of it? You realise one of the writers is the guy that did the Savile expose for ITV?

I know it's a tabloid but it's not in the Sunday Sport mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

That might be the definition, but in common parlance today it is used for attraction to anyone under AOC.
    Still, it doesn't make it right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

You don't unmask anyone who's alleged.

Trial by media bull****.

allegation doesn't equal guilty.

unless your a tabloid (alleged) scumbag.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Still, it doesn't make it right.

Words change their meaning over time.

Jimmy Savile is commonly spoken of as a peadophile, but in reality he was probably a predatory ebebophile, as most of his alleged victims were well over 12, on average round 16 I think.

But bottom line, if it's true that Reed was paying 15 year old prostitutes when in his fifties, I think most people would regard that as immoral and certainly it was and still is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I truly doubt that he was targetted specifically because of these allegations. I'd say they got lucky. He was lax about his personal security because he believed he got on well with locals and would not be targetted.

Yeah, getting the PIRA, the Guards and the British establishment to agree on the time of day is hard but that is the truth - a high profile "target" in an easily accessible place at a predictable time (same time every year...Classiebawn). Don't believe a randomer on the net, pop down to Mullaghmore yourself and ask any local over the age of 50.
    The fact Mountbatten was sympathetic towards a united Ireland at the height of the 1970s came out later. If they hadn't blown him up, those high value connections of his might have been part of ending the violence up north a good ten years earlier.....instead the IRA got bad publicity worldwide.

What of it?

Never mind. Here's another sterling periodical.

COVER_BF_love-slave.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I truly doubt that he was targetted specifically because of these allegations. I'd say they got lucky. He was lax about his personal security because he believed he got on well with locals and would not be targetted.

I've heard from a few different people that the alleged activities were behind his death. I've heard a few other things about it too that are definitely unrepeatable, especially on a public forum. It could all be a load of bull, not denying that, I'm just saying what I've heard.

Never mind. Here's another sterling periodical.

Blocked. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

The shock revelation that Oliver Reed may have been sighted in a brothel with a 15 year old girl.
    Is this the same upstanding gent who flashed his upstanding member on national TV any chance he got ?
    Pissed on bar counters when no ashtrays were to hand ?
    Dry humped Susan George live on the Late Late Show ?

I am stunned at this display of bad manners and degeneracy. Ollie probably was too when he sobered up.
    He was lauded and applauded as a drunk baffoon. There are a lot of lindsay lohan's and Brittany Spears now who don't realize they are clowns for the media

Awful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Words change their meaning over time.

Jimmy Savile is commonly spoken of as a peadophile, but in reality he was probably a predatory ebebophile, as most of his alleged victims were well over 12, on average round 16 I think.
    I don't think the word has changed meaning for most people.

It is what it is.

Let's be honest, there is a world of difference to say, molesting a 1 year old and having sex with a 15/16 year old.

Blocked. Good luck.

Awww, Porsche...

I don't think the word has changed meaning for most people.

It is what it is.

Look at a smattering of articles or even social media posts about Savile, then look at age profile of his alleged victims, and tell me the word hasn't gradually changed meaning in eyes of media/general public.

Let's be honest, there is a world of difference to say, molesting a 1 year old and having sex with a 15/16 year old.

Of course, but equally there is world of difference to having sex with a 15, or say a 30 year old prostitute.

I find the choice of wording here - "having sex with a 15/16 year old" - somewhat troubling, as we are talking about an allegation (unproven, granted) of committing an offense against a minor, and one likely, statistically, to come from a troubled background and to be a vulnerable person.

I'm not defending Reed here. But walking into a brothel and having sex with a seemingly consenting "overage" 15 year old is one situation. One a man of Reed's profile should never have gotten into, no matter how drunk he was or wasn't.
    Visiting a hospital and raping a patient whatever their age is quite another.
    On those simple grounds alone Reed and Savile differ.

I'm not defending Reed here. But walking into a brothel and having sex with a seemingly consenting "overage" 15 year old is one situation. One a man of Reed's profile should never have gotten into, no matter how drunk he was or wasn't.

Some would disagree. Eh, Porsche?

I take your point but I believe all of these factors are taken into account in sentencing guidelines. I am still troubled by use of phrases like 'consenting' and 'overage' in respect of a fifteen year old prostitute. I assume when you say 'overage' you mean someone that looked overage? Fair enough, that's a possibility. But under the eyes of the law, statutory rape would apply here, if allegation is true.

I take your point but I believe all of these factors are taken into account in sentencing guidelines. I am still troubled by use of phrases like 'consenting' and 'overage' in respect of a fifteen year old prostitute. I assume when you say 'overage' you mean someone that looked overage? Fair enough, that's a possibility. But under the eyes of the law, statutory rape would apply here, if allegation is true.

True, that's what I meant when I said Reed should have known better. A professional actor with his talents / experience might be expected to know that people in brothels are inclined to tell lies.
    My point is, strolling into a hospital (sometimes mental institutions of which you're a patron), and raping patients is in another field of morality altogether.
    The lawyers can crunch laws and phrases - I'll stick with a situation I could understand someone for being in and a deed for which I'd happily kill the perpetrator.

True, that's what I meant when I said Reed should have known better. A professional actor with his talents / experience might be expected to know that people in brothels are inclined to tell lies.
    My point is, strolling into a hospital (sometimes mental institutions of which you're a patron), and raping patients is in another field of morality altogether.
    The lawyers can crunch laws and phrases - I'll stick with a situation I could understand someone for being in and a deed for which I'd happily kill the perpetrator.

I agree, and certainly wasn't attempting to argue to the contrary. I only brought Savile into the discussion because another poster was talking about how the allegation against Reed wouldn't suggest he was a paedophile, given the girl was allegedly 15. But Savile was possibly also not a peadophile but an ebebophile of a particularly pedatory nature - something approaching a psychopath, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ollie would be boozed up in these situations, not a good man to make a judgement call on age I'd imagine. If 16 is the age of consent its reality that many 15 year olds will pass for it.

Reed was different to any vanilla celeb around today, his world was full of excess and madness, the guy allegedly swung both ways and lived it up every way imaginable. I don't believe the guy was a dirty nonce.

• Advertisement

I agree, and certainly wasn't attempting to argue to the contrary. I only brought Savile into the discussion because another poster was talking about how the allegation against Reed wouldn't suggest he was a paedophile, given the girl was allegedly 15. But Savile was possibly also not a peadophile but an ebebophile of a particularly pedatory nature - something approaching a psychopath, perhaps.

Savile is in the same locked room as Hitler or Stalin in terms of psychopathy. Power based, sex mad, evil. They don't have the box to put him in. In internet terms, all three have become "as bad as..." stereotypes. In truth, Hitler and Stalin committed mass murder across continents and are black and white bad guys to a modern audience. Savile was in our living rooms making wishes come true. He truly is "the ghost in the wardrobe".
    Most of us weren't abused by a priest but most of us watched a few episodes of "Jim'll Fix It". As someone said above, Ollie Reed was a drunken buffoon. I'll meet five of them before the week is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's the mirror. I'll bide me time waiting for a news source to report on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Isn't the definition of paedophilia the sexual attraction to pre-pubescents?
    That might be the definition, but in common parlance today it is used for attraction to anyone under AOC.

And by going along with the common parlance do we not reduce the rightful stigma against paedophiles?

The AOC in Spain used to be 13. If Mr Reed was still alive, he could almost have claimed a navigation error.

I think the media do a huge disservice to victims by lumping in AOC offenders with paedophiles.

Nodin wrote: »

Oh, you'll be blocked for that.

And by going along with the common parlance do we not reduce the rightful stigma against paedophiles?

The AOC in Spain used to be 13. If Mr Reed was still alive, he could almost have claimed a navigation error.

I think the media do a huge disservice to victims by lumping in AOC offenders with paedophiles.

Possibly the French system makes the most sense, AOC of 15 but:-

" Article 227-27 prohibits sexual relations with minors over age 15 (aged 15, 16 or 17) " 1° where they are committed by an ascendant or by any other person having authority over the victim; 2° where they are committed by a person abusing the authority conferred by his functions."[27]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe#France

Remember the recent case where the English teacher was extradited from France, he had relations with a 15 year old which would not have been offense under French law ordinarily but was in this case because he was her teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did he know the girl was 15 or did he ask for a hooker and the madame gave him a 15 year old and he done the deed under the assumption she was of age if she was working as a hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

A known hellraiser like Reed going to a brothel most likely stocious drunk and ending up with a 15 year old who most likely could pass for the AOC ?

I wouldn't lynch the poor ****er just yet.

Nodin wrote: »

I suppose in that case you are not interested in the expose into the unsolved murder of Jill Dando, which Mark Williams-Thomas in conjunction with the Mirror will be reporting on in coming days.

Tick, tock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

John Peel was technically a paedo too then. Did you know that?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2794855/by-honouring-sex-predator-like-john-peel-bbc-shows-s-learnt-jimmy-savile-says-stephen-glover.html
    Why not the same hate towards him?

And I would guess that many of the top music stars from the 50s, 60, 70, 80s probably have a past they'd like to hide from the news, as I am sure many would have found it hard to turn down the advances of their young female fan base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

A pedophile is someone attracted to pre-pubescent children.

I'll try to find a link but a recent survey showed men pictures of full body females with the heads blurred out . The results ? something like 80% of those surveyed were attracted to the 14-17 year old body shape.

Advertisement