Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The backhaul sounds quite limited, but the setup wouldn't be unusual.
    It's just a remote subscriber unit, basically a bit of an exchange located remotely from it.

The two types of exchanges used by Eircom were specifically chosen because they could do that as it fits the Irish population spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

They've been using small exchanges for decades, there's nothing new except that the more recent ones are in cabinets instead of little huts. The 1980s versions were in air conditioned shipping containers.

The difference is the gear has just become a LOT more compact.

There seems to be plenty of those Alcatel cabinets, or their Ericsson equivalents scattered around the place.

They're used in urban areas too where a new housing development or business park pops up.
    Using rubbish back haul with them is pretty short sighted though, they shouldn't have any issue providing 24mbit/s ADSL2+ as it's not old equipment.

They'd actually be able to do that very effectively with e Fibre cabinets.

Doing exchange launched VDSL would be fairly pointless anywhere more than 1km from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I suppose it's self evident from the map, but Achill is ADSL1 and shall remain so until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Achill Sound has bigger problems than being ADSL1:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20251:achill-broadband-blown-away&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Its covered by the NBP though, so something will be done eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

ED E wrote: »
    Achill Sound has bigger problems than being ADSL1:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20251:achill-broadband-blown-away&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Its covered by the NBP though, so something will be done eventually.

I know. I didn't want to go off topic though. ;)

They're quite likely very old digital microwave systems, still using ATM protocols that were originally spec'd to connect a telephone exchange, not broadband.

That would mean enough designed capacity to host a remote voice & ISDN node, not ADSL services.

Shoehorning ADSL onto legacy infrastructure from the early 1990s or even older is probably the issue.

You can have all the modern gear in the world but its only as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

Bear in mind that the PSTN has been using digital tech since 1980 and digital microwave links were used with crossbar (electromechanical exchanges) in the 1970s.

Fibre optics have been in use since the 1980s too. So just because something's fibre or digital doesn't mean it's not absolutely ancient technology.

• Advertisement

They're mounted on wooden poles and are 20yrs old, not super surprising they underperform. Eircom just hasnt upgraded as theres no competition around most of the remote link exchanges.

Its a vicious circle too : service deteriorates or is substandard, wireless broadband services provide a better alternative and mobile services are more affordable and compeditively priced.

So, rural customers cut their landlines as all they provide is 2mbit/s low reliability broadband and overpriced voice.

Then Eircom makes less money and the node becomes even less attractive to spend money upgrading. So it just gets left to gather dust and become increasingly obsolete.

I think you're also looking at gear that's from Eircom's asset sweating era - cheap, shortsighted, quick fix solutions designed to keep 1980s digital exchanges running, provide a product that barely meets the description of broadband so they can tick some box on their reports to ComReg and spend no money.

I think ultimately what should happen is where eircom can't or won't provide services that exchange should be taken over by some rural telecoms state agency and eircom reduced to just being a service provider.

Remote areas with bad connectivity would be better off with multiple networks cooperating to provide solid coverage. The population is not dense enough to sustain all these networks.

Right now eircom have the choice of spending money on more and more Huawei cabs or upgrading radio links and the licence fees associated with that knowing fully well the new dishes will only patch the problem for a year or two. Doesnt make financial sense, they'll just wait to slowly join them to core fibre and make em "NGN.

That or they're hoping that the state will subsidise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Recently told my Eircom that there is 12Mbps at the Glin, Co Limerick exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Kilmihil exchange up to 3 Mb/s - in reality 1.5 to 2 at off peak.

Around 0.2 down during peak (essentially unusable)

Reported the issue with comreg after getting nowhere with the ISP or eircom. Comreg have wrote back stating that it is a congestion issue and there is nothing they can do.

Arrrrrrrggggggg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

ads20101 wrote: »

Reported the issue with comreg after getting nowhere with the ISP or eircom. Comreg have wrote back stating that it is a congestion issue and there is nothing they can do.

Comreg are as useful as a fart in a spacesuit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finianr123

Hayestown Co. Meath

Receiving download speed max 1mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

finianr123 wrote: »
    Hayestown Co. Meath

Receiving download speed max 1mb

Hayestown not on any list to be upgraded yet slane and johnstown either side is/has

Vego wrote: »
    Hayestown not on any list to be upgraded yet slane and johnstown either side is/has

Had an engineer out for a line fault today, An have been informed that the exchange has been upgraded but the equipment has yet to be commissioned this was due to take place last month ....so he has no idea when this will happen but soon...happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 atlantic2015

Vego,finianr123
    for hayestown exchange (I think this is also called beauparc exchange). I have also been told exchange will be upgraded by eircom support after logging complaint via comreg (although, this sometimes depends on who responds to my calls).
    I get regular dropping/disconnecting of broadband signal (not just slow speeds). Hence, I get no continuous service. I have been told this is due to contention and overload in the exchange, and that the only fix is to upgrade the exchange (although, this may be incorrect). Others in the area must be experiencing the same effect.
    Initial date for fix was given to be early january, and that has slipped to early march (sometime around now).
    This is the second date that's with comreg, and they are awaiting a response in the coming 2 weeks.

for instance, it took me 15 minutes to send a 3 line email (this week) trying to wait on a connection that would stay up long enough. (I suspect the school holidays may have increased the usage..).

Atlantic your time-frame was correct the engineer said as much ....upon a recent conversation with eircom via the talkto section the rep spoke to networks who have denied anywork has taken place and they do not intend on doing any in the near future :( I dont know whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 atlantic2015

I am awaiting feedback from ComReg and Eircom as to the right level of detail. It has been stated to ComReg that it will be upgraded. If I hear anything, I will post here. Not sure why different answers appear to be coming from Eircom.

I am awaiting feedback from ComReg and Eircom as to the right level of detail. It has been stated to ComReg that it will be upgraded. If I hear anything, I will post here. Not sure why different answers appear to be coming from Eircom.

A doesn't know what B is doing

* edit - I think somethings happened Friday night no dropouts and good speed ...very very unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

In east Galway....

4431990084.png

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

In Drumrevagh, Ballina Co. Mayo!

4432003385.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RedLedbetter

eircom exchange map shows 4 cabinets in Mountrath, Laois:

MTH1_E01 --> now efibre enabled
    MTH1_010 --> planned
    MTH1_002 --> planned
    MTH1_004 --> planned
    MTH1_008 --> planned

Despite this, I have been told by eircom sales that I am connect to the MOUNTRATH exchange (MTHB) which is no plan to be enabled and which I cannot find on any exchange/cabinet map?

So all I can say is MTHB (Mountrath, Laois) is only offering a 3MBps product.

If anyone can shed some light on the relationship between the cabinets above and MTHB, I'll gladly accept it as I'm lost!

Theres a month or twos lag between when an exchange goes live and when NGA is allowed to be ordered. You need to wait until they mark it as next generation so you can get at least the up to 24Mbps product.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bealtine wrote: »
    Comreg are as useful as a fart in a spacesuit...

wonder what the political appointee to industry experts ratio is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

quattro777 wrote: »
    In east Galway....

4431990084.png

sweet

Advertisement