Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmissable PS2 Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've decided to start with Dragon Quest VIII

Clever move.

Such a good game. Wish I could start it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good choice it's really damn good. It want the absolute finest in PS2 RPGs then you should try Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's call and Persona 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was a classic. One of my favourites from the series. Second one actually wasnt bad either, apart from the excess of cut-scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Might not be your cup of tea, but Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 were brilliant. Not too expensive to get a sealed copy on eBay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Any love for Dark Chronicle? Very similar in vein to DQVIII, always a love of mine though - and very beautiful even today. Level 5 are a very talented studio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

martyos121 wrote: »
    Might not be your cup of tea, but Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 were brilliant. Not too expensive to get a sealed copy on eBay either.

Best played on the original GameCube....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same with Resident Evil 4, the GameCube version was miles better than the PS2 version, though they did put more content in the PS2 version. (All later combined into the Wii version!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Me cheering for the Dreamcast while looking at that bar chart:

AlxlIUX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Plenty of grind in that game if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Final Fantasy X

(awaits Tidus laughing vid)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of grind in that game if I remember correctly.

It's not that bad, the game is about making Dungeon runs and if you die in a dungeon you just lose half the money you've not banked but keep the experience. I only really had to grind to beat the infamous Dhoulmagus fight but if you get to there you should be going metal slime hunting and doing other sub quests to gain levels.

Final Fantasy X

(awaits Tidus laughing vid)

I played through it recently and while it's a good game it's waaaaay over rated. There's way better RPGs on the system including Dragon Quest VII, BoF Dragon Quarter and the Shin Megami Tensei games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

231.jpg

Criminally underrated game.

Thargor wrote: »

I hope to god you are trolling that game is a shoe in for biggest load of pish on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thargor wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg

Not trolling, I loved that game, probably wouldn't have if Id been online at the time and seen all the bile directed at it but myself and another guy rented it from Xtravision as a punt one afternoon and finished it in a day, the on-rail shooting bits weren't great but they never are, the actual combat was great fun, perfect mix of guns and fists, and it was a proper Matrix story aswell, Ive finished that game about 5 times now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

3 words..Canis Canem Edit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a truly terrible game, massive hype at launch and let lots of fans of the movies down.
    Happily, most of the movies fans had no friends and seldom went out, so word of the disaster didn't reach far before lots had bought it.
    SARCASM ALERT!
    1425531499085.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I can't say I enjoyed Enter The Matrix, but I ... got through it.
    It had some decent bits, but they were few and far between.

I just remember how laughably bad it was. The fighting system was poo, the graphics were dreadful other than the two main characters models and the bugs were hilarious. There were some suspect physics and AI going on in the driving sections especially if the AI was driving, he would flip the car, run into walls and the car would magically right itself. Some sections were flat out broken lots bosses that would crash the game 80% of the time or doing very elaborate movements at some points to avoid crash triggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The Punisher

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Punisher

I loved the PC version of that. Was easy to get a patch to remove all of the silly filters and witness the gore properly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Timesplitters 2, excellent multiplayer by Goldeneye Team

I remember you could link PS2s by cable and manys a day were spent having a 12 player with loads of cans, three 42 inch tvs in the middle of the room and having one hit kills and first to 50 and the person with the lowest score had to be the monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Only 1 post mentioned Farenheit? I'm surprised, I loved that game thought it was the best story driven game, possibly till Heavy Rain.

Another I'd like to add to the list is The Getaway, set in England and it's brilliant to play, controls can be a bit dodgy when going back to play it now, but you'll pick it up pretty handy. Great game.

When it comes to story, Fahrenheit and heavy rain fail miserably, still Fahrenheit is definitely worth playing.

Ah yeah the Getaway! I dont think Ive thought of that game since I finished it back in the day tbh, great gunplay in it, I seem to remember assaulting a stately mansion or museum or something through the gardens then into the house and thinking at the time that it was one of the best things Id ever played. They were a bit too faithful with the satellite mapping of London though, most of the time you were stuck in traffic or playing bumper cars in the tiny streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

The getaway:black monday was a pretty good sequel with slightly improved gameplay. I have to say as a Native East london boy both of these games were pretty spot on. :cool:

Other Ps2 games I enjoyed.

Project Eden for that great player switching.

Primal

Outrun coast to coast - a guilty pleasure I still enjoy, top notch arcade racer

Just Cause - The map size seemed to make san andreas look like a beer garden, I could be wrong though.

Eyetoy play, just pure daftness

Outrun Coast to Coast is anything but a guilty pleasure. That game is just plain awesome.

First time I ever played Deus Ex was on PS2, one of the best games on the system just for the fact that its Deus Ex but probably better played on pc with a few mods now.

• Advertisement

Just remembered another Xtravision punt from the days before looking stuff up online that we ended up playing all night in our house, Project Eden, a squad based action puzzler, very well made game that you never seem to see mentioned anywhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eden

Advertisement