Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmissable PS2 Games?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 12:05pm

The last console I had was an N64. I completely missed out on the most popular console of all time.

0de7e57572e22b6e4c77ed24f6884065.gif

I think its about time I see what all the fuss is about. My cousin says I can get a lend of one but I don't know where to start with games. So what would be your top 5 ps2 games in no particular order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I feel like for a console as long-lasting & developed as the PS2, a Top 10 is more appropriate.

* Ico
    * Shadow of the Colossus
    * Persona 3 FES
    * Persona 4
    * Final Fantasy XII
    * Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
    * Okami
    * Metal Gear Solid 3
    * Metal Gear Solid 2
    * Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rogue galaxy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
    Katamari Damacy and We love Katamari
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Earth Defence Force
    Shadow Hearts Covenant and From the New World
    Gitaroo Man
    God Hand
    Silent Hill 2 and 3
    Project Zero 1-3
    Steambot Chronicles
    Psychonauts
    Prince of Persia 1-3
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Trapt
    Klonoa 2

That's all I can think of that haven't been mentioned.

Of the ones mentioned above skip Devil May Cry 2 and Rogue Galaxy, they're not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Rez was considered "essential" and "ground-breaking" at one stage, not sure now, I never liked it.

For a very unique experience I'd recommend Dynasty Tactics. Blends a strategy RPG with a puzzle game. Would love an update for Vita!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    Rez was considered "essential" and "ground-breaking" at one stage, not sure now, I never liked it.

It still is an amazing game although the HD version is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It still is an amazing game although the HD version is even better.

Bet you got the Jap-exclusive vibration "controller":pac:

penev10 wrote: »
    Bet you got the Jap-exclusive vibration "controller":pac:

Pro tip: Be careful when buying one of these second hand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Get the Taito Legends, Capcom and Midway/Williams collections, a fantastic overview of all that is great about the last 30 years of videogames.

Cold Winter, I mention it a lot but only because its so good.

Fantavision, a launch game, a tech demo maybe , but I love it.

Rule of Rose and Silent Hill 2 present original concepts of what a horror game should be, the former hard to come by and latter less so and a stone cold essential.

I'd look at modding the console to be region free as well, there's a massive selection of great Jap only titles out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot of the games I'd recommend have been given HD make overs.

Definitely DQVIII.

I have Rogue Galaxy but never got around to playing it.

Thouroughly enjoyed FF12.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved rogue galaxy personally so I would still recommend it, had a lot of fun with it, also I would recommend grandia 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Can't think of any game that stand out, get a PS1 instead

I loved rogue galaxy personally so I would still recommend it

I tried to play it and thought I'd love it after Dragon Quest VIII but I just found the whole thing an absolute slog with dungeons that were far too long and a storyline that was basically just a rip off of Star Wars. The crappy story and combat just wore me down and I gave up. It reminds me of Ni No Kuni in a lot of ways except that game is far worse.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried to play it and thought I'd love it after Dragon Quest VIII but I just found the whole thing an absolute slog with dungeons that were far too long and a storyline that was basically just a rip off of Star Wars. The crappy story and combat just wore me down and I gave up. It reminds me of Ni No Kuni in a lot of ways except that game is far worse.

I will agree with you that the dungeons in the second part of the game were a slog but I still enjoyed the story, had a kind of cyber punk feel too it, which I love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Rogue galaxy

Thought Rogue Galaxy was woefully mediocre to be honest.

That said Dark Chronicle from the same developer would be a must play PS2 game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (skip 2. Horrible, horrible game. And 3 is a prequel to 1 so you won't miss anything story-wise either)
    Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 (and obviously 1 if you haven't played it, as the PS2 was backwards compatible)
    Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City & San Andreas
    Bully
    God of War 1 & 2
    Prince of Persia games
    SSX Tricky
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted
    Spider-Man 2
    Mortal Kombat: Deception (both the other MK games are great too, but I really enjoyed the single-player side game in Deception)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

megaten wrote: »
    Thought Rogue Galaxy was woefully mediocre to be honest.

That said Dark Chronicle from the same developer would be a must play PS2 game for me.

Couldn't get into Dark Chronicle for the life of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'll pick something off beat:
    Star Ocean: Till The End of Time

A Final Fantasy real time cyberpunk/sci fi JRPG. Amazing universe and great atmosphere, long 80 hour game too (story) It starts off a great pace and slows down early and having no internet as a teenager, I had no idea where the stories or locations would put me next, like a long long season of anime Star Trek. But I have to warn you the story goes bat**** insane later on, whether you like it or not will be down to personal tastes. Its one of the most infamous twists in gaming.

I didn't play the previous two in the series as they're not connected in any relevant way and you don' t need to.
    Its very engaging gameplay wise and similar to Final Fantasy XII, but more frantic

It was one of those games that kept on giving, in the vein of whether Frodo and co would ever get the fcuk to Mt.Doom, but at the same time not wanting them to get there because the journey was very satisfying

Jak 1-3 should be mentioned here, if they haven't already.

Have to recommend against Star Ocean: Til the End of Time. The battle system is fun but like all the Star Oceans it turns into a medieval RPG after the opening because of some prime directive nonsense. Also for fans of the original 2 games the games big twist is a total kick in the balls to series fans.

It's really only recommended for people that like a meaty battle system and can ignore everything else.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't get into Dark Chronicle for the life of me.

Neither could I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Need for speed underground 2

/thread

The thread didn't end. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Ace Combat Zero: Belkan War is great
    Canis Canem Edit: Bully
    Persona 4
    Spider Man 2
    007 Nightfire and the one before it (great for splitscreen mayhem)

007: Everything or Nothing would have been the best Bond movie for Brosnan.
    Its one of the best third person action game I've ever played, very satisfying and didn't get the sales it deserved. You actually feel like Bond

The sensation of speed and handling in this one parts better than most full games. I played this so many times as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Adamantium wrote:
    007: Everything or Nothing would have been the best Bond movie for Brosnan. Its one of the best third person action game I've ever played, very satisfying and didn't get the sales it deserved. You actually feel like Bond

really enjoyed that too. can I add psi ops, second sight and no one lives forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

sweetie wrote:
    really enjoyed that too. can I add psi ops, second sight and no one lives forever.

and XIII and metal arms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, easily the best two games on the system.
    Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for your car fix.
    Dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU & Raiden DX for your shmup fix. DX was released on the PS1 technically but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

You will be spoilt for choice, the PS2 has an amazing selection of games, and a lot of them are dirt cheap now.

My top ten:

1. Persona 3
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Disgaea Hour of Darkness
    4. Deus Ex
    5. Fahrenheit
    6. Metal Gear Solid 3
    7. Dragon Quest VIII
    8. Ico
    9. Okami
    10. Jak 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 is still one of my most favourite racing titles of all time.

• Advertisement

I've decided to start with Dragon Quest VIII

Advertisement