Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

• 12-03-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Let’s face it, most people love a nice, messy, doner kebab! But how to replicate the experience at home – surely a rotisserie grill would be needed? Here’s how! Adapted from Kenny McGovern’s The Takeaway Secret - a genuine must if you want make homemade fast food. This method bakes rather than grills the meat but it gives an excellent result – IMHO the taste of the meat is nicer than that from many kebab shops, and close to even the best. You also have the added advantage of knowing exactly what’s in your kebab (the FSAI did a survey in Dublin last year which found several kebab shops were passing off chicken and beef as lamb - link) and it isn’t even particularly unhealthy – the only fat is in the lamb mince, and a lot of it comes out during cooking. I’ve also included recipes from the same book for a salad to stick in your kebab, and red and white kebab sauces for total authenticity! I had also intended to include a recipe for taftoon bread (instead of pittas) for the 100% Zaytoon experience, but unfortunately didn’t get beyond one recipe which didn’t work great. However, there are plenty of recipes online if you wish to do this also.

Lamb doner kebabs
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon plain flour
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (I just use Herbes de Provence with some basil)
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    500 g/1.1 lb lamb mince
    Pitta breads

Preheat the oven to 180°C (160C fan). In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly by hand for 2–3 minutes. Make sure you really get in there; punch and knead until the kebab meat is extremely smooth with no air pockets remaining.

lamb%20with%20spices_zpsrfovetiz.jpg

Shape the mixture into a small loaf and place on a baking tray.

lamb%20loaf_zpsc24ytoqv.jpg

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
    Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice the doner kebab as thinly as possible.

sliced%20lamb_zpscjwwyzcs.jpg

Serve in pitta breads with the salad and sauces below.

kebab_zpshalivg9i.jpg

Kebab salad
    Ingredients
    2 red onions, finely sliced
    1 carrot, grated
    ¼ cucumber, thinly sliced
    4–5 red cabbage leaves, finely sliced
    1 large handful of shredded lettuce
    1 tomato, sliced
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3–4 tablespoons or to taste Red Kebab Sauce (below)
    1–2 jalapeno peppers

Place the sliced onions in a bowl of cold water for around 30 minutes. Drain well through a sieve and pat the onion dry with kitchen paper.
    In a large bowl, combine the sliced onion, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, sliced cabbage leaves, shredded lettuce and sliced tomato. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Dress with the Red Kebab Sauce and garnish with the jalapeno peppers.

Red kebab sauce
    Ingredients
    6 tablespoons tomato ketchup , 4 tablespoons water , teaspoon mint sauce , chilli powder to taste, pinch of salt.

In a bowl or serving tub, combine the tomato ketchup, water, mint sauce, chilli powder and salt. Add chilli powder sparingly at first until the desired heat is obtained. Add a little more water until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.

White kebab sauce
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon natural yogurt, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, pinch of salt, pinch of dried mixed herbs, 1 tablespoon water.

In a bowl or serving tub, combine the mayonnaise, natural yogurt, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and dried parsley or mixed herbs. Mix thoroughly until well combined. Add the water and mix thoroughly again until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Chill for 1–2 hours before serving.

lamb%20and%20sides_zpsberiscvs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I have never ever had a kebab in Ireland, but this looks great, I'd love to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

*applause*

I really cannot wait to try this. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Ohhhh, gonna try that this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

not even 10am and im dreaming of kebab goodness! definitely giving this a go over the weekend, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

made it using pork mince as I had it in the fridge as a trial run, absolutely amazing, will only get better with Lamb mince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

nice, i always wanted to try this. i am going to try it with chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Looks Yummy thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

nice, i always wanted to try this. i am going to try it with chicken.
    From the same book:

CHICKEN DONER KEBAB
    Serves 1
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon tomato purée
    4 tablespoons lemon juice
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 medium skinless, boneless chicken thighs (around 113 g/4 oz total weight)
    2 lemon slices

In a large bowl or food-safe bag, add the olive oil, tomato purée, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, salt and black pepper.

Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut into small, thin pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and mix well. Marinade for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible.

Heat a dry, flat frying pan to a high heat. Drop the chicken pieces into the pan and leave untouched for 1 minute. Turn the chicken pieces and continue to fry for a further 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fry the chicken in batches if necessary, leaving enough room in the pan for the chicken pieces to fry at a high heat. When each batch is cooked, set aside in the oven at the lowest available setting to keep warm until all of the chicken is ready.

When all of the chicken pieces are cooked, arrange on a plate and garnish with lemon slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Thanks for this! A while back had been looking at 'patty-kebab' recipes but never got around to it. I get disappointed almost every time I get a kebab outside of Germany other than the 2 place that do a decent enough job at it down in Cork! Got some turkey mince in the freezer that I will try this with and lamb as soon as I get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Had this last night, very tasty and nice and quick to make, will definitely do this again, thanks OP!

• Advertisement

Nice. Any idea where to buy/how to make the proper pitta that the likes of good kebab shops like zaytoons use?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This looks amazing, and what a clever way to do the meat. I'd imagine you'd get nice crispy bits on the outside of the meat. I'll definitely be making this soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well after not finding lamb mince in 2 places I tried, I settled for pork mince. It was really good! Something a bit fun and different from a normal sandwich.

I had all the fixings out on the table, and my boyfriend grabbed a pitta and the tongs, looked at me expectantly and said "everything in it, love?" :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen a similar version of this where the meat was packed into an empty tin can & then baked. The meat was then shaved off using a sharp knife or potato peeler. Am looking forward to trying this soon.

Dónal wrote: »
    Nice. Any idea where to buy/how to make the proper pitta that the likes of good kebab shops like zaytoons use?

Zaytoon use Taftoon bread AFAIK. As I said above, I intended to include a recipe for this with the post, but ran out of time to nail down a recipe. I tried one, but the dough didn't work well - probably as I used out of date yeast! It tasted fine though but was just a bit of a disaster making it. There's plenty of recipes online though - most are similar, and simple. You just may need some time to do the various steps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Made this on Saturday but with beef mince. I don't like lamb at all. Himself adores kebabs, and he was really happy too. Brilliant recipe will definitely be a go-to in future, thanks!

Made this tonight and it was absolutely amazing, just like what you'd get in a nice Kebab shop except that you know 100% what's in it.
    Loved the red sauce.

Had two so I'm fairly stuffed at this stage! :):o

342267.JPG

Cheers OP.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Made this tonight and it was absolutely amazing, just like what you'd get in a nice Kebab shop except that you know 100% what's in it.
    Loved the red sauce.

Had two so I'm fairly stuffed at this stage! :):o

342267.JPG

Cheers OP.
    Cheers Baz. Now THAT looks like a tasty dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I can't stop thinking about this.

there's a butcher near me who I'm sure if he doesn't have lamb mince, will mince some lamb for me.

What should I get him to mince?

I can't stop thinking about this.

there's a butcher near me who I'm sure if he doesn't have lamb mince, will mince some lamb for me.

What should I get him to mince?

Lamb mince is not difficult to get. Most supermarkets will have it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just use the packet from Aldi IIRC. 15% fat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ooooh. i had some lamb mince that was going to become keema, but i think this will sidetrack me!

Grand, thanks lads.

These were delicious, loads left for a salad tomorrow as well! I'll leave out the obligatory "i didn't have X so i used Y". :P

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

Edit: Feic, forgot the onion, could have used that for a bit of bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Mine turned out really dry only substitute was i couldn't get onion powder so used dry fried onions the salad type.
    What did i do wrong?

Overcooked maybe. I checked mine after 40 mins and it was well done.

They would be somewhat drier than some kebab shops, but that's only because there's more actual met in them - but they should still be juicy. How long did you cook them for? The original recipe specified 80 minutes, but I brought it back to an hour as I thought they were too dry at 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

From the same book:

CHICKEN DONER KEBAB
    Serves 1
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon tomato purée
    4 tablespoons lemon juice
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 medium skinless, boneless chicken thighs (around 113 g/4 oz total weight)
    2 lemon slices

In a large bowl or food-safe bag, add the olive oil, tomato purée, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, salt and black pepper.

Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut into small, thin pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and mix well. Marinade for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible.

Heat a dry, flat frying pan to a high heat. Drop the chicken pieces into the pan and leave untouched for 1 minute. Turn the chicken pieces and continue to fry for a further 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fry the chicken in batches if necessary, leaving enough room in the pan for the chicken pieces to fry at a high heat. When each batch is cooked, set aside in the oven at the lowest available setting to keep warm until all of the chicken is ready.

When all of the chicken pieces are cooked, arrange on a plate and garnish with lemon slices.

that's perfect thanks. i was thinking of using boned chicken thighs, keeping them whole, skewering them and cooking them slowly upright in a fan oven, similar to the real thing :)
    gona try this next week.

got the lamb mince in Aldi this morning, I'm having these later. Wife is a veggie, so she's making kind of chickpea falafaly kind of things to put in here.

I forgot to get Jalapenos, so need to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Falafaly :D:D:D

Advertisement