Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Sorry, it was actually winter selection, not seasonal. So like some cinnamon and other spices in there.

Anything on cask is considered "Real Ale".

Please, please stop being gay or i'm going to have to call you both hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Whatever man. Heterosexuality and unspiced beer is too mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

mad muffin wrote: »
    I like Bud and Coors. So yeah… fück you. Oh and craft beer tastes like dirty sock water strained through moody week old jock straps.

So you like fizzy water then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jamsiek wrote: »
    So you like fizzy water then

Please don't bring my beloved Pellegrino into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Please don't bring my beloved Pellegrino into this.

I hear he might get the boot ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Good people drink good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I noticed that people that drink craft beers are people that dont really drink. They have a couple of beers and gone home by 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Warper wrote: »
    I noticed that people that drink craft beers are people that dont really drink. They have a couple of beers and gone home by 10

I believe "Sensible" is the word you're searching for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sounds like me alright, I like to drink a few nice beers, chat to friends and have a chilled out time. Going out all night knocking back pint after pint just doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Plus one gets real pissed off dealing with skaggy hangovers as you get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Typically craft beer is 5% or 6% . Even more ..

A couple is all a need before I start feeling the alcohol.

Time to go home, before I start trying to solve the country's problems to the poor unfortunate next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You seem to be spending too much time noticing other people. You should drink more.

Typically craft beer is 5% or 6% . Even more ..

A couple is all a need before I start feeling the alcohol.

Time to go home, before I start trying to solve the country's problems to the poor unfortunate next to me.

Ah there's not really a typical craft beer percentage, it can be anything, I love a nice lower ABV ale. Something like Fyne Ales Jarl, 3.8% and lovely citrusy thing going on with the hops, nothing like it when the weather gets hot. :)

How do you manage to stay ahead in the competitive world of drinking? Injecting beer?

anncoates wrote: »
    How do you manage to stay ahead in the competitive world of drinking? Injecting beer?

Vodka eyeballin' of course!

Links234 wrote: »
    Ah there's not really a typical craft beer percentage, it can be anything, I love a nice lower ABV ale. Something like Fyne Ales Jarl, 3.8% and lovely citrusy thing going on with the hops, nothing like it when the weather gets hot. :)

I'm lucky enough to have a local brewery that has a world class (97 points beer advocate rating) IPA - Le Cumbre Elevated IPA at 7.2% A true strong American IPA. Wham bam thank you m'aam..

That's pretty awesome! :D I probably wouldn't like it though, me and higher ABVs are at disagreements over matters political and social and just don't see eye to eye at all, so I tend not to drink 'em :o

Thornbridge's Jaipur is probably one of the strongest that I'd call a favourite, which weighs in at 5.9%

Links234 wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome! :D I probably wouldn't like it though, me and higher ABVs are at disagreements over matters political and social and just don't see eye to eye at all, so I tend not to drink 'em :o

Thornbridge's Jaipur is probably one of the strongest that I'd call a favourite, which weighs in at 5.9%

They tend to brew high around here. I have a Marble Red Ale on tap at 6.5% and also Le Cumbre's Session Pale Ale is a 5.8% even as a 'session' beer.
    If you are at all a hophead then the session is brewed with Simcoe hops, and almost, not quite, as good as the elevated IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

MadsL wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to have a local brewery that has a world class (97 points beer advocate rating) IPA - Le Cumbre Elevated IPA at 7.2% A true strong American IPA. Wham bam thank you m'aam..

And Ireland is lucky enough to have Galway Bay's "Of Foam and Fury", a 99 rated (I prefer Ratebeer to BeerAdvocate, because it has a bigger user base) Imperial IPA clocking in at 8.5% abv and 132 IBU :D
    Try it the next time you're back.

And I'm here in India with Kingfisher and McDowells Gold as my options, fml :(

And Ireland is lucky enough to have Galway Bay's "Of Foam and Fury", a 99 rated (I prefer Ratebeer to BeerAdvocate, because it has a bigger user base) Imperial IPA clocking in at 8.5% abv and 132 IBU :D
    Try it the next time you're back.

And I'm here in India with Kingfisher and McDowells Gold as my options, fml :(

Hate to break it to you as Galway Bay's brew sounds amazing, but http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/133713/
    Just squeaks ahead ;)

I don't suppose Galway Bay can it? I'd love to try it, I'll pop a can of elevated in the post if you send me your address.

• Advertisement

Hate to break it to you as Galway Bay's brew sounds amazing, but http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/133713/
    Just squeaks ahead ;)

I don't suppose Galway Bay can it? I'd love to try it, I'll pop a can of elevated in the post if you send me your address.

No canning as of yet. When I get back to Éire I'll send you my address and we'll sort out a trade, I'll send you a bottle of the Galway bay stuff and you can send me the Elevated, sounds class.

No canning as of yet. When I get back to Éire I'll send you my address and we'll sort out a trade, I'll send you a bottle of the Galway bay stuff and you can send me the Elevated, sounds class.

Sounds great. Did some reading on them - great to see a young Irish brewer making his mark, I half expected an American head brewer :) Love to trade btw :D

Yeah, that Of Foam and Fury, I've tasted it... couldn't drink it at all! It's only sold in half pints, and honestly don't think I could even finish one

Sounds great. Did some reading on them - great to see a young Irish brewer making his mark, I half expected an American head brewer :) Love to trade btw :D

There's a lad from the midwest working as head brewer of WhiteHad brewing company in Sligo with 15 years experience in american breweries and it really shows, their beers are probably the best from a new brewery even in Ireland, straight off the bat they were producing top class stuff. The made a lovely imperial stout and a really nice IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Most lager is supposed to be cold and easy to drink. That's why it's such a decent drink for slugging down on a warm day

I can't understand the obsession with ice cold drinks in Ireland. If it's cold outside then cold drinks are crazy unless the coldness serves another purpose. Really cold drinks have the effect numbing taste buds making sure the drinker doesn't have to deal with much actual flavour. When the taste buds are somewhat numbed the fizz feels all the more tangy on the tongue.

I think the fizzy texture is the best part of the big brands. A bottle of Miller tastes of nothing really but feels nice in the mouth.

I'm pretty sure the obsession with cold beer comes from watching American TV where Americans slag the UK for serving warm beer. Cold/extra cold beer makes sense in warm countries and on warm day or if you don't want to taste the beer. Since we live in a country where it's rarely warm and frequently cold then I'd prefer if beer the beer I drink was served much closer to room temp

I can't understand the obsession with ice cold drinks in Ireland. If it's cold outside then cold drinks are crazy unless the coldness serves another purpose. Really cold drinks have the effect numbing taste buds making sure the drinker doesn't have to deal with much actual flavour. When the taste buds are somewhat numbed the fizz feels all the more tangy on the tongue.

I think the fizzy texture is the best part of the big brands. A bottle of Miller tastes of nothing really but feels nice in the mouth.

I'm pretty sure the obsession with cold beer comes from watching American TV where Americans slag the UK for serving warm beer. Cold/extra cold beer makes sense in warm countries and on warm day or if you don't want to taste the beer. Since we live in a country where it's rarely warm and frequently cold then I'd prefer if beer the beer I drink was served much closer to room temp

I like normal cold lager as something like a BBQ drink when it's warm but as you say it's not so much of a tasty drink that the deadening effect of the low temperature makes a difference.

It's bizarre seeing stuff like stout / porter served up 'ice cold' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ranchu wrote: »
    People that moan about craft beers tend to have the same attitude as people that moan about vegetarians and they all end up sounding like 90 year old stuck in their ways assholes.

Thats a bit harsh. Not all vegetarians sound like 90 year old stuck in their ways assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I like normal cold lager as something like a BBQ drink when it's warm but as you say it's not so much of a tasty drink that the deadening effect of the low temperature makes a difference.

It's bizarre seeing stuff like stout / porter served up 'ice cold' though.

Not really. The macro stouts need to be cold because anything else and you'd be able to taste them. I'm still partial to a Beamish, especially if there's only macros on tap, even with most places having some wheat beers I still often choose a Beamish. I just find some of the stronger non-macro stouts far better, Leann Follain is pretty decent. West Kerry Brewery's Carraig Dubh is superb. Although I also think most micro/craft stouts are as bad the macro's. They just put a craft label on it and pump out the standard taste to try and win over Guinness drinkers who want an Irish stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm adding you to my ignore list sir :mad: ;)

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'm adding you to my ignore list sir :mad: ;)

Amazing how touchy some people get about people talking about beer.

Advertisement