Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Nimoy has died :(

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

:(:(:(:(:(:(

He was so awesome :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭keanosbeard

Guess if he wants he could have his ashes sent into space. Didn't NASA do it for Scotty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

just remembered: he also did the voice for Sentinal Prime in Transformers: Dark of the moon as well.

Also provided the voice of Galvatron from the earlier, and much superior, animated Transfomers movie.

Usually I'm quite cynical about the outpouring of grief over recently deceased celebrities, but gotta admit that this one stings.:(

RIP to a bonafide cultural icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have in my proud possession a signed copy of his memoir: "I am Spock".

RIP Mr Nimoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Man this one hurts.

Also brings home exactly why I hate reboots. Our kids will grow up thinking that that bloke from Heroes is Spock.

RIP Leonard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Goodnight and keep watching the skis

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He died on the way back to his home planet. Last words were ## beam me up''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

mojesius wrote: »
    Goodnight and keep watching the skis

Switzerland is it, on the slopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

neine, we're getting old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I wouldn't be where I am today without Spock,

he helped me revolutionise my rubber buisness by vulcanising it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

I wouldn't be where I am today without Spock,

he helped me revolutionise my rubber buisness by vulcanising it

too soon?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

His last Tweet was very poignant, he lived his life as best he could. Rest amongst the stars, Leonard Nimoy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Amazing director as well. Trek IV is a masterpiece...

Was watching the 9 o clock news on RTE, he had also directed Three Men & a BAby ;)

He said His role of Spock almost mirrored his upbringing in Boston living as a Jewish person in mostly Catholic Boston trying to fit in.

The old Star Trek is on CBS Action 6pm nightly, although the first thing i heard on the radio tonite on FN80'S was 'Star Trekkin - Across The Universe' :)

LLAP Spock.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

too soon?

na man, light years ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Was watching the 9 o clock news on RTE, he had also directed Three Men & a BAby

He was actually head hunted as a director because of that film (small budget, huge box office return) but he turned lots of offers down. Star Trek Generations would have been much better if he had of taken the offer of directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

He said His role of Spock almost mirrored his upbringing in Boston living as a Jewish person in mostly Catholic Boston trying to fit in.

that would have been like living in another planet alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I was thinking that he will be the perfect human to hand shake and introduce the humanity at the first encounter with another alien life...
    LLAP
    \\ //

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Adamantium wrote: »
    I fear someday I'll refresh AH and see this headline with Patrick Stewart :(

Me too, Ad :( Still watching "Fringe" this end (SE3E10) with guest star, Christopher Lloyd. Sooner or later, he'll be the next beloved actor wrenched from my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Astronaut on the ISS salutes Leonard Nimoy, Dr. Spock style, with a view of the Earth through the window. T'would bring a tear to a glass eye. :(

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/terry-llap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Afaik, that hand gesture is reportedly an old Jewish hand signal as featured on RTE news the other nite as he tried to bring something of his own to the character :)

Also i see William Shatner couldn't make it to the funeral :(

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Astronaut on the ISS salutes Leonard Nimoy, Dr. Spock style, with a view of the Earth through the window. T'would bring a tear to a glass eye. :(

I'm not big into sci-fi but Spock is an icon and that photo really gets me :(

Nimoy will never die, not really. His Spock is going to be remembered forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Karl Stein wrote: »

Wow! That's just so fitting and it really nails it for me :(. The death of Leonard Nimroy was like losing some of my fondest childhood memories. My love of all things Sci-Fi & Techy came from that first Star Trek and the fantastic Dr. Spock character. He was brilliant, ground breaking and became a living legend. We'll not see his like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Never really watched Star Trek as I never was a fan, but pretty much EVERYONE knows who this fella is... even some trivial facts about him. Sad news for all the Trekky fans out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's no more to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Nimoy fought to get his Star Trek co-star Michele Nichols equal pay.
    According to original Star Trek cast member Walter Koenig, Leonard Nimoy once fought to get Nichelle Nichols pay equity.

trekmovie.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Have you nothing else to be doing other than lamenting on here about a dry and dreary Hollywood jew? I do hope you people get over your grief soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Have you nothing else to be doing other than lamenting on here about a dry and dreary Hollywood jew? I do hope you people get over your grief soon.

“I have noted that the healthy release of emotion is frequently very unhealthy for those closest to you.”

Mr. Spock
    Season 3 – “Plato’s Stepchildren,” 1968

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd like to share this article by another sci-fi icon, Isaac Asimov, which really showed the influence Nimoy had in making intelligence and reason cool.

http://nerdberger.tumblr.com/post/8477209720/mr-spock-is-dreamy-by-isaac-asimov

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love everything written by Asimov, I recommend these short stories

The last question
    http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Does a Bee Care?
    http://www.9novels.net/ScienceFiction/Asimov32/27178.html

Advertisement