Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

betting screens in pubs

Options
  • 06-03-2015 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

the bookies in the village i live closed down, so three of the pubs got in the screens showing odds, boyle sports ect
    Landlady i know said she was told this was perfectly legal, i had my doubts.
    guards went in today and told them to turn it off, did not get the full story yet, so are these illegal, they are popping up in most pubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Where abouts?

I think there used to be a few pubs in Dublin that had them but not sure if they are still going?
    How are they illegal as they are only showing the prices, you would need an online account to make use of them assuming the pub isn't taking bets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Where abouts?

I think there used to be a few pubs in Dublin that had them but not sure if they are still going?
    How are they illegal as they are only showing the prices, you would need an online account to make use of them assuming the pub isn't taking bets?

the pubs have accounts with the bookies and ring in the bets, this is in cork

That's a different story.

Illegal for sure for a couple of reasons.
    Doing this is the easiest way of someone to launder money and the authorities wouldn't allow that.
    The pub is being the "bookie" for the person in the pub and as they don't have a licence to operate same, that's also a nono.

Would be very surprised the bookmaker on the other side would allow this to happen as they can't monitor the individual customers involved so someone with insider knowledge could very easily get on against going into a bookmakers shop and being restricted.
    The bookmaker involved would however increase turnover and we all know that's what a bookie wants these days.
    Would doubt if the bookmaker would be allowed to show live shows, SIS content etc somewhere they don't have authority for i.e. in a pub.
    The bookie would pay for these services but only into their shops and not (I'd guess) for rebroadcast in somewhere like a pub.

Also I'd assume the pub is getting something for (a) allowing the bookie show their prices etc in their pub and probably getting something back, commission off the bookie involved.
    Might be a problem with limits and payouts as well.
    Say what would happen if punter has a €50 accum and wins €200,000?
    He then discovers pub staff didn't ring it in, or was on the fiddle and only placing half the stakes and pocketing the rest of the stakes etc?
    Who would the bookie make the cheque out to?
    I'm sure many a pub manager or owner might be tempted to leg it with a cheque for €200k in their back pocket made payable to them or I'm sure they would look for a cut of the proceeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Local pub has it. Boyles installed it. You can set up your own account with boyles or Pub will ring in the bets. Pub gets 5% commission on winnings afaik.

Degag wrote: »
    Local pub has it. Boyles installed it. You can set up your own account with boyles or Pub will ring in the bets. Pub gets 5% commission on winnings afaik.

similar thing here in 3 pubs, i got an update, the guards went to the pubs and told them they needed to get a licence costing 2k, bit of a bummer the week before cheltenham. im still unsure why the screens were turned of as all it was doing was displaying the prices.
    landlady told me she was getting ten per cent of losing bets, be a long time recouping 2k

• Advertisement

she was getting ten per cent of losing bets
    Pub gets 5% commission on winnings afaik.

Big difference.

How would Boyles or pub know if the customers placed their bets through their own accounts for commission purposes though?
    bit of a bummer the week before cheltenham

Not if it's displaying Boyles "special offers" or prices it's not.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Big difference.

How would Boyles or pub know if the customers placed their bets through their own accounts for commission purposes though?
    landlady gives a code when she rings the odd time ive used it, so she has her own account, or had i should say lol

Advertisement