Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you shout?

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭

Bit of a weird one here, guys.

Currently writing a script and I'm a bit stumped on this. If you are chasing someone, whether you are uniformed guard or a detective, what do you shout? As in, "Stop, police!". Or is that just not a 'thing' here? "Stop, Garda!" just doesn't sound right.

I understand if this is something that can't be disclosed, but I appreciate any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Of course it can be disclosed.... They'd be shouting in public anyway. Someone will along with an answer but I would think stop Gardai wouldn't be too far wide of the mark

If they were armed that would probably be specified also

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Gardai, stop!

Or

Armed Gardai, armed police! As not everyone is privy to what an armed garda is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Freeze!
    Then have the character freeze in midair. Then have the guard say 'I wasn't expecting such an icy reception.'

PM if you want more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

"Stop" that's it I reckon if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Thanks for the replies! :)

I imagined it was something like that. It often seems to be made a big deal of internationally/stateside of "identifying" oneself. "Gardai!" probably makes sense.

I do know that the ERU have "police" on their vests and stuff. I imagine that is just to make things completely clear for non nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Over here we're trained to shout "police" regardless of actual agency affiliation (sheriff, marshall, FBI, DEA, etc) as it's a universally understood word. Uniform, plain clothes, whatever, you always lead with "police" and then as you write your narrative, you always mention words to the effect of "As a uniformed officer in a marked police car, I identified myself as "police" by clearly stating that as I approached the suspect" (regardless of the fact he was legging it away from me :-). That way there is no doubt who you are when it comes to explaining to the jury why you chased after the twat.

Besides, as soon as I say "Stop, police" and you don't, I have legal grounds to pursue you for failure to comply with a lawful order.

Even the cool guys of DEA, FBI will shout "police" as they politely tap on your door at 0400 to check and make sure you are OK and not in need of a cuppa and a biccie :-)

Besides, in Europe "police" is pronounced the same in most of the European languages, so it would make sense that a Garda say it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I am the garda of this town, stop right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

swiftblade wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! :)

I imagined it was something like that. It often seems to be made a big deal of internationally/stateside of "identifying" oneself. "Gardai!" probably makes sense.

I do know that the ERU have "police" on their vests and stuff. I imagine that is just to make things completely clear for non nationals.

When your running full tilt you don't say much.

Plus in Essence they won't stop, it defeats the piont of running in the first place.

True end to these things is the bloke gets away.
    Is rugby tackled and gets a face full of road way or concrete.
    Stops running due to exhaustion
    Or trips over some unforeseen obstacle like a slow moving granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Hey you!
    God help you if i have to put down this donut.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Irish stew! In the name of the lawwwwwwwww!!!!

Oh sorry, that's later.

• Advertisement

unichall wrote: »
    Gardai, stop!

Or

Armed Gardai, armed police! As not everyone is privy to what an armed garda is

The training is "stop armed Gardaí", you can be sure countries that don't use police in their language won't say it but you'll know what is going on.

And I don't think I've ever shouted at someone that I've been chasing, they know well who is chasing them and that we want them stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

In your best Irish Mammy voice:

"Stand still 'til I hit you"

or

"Come over here 'til I arrest you"

:P:P

Bosh wrote: »
    In your best Irish Mammy voice:

"Stand still 'til I hit you"

"

:P:P

That's only allowed if you have the wooden spoon drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHTTTTTTOOOPPP NOW boyyyy before I bait ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

"Come back you little ****er. I know who you are so I'm just going to come to your house."

I've actually seen this work. Complete bluff.

Advertisement