Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my gas bill / units so high? Gas leak?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Its in my apartment, it runs the whole house (which is two apartments, one is empty upstairs which the landlord uses when home - she lives in spain) but she is very sure that no Gas (fro heating and water) was used upstairs.

Im not sure how it can leak if its only the heating etc - from what I have read I think its possibly a boiler issue

If's it not set up for zones,you're probably heating the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

I have no idea. The heating isnt on in the hallways only within my apartment.

My heating/ hot water is run from my house, so eg I can switch it on/ off set timer etc.

The apt upstairs has a seperate system to switch on/off the gas heating and water.

However both are run off of the same meter.

No one is or has been upstairs in this time so I am not sure that is the issue.

Also I checked this morning that 22 units were used between monday night and this morning at 730am. I could have only had it on for 7 hours in total, when I switched off my Gas the meter stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

com1 wrote: »
    If you turned the gas off at the meter you are NOT checking for leaks. You need to leave the gas on at the meter and turn off ALL of your gas appliances. By the way if the meter moves at all when you do this ring 1850 20 50 50 immediately (if it were me I would leave the apartment first) do not ring your landlord and expect them to do it for you. Gas leaks in apartment blocks are extremely bad news. Remember the leaking gas is going somewhere

As com1 has pointed out if you have turned it off at the meter you won't see if there is a leak. And also as com1 has pointed out if it is leaking get out, switch off at meter and contact the Emergency line
    housetypeb wrote: »
    If's it not set up for zones,you're probably heating the whole house.

As housetypeb says you could be heating the whole house. if its two apartments there should be two meters. The LL probably won't admit to leaving something on. The rads in her apartment if its the one system would need to be off. do you have access to this apartment to check?

Do you get a bill in your own name or does the landlord tell you the amount owing?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Also I checked this morning that 22 units were used between monday night and this morning at 730am. I could have only had it on for 7 hours in total, when I switched off my Gas the meter stopped.

don't switch off the meter as you need the gas flowing when all appliances are off to see if the meter is still spinning which will indicate

1) something is using gas or 2) A LEAK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Something using gas in the other flat sounds a lot more reasonable and likely.

• Advertisement

I switched the heating etc off to see if the meter still turns. I wasnt even aware you could switch off a meter. (I meant switched off my heating and water)

The apt upstairs is accessible and nothing is CURRENTLY On.

If its heating and water, where would the leak be from?

The gas is off upstairs.

which doesnt explain the use of 22 units in less than two days does it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Any chance the LL was in the other apartment over the last billing period and accidentally let something on?

No she was gone but there were builders in. The heating etc is off upstairs so its not happening at the moment.

also since I checked it the units went up 22 and I know they have nothing on upstairs so I think it must be a boiler issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I found using the boiler Boost function used more gas than leaving it on for a long time on a low temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Did I read correctly that you had all of your appliances switched off and you still used 22 units in the last couple of days? Seriously, ring 1850 205050... do it now - Your boiler could be leaking, one of the feed pipes could be leaking - there could be gas buildups under floors, in walls, anywhere, just waiting for the right time to ignite and blow you, your apartment, the house and half the street to hell.

They will not blame you if they dont find a leak - they are actually quite good to deal with

Really... give them a call @ 1850 205050

No no, it STOPPED moving when I switched it off.

22 units were used while heating was on, only for say 8 hours over about 36 hour period!

I spoke to the LL last night and other than getting a bit of abuse, she is going to "talk" to a few people and then "take her time" to get it sorted. So she is sending round the guy that installed it. When I dont know.

Shes Very Very hard to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I spoke to the LL last night and other than getting a bit of abuse, she is going to "talk" to a few people and then "take her time" to get it sorted. So she is sending round the guy that installed it. When I dont know.

Geez good luck with it. That sounds way out of order on the LL's part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Do you have her email address? Write her an email as a follow up to the phonecall and outline that she agreed to have someone look at it and give a time when you expect this to be done. Give your concerns over the safety in case of a leak or problem with the boiler. This at least gives you a paper trail.

she told me "go move in with your mother for a few days" - my mother is undergoing Chemo treatment, which the LL knows!!

Im bulling.

She says she will sort it in her own time, the thing is usually she does all this and doesnt even consult me or tell me someone will be calling. She is a NIGHTMARE to deal with. Completely nuts, neurotic and down right rude.

Yes I am doing that this morning, along with sending pictures of the meter and the speed it is turning.

I advised her that there are no obvious reasons etc but she still send me upstairs to check and is sending round her daughter to check. her daughter is a restaurateur so what she is going to be able to do I dont know.

I am going to be requesting to deal with the daughter from now on. Im still seething over her comments last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

No she was gone but there were builders in. The heating etc is off upstairs so its not happening at the moment.

also since I checked it the units went up 22 and I know they have nothing on upstairs so I think it must be a boiler issue

What kind of work were the builders doing there? could be that they messed something up/changed settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

OP,for comparison,my latest gas bill arrived this morning. I have an old ,badly insulated 3 bed end of terrace house.My boiler provides heating(4 hours a day) and hot water.My usage was 352 m³ for 54 days or about 6.5 per day.The bill was €246.

There you go.

Theres something seriously wrong here and its not like she is being very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just to throw another one out there. Does your boiler heat the hot water for taps separately ? if there was a pipe leaking or a tap dripping, the boiler may keep heating this water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Your bill will also be higher,because upstairs and the hallway are unheated.

That doesnt make sense Vandriver???

How would my own heating effect the rest of the house, ok I have to heat mine as stand alone but why the increase this month and no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not sure how you are finding her hard to deal with. She is making call to get it sorted what's the problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Not sure how you are finding her hard to deal with. She is making call to get it sorted what's the problem??

She said she will do that in her own time so I would imagine that is a problem if their is a leak. They place could blow up.

spending an hour and a half on the phone explaining myself over and over again then being told to "go stay with your mother" is not, in my opinion professional or dealing with something in a timely manner = hard to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Melodeon

That doesnt make sense Vandriver???

How would my own heating effect the rest of the house, ok I have to heat mine as stand alone but why the increase this month and no other.

Because the unheated part of the building is soaking the heat out of the heated part.
    Your heating system has to work harder to keep up with this heat loss and keep your part at your desired temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What is her daughter going to check??
    Is she qualified to check gas installations for leaks and if they are operating correctly?
    When were the appliances last serviced by an RGI ??
    First off if you have any suspicion that you may have a gas leak, you Must call Gas Networks on 1850 20 50 50. You do not have to smell gas to have a leak.
    They will be out within the hour and will check to ensure that there are no leaks and that you are safe.
    No charge and no issue if there are no leaks.
    Alternatively,
    Call out a Registered Gas Installer (RGI) who will, for a fee...
    Check your gas pipework installation for any leaks.
    Check and Service your Gas Appliance to ensure that it is operating correctly.
    Gas Rate your gas boiler, to ensure that it is consuming the correct volume of gas.

Don't Take Chances With Gas for your safety and the safety of others.

After all that, I would be questioning the billing methods, how do you know the L.L. is charging you the correct rate for the gas? Have you seen a copy of the bill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Make sure he is a properly qualified rgi too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million guys, you have all been REALLY helpful and set my mind at ease :)

I am hoping to hear from her with news on when/if someone is coming out. I have asked for an RGI qualified professional but she just spoke over me, she is impossible to deal with honestly. (talk to) I have followed your advice and sent an email with MORE pics of the meter and asked very clearly that she keep me updated as to when someone will be out.

I havent heard back from her yet.

The issue now is that she has no understanding of tenants rights re privacy and when she is making these kinds of arrangements she NEVER tells me!!

Like when I first moved in she had allowed a builder to go through my flat/ bedroom to look out of a window at HER Roof (nothing to do with my apt) thsi happened more than once, when I confronted her about it she laughed and said well it was only for a minute?! Another time She told me she has the legal right to enter my flat whenever she needs to. I said no thats not correct, unless its an absolute emergency (fire, gas leak.....GAS LEAK etc) Funny how she wanted instant access and to get in and out of my flat for an apparent "roof leak" (which was a stain on my ceiling - I told her this AND sent pics) but now there is possible gas leaks and problems she wants to take her time about it.

Its exhausting

Advertisement