Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my gas bill / units so high? Gas leak?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi Guys,

I just got my gas bill which was added up based on my last meter reading and this months meter reading, 742 units used which is coming in after VAT etc at 560 Euro, I live in a one bed flat and have the heating on only for a few hours a day. Sometimes at the weekend more, the only thing that works off of the GAS is heating & Water.

Last bill was 410 units and was 350 Euro - this was over Christmas when I had the heating on nearly all the time.

Im desperate for some help as I have no idea why it would jump so much when I am using it the same if not less??

HELP!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Were any of the bills estimate readings or all actual readings? Do they tally with what's on the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

they were readings, I take a pic and send it to the landlord every two months, the true reading is 742 Units.

Which is wrong, I mean I cant see how its so high, even with the heating on constant in dec my bill was only 350!!! (400 units used)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What are units in this case? My units cost 8 cent. Yours cost nearly a euro.

Your bill should not be near that high, its huge compared to mine, definitely worth getting it checked out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What are units in this case? My units cost 8 cent. Yours cost nearly a euro.

Your bill should not be near that high, its huge compared to mine, definitely worth getting it checked out.

Looks like a reading of m^3 not units.

Well the bill is correct based on units used. My concern is why the units have mounted so high in two months, I had my heating on constant over Xmas and it was only 410 units so Im really worried, is there a boiler problem maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What dates are on the bill? You're likely getting your January/February usage bill now. Feb was pretty cold, as as January (tail end of Christmas).

That said, it seems high. Our last bill from end Nov-start Feb was €92. Meters were read.

If you suspect a gas leak, id both take this seriously, and turn off all gas in the house, Check the meter and see if it moves. 742 units in ~60 days should be easy to spot (12 units a day). If that returns no results, use your gas normally and just see how many units you're using per day. All about getting a better idea of your usage.

Even 410 seems like crazy amounts for a 1 bed flat. Im in a 2 bed flat which we keep cosy (outside office hours only) for ~100m^3 units per 2 months.

Its not the bill its the units you see, I take a pic of the meter every two months and it has gone up 740 Units.

I mean 12 units a day is a lots still isnt it?

Thanks

Does your meter read in m^3?

I dont know what m^3 means 1?!?!

I dont know what m^3 means ?!?!

• Advertisement

Cubic metres

If it does, then the bill cost is right compared to the amount of gas used. However it's an enormous amount of gas to use, it's double what my highest bill has been for a one bed flat over a three month period where all my heating, cooking, and hot water is from gas.

I know this is what I am saying, the amount used is 740 Units. I have read the meter and the previous one myself so know that stage is correct.

My worry is that there is somehow/ somewhere a problem, like a boiler issue, a leak etc

also wanted to check to see how this compares to everyone elses!

I have had my heating on but by no means have I used it that much thats like a mansion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

here is what I suggest

1) Take a meter reading or pic
    2) turn off all gas appliances for the day - say from when you go to work/out for the day until you get home
    3) check the reading when you get home and it should not have moved
    4) if so its usage so the boiler may need to be checked/serviced as that's high
    5) if it has moved over the day then a leak may be the issue so turn off the gas at the meter and get on to the landlord or call the 24-hour Emergency Service on 1850 20 50 50

The longer you can do 2 for the better although 740 units is about 12 a day so 1 unit every two hours so 8 hrs should be enough to give a good idea.

Also how do you have the gas coming on, timer or is it controlled by thermostat and on constant?

I know this is what I am saying, the amount used is 740 Units. I have read the meter and the previous one myself so know that stage is correct.

My worry is that there is somehow/ somewhere a problem, like a boiler issue, a leak etc

also wanted to check to see how this compares to everyone elses!

I have had my heating on but by no means have I used it that much thats like a mansion!!

Are you renting? Have you asked the landlord about it yet?

Have you only recently moved in? If not how does it compare to last year?

Thanks goldenhoarde,

I actually did that this morning Iv taken a pic and switched off the meter, it did stop when I did that this morning so I will double check when I get home, so boiler could be the issue?

Does anyone know that if this is the case, would I be within my rights to claim money back from somewhere or insist the landlord fit some of the bill?

Thank you

Hi again,

Its on timer but I click boost every now and then like in the evenings.

I know 12 units a day is well out, what is average do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP you say you're sending the landlord pictures of the readings, is the bill not in your name? Do you get to see the actual bill from the supplier?

Also just to rule it out, you're not counting the number in red from the meter are you?

Try taking a reading as outlined here and submit it yourself.

I have spoken to the landlord yes, she agrees its very high.

Im not disputing the cost as such, its the units and how high they are. They shouldn't be at 740 for what Iv used. I was estimating about 300 units so something is seriously wrong!!

I am talking to her again this eve so will be asking for someone to come and check the boiler etc ASAP.

No one can afford to pay 560 Euro for two bloody months of heating!!!

No im not reading the red numbers :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We live in a 4 bed house,with bad insulation,heating that gets stuck on and 4 young children and my usage for the 2 months was 439 cubic metres or 4976kWh.
    I think you should ring the gas company of landlord,is it possible you are being charged for neighbours gas? Do you have your own meter?

Just looking at my annual summary, they use an average value of 13,500kWh as an industry baseline comparison which works out to about 100 units per month. You're well above the average in a property that's below the average in size.

Its really frustrating as I have to get to the bottom of it, Im talking to the landlord tonight with a view to arranging for a Gas man to visit in the next couple of days. This need sorting ASAP as there is no way I can carry on like this

From what Iv read and seen the past 24 hours Im well over double the units for my usage!

Does anyone know what my rights would be re payment, so if there is a problem with the boiler can I claim back from landlord or the gas co?

Thanks

Its really frustrating as I have to get to the bottom of it, Im talking to the landlord tonight with a view to arranging for a Gas man to visit in the next couple of days. This need sorting ASAP as there is no way I can carry on like this

From what Iv read and seen the past 24 hours Im well over double the units for my usage!

Does anyone know what my rights would be re payment, so if there is a problem with the boiler can I claim back from landlord or the gas co?

Thanks

I'm not sure you can claim anything back. The landlord is attempting to fix the problem as soon as you mentioned it to him. He doesn't know how you use the system day to day and the level of usage could have been right. The gas company similarly can't do anything unless they're told of a problem.

If the units used are correct last bill and arent this time how was anyone to know, surely this is something that the landlord is insured for OR the gas company have allowances for.

If the units used are correct last bill and arent this time how was anyone to know, surely this is something that the landlord is insured for OR the gas company have allowances for.

If there's something wrong with the meter, then yeah the gas company will do something about it and you'll get money back, but if it's just a leaky connection or old boiler, that's not their problem.

If it is a problem with the boiler then you could try a dispute against the landlord. He will however show he was dilligent in following up the initial complaint and mitigated the problem to the best of his abilities and knowledge. Can't see that one standing up unfortunately.

well lets hope anyway, I dont even know what the issue is yet but I am certain that I ultimately have not used 742 units. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Where is the meter situated? In the apartment itself or outside?
    How many apartments in the building and how many meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Thanks goldenhoarde,

I actually did that this morning Iv taken a pic and switched off the meter, it did stop when I did that this morning so I will double check when I get home, so boiler could be the issue?

Does anyone know that if this is the case, would I be within my rights to claim money back from somewhere or insist the landlord fit some of the bill?

Thank you

If you turned the gas off at the meter you are NOT checking for leaks. You need to leave the gas on at the meter and turn off ALL of your gas appliances. By the way if the meter moves at all when you do this ring 1850 20 50 50 immediately (if it were me I would leave the apartment first) do not ring your landlord and expect them to do it for you. Gas leaks in apartment blocks are extremely bad news. Remember the leaking gas is going somewhere

• Advertisement

Its in my apartment, it runs the whole house (which is two apartments, one is empty upstairs which the landlord uses when home - she lives in spain) but she is very sure that no Gas (fro heating and water) was used upstairs.

Im not sure how it can leak if its only the heating etc - from what I have read I think its possibly a boiler issue

Advertisement