Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Xbox Hdd install, little advice please....

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

This is all very n00b here so I'm sorry if I'm completely wrong in what I'm looking for.

So I'm going to softmod and put in a new hard drive to my original xbox and I'm following this guide to put a new hard drive in ( http://m.instructables.com/id/Original-XBOX-Hard-Drive-Upgrade/?ALLSTEPS ).

All seems pretty straight forward but I'm not 100% sure what HDD to actually pick up in CEX (cheap) or Maplin (expensive) as I want it to work properly first try. And also the 'Molex hard drive power cable "Y" splitter' that is in this guide, where would I get one of those?

Apologise if all these questions are stupid but I'm just starting to learn about all these things and just want to do it right :)

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The splitter is correct. And so is the Hard drive as well. You are lucky CEX have that hard drive. I'd say it is hard enough to get a PATA hard drive now a days, not that I searched though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The splitter is correct. And so is the Hard drive as well. You are lucky CEX have that hard drive. I'd say it is hard enough to get a PATA hard drive now a days, not that I searched though.

Cool thanks for the reply! I'll get up to CEX and pick one up. I'll have a look around see if I can get that splitter in a shop in Dublin on the cheap too. In the mean time ill learn all the programmes to get games onto the hdd, is it simple like with the wii or is it a bit more difficult?

It is fairly straight forward but if it messes up it can go bad.

Ha! Please don't say that. Trying to get all the bits to do it, so many different ways and versions to do it, bit confusing. Have you done it yourself?

• Advertisement

No I always went the hard mod way.(Solder in a modchip) It seems handy enough from the guide but I would have the Parallel cable from DVD drive pre loosened(and make sure it still works) and don't loosen it on the fly like the guide says.

So you say to loosen it before doing anything and make sure ita still working?

I also found this guide too http://m.instructables.com/id/Softmod-Original-Xbox-Without-Action-Replay-Cover/ , seems to be a little more up to date so I'll read though it too.

I'd mod it with a chip but I have no idea about soldering just yet. It's all soft mod for me at the moment. Was looking into soft mod ding a 360 too but that seems to be very difficult from what I've read so far. Maybe in a yearsince time it might be easier. Same with a ps3 super slim.

Yes loosen it and make sure it is still working before doing anything.

I'll do that. So last question I swear. Should I install the new hdd before or after I softmod? Seems in guides they do it after the softmod, but I just want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Hopefully I am not going too off topic but is the only use of an original Xbox to play original xbox games?

I have an original xbox, a dreamcast and a PS3 in the attic, was wondering if I am missing out!!

Thanks.

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »
    Hopefully I am not going too off topic but is the only use of an original Xbox to play original xbox games?

I have an original xbox, a dreamcast and a PS3 in the attic, was wondering if I am missing out!!

Thanks.

I'm really not sure about the ps3 (possible but a bit awkward) but the dreamcast is very easy to 'get' games for and some are still being made now by independent devs. Have a look on Google for dreamcast mods and hacks, it's all very simple and an amazing system! I only learnt about it all when I picked one up a few weeks back. Very easy! But I don't think I'm allowed to link to anything on here.

I'm only starting to learn about the original xbox now. Seems ok but a bit more work. All I would say is research and reread everything before you do anything For the xbox. Same for the wii.

Hope that helps!

I'll do that. So last question I swear. Should I install the new hdd before or after I softmod? Seems in guides they do it after the softmod, but I just want to be sure.

After the softmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

You'll have to softmod it first so you can get your eprom backup for making your new hdd and for if your mod goes tits up . I'd recommend you look up and try to get hemidalls hexen disc has loads of tools on it for softmods. Also i'd recomend sussing out what version xbox you have and go for the tsop option if you can. That disc will be able to tell you what version your box is, and if it's anything below a 1.6 you can use the same disc to Tsop it. Then you just attach your new drive boot up with the disc again and use it to make your HDD. It requires soldering but it's oly bridging pads togther that are right beside eachother look it up much better than a softmod less chance of it messing up and no need for locked drives or keys or anything . The tutorial you linked to for the softmod itself is the way to go but try to get someone that can solder to put a usb port into 1 of your controllers so that way. you can transfer files beween xbox and pc with usb drive rather than having to FTP all the time.

PS. If you try the tsop route don't use a high wattage soldering iron on mothrboard.

Hi again! Sorry to bump but I'm having a problem, turns out all the old USB thumb drives I have won't work with the original Xbox. I found a list of thumb drives that work here http://www.biline.ca/xbox_flash_list.htm but finding it hard to find any of them.

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

i use a Mediarange thumbdrive that i got from justmedia.ie in finglas with no problems use xbox to format it then use fatx usbexplorer to put stuff on and off it

P.S have used a micro sd and one of the little usb readers you get with flash cards for the Ds also

You would do well to find a old flash drive. I just looked through mine to give you one but I don't have any. I have no idea where they went.
    I must have trown them out as 128MB is nothing now a days.

smliv wrote: »
    i use a Mediarange thumbdrive that i got from justmedia.ie in finglas with no problems use xbox to format it then use fatx usbexplorer to put stuff on and off it

P.S have used a micro sd and one of the little usb readers you get with flash cards for the Ds also

What size drove did you get?

I've tried a few flash cards that had around. None work. Becoming a bit of a pain now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I think its a 1GB one.
    Let me know if you still need it.
    I've also got a few xboxes modded in various different ways.
    I like the TSOP flash method the best myself.

Advertisement