Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Artic Lessons/Test in Galway

Options
  • 03-03-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    I'm looking into getting my artic license sorted but seems to be difficult to find anybody doing them in the west. I'm in Clare but I travelled to Galway to do my Rigid lessons and test.
    The crowd I done the rigid with do artic also but I,ve heard that there are no artic tests in Galway itself. Are they doing lessons in Galway and going to Athlone for the test??
    Has anyone got any more info on this.
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I did my C+E/artic lessons/test (well actually, rigid+trailer) in Athlone, and while there I heard that artic tests are no longer conducted in Galway due to complaints from locals along the test route.

I did my C+E lessons with this school (excellent tutor btw!) - http://www.aclearsteerdriving.com/?page_id=46

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bull McCabe.

Thanks for the reply Silvera.
    I'll look into them. Isn't it shocking to think there is nowhere down here I could do it. I don't even think there's any body doing them in Limerick anymore either.
    I wonder how people fair out with Advance Drive in Galway, they do lessons but do the test in Athlone. Bit risky not knowing the routes and junctions etc.

I'll look into them. Isn't it shocking to think there is nowhere down here I could do it. I don't even think there's any body doing them in Limerick anymore either.
    I wonder how people fair out with Advance Drive in Galway, they do lessons but do the test in Athlone. Bit risky not knowing the routes and junctions etc.

Yes, it's much better to do all your lessons on the test routes imho.
    'Advance Drive' is the school in the link I provided.

Yes, strange that Galway doesnt have a test route anymore!
    Having said that, I travelled up from Wexford to do my lessons and test in Athlone (because I wanted to do it in a rigid+trailer, rather than a 'normal' artic).

There is also another school who use a smaller rigid+trailer for the C+E lessons/test. I dont recall their name, but I think they are based in Galway. I saw their truck/trailer doing the routes in Athlone. White and blue truck iirc.

Good stuff.
    So you would obviously recommend doing the lot in a rigid and drag rather than the usual tractor unit?
    I have plenty experience with trailers ( builders trailers and caravan and the like) so maybe that Wud translate somewhat to the wagon and drag.
    How is at globe route wise? Not too familiar with the town.

Good stuff.
    So you would obviously recommend doing the lot in a rigid and drag rather than the usual tractor unit?
    I have plenty experience with trailers ( builders trailers and caravan and the like) so maybe that Wud translate somewhat to the wagon and drag.
    How is at globe route wise? Not too familiar with the town.

For me I much preferred the wagon+drag set-up. I tried two lessons in a 'normal' artic but found it a bit tricky tbh. I've no doubt, if I stuck with it, I would have mastered the artic, but I just found it easier to 'get my head around' the truck+trailer set up. From research I did beforehand, it seems that many drivers in the UK learn on a wagon+drag, pass the test, then get a lesson or two on a regular artic, if required for a driving job.

Have a look at these two truck forums for info/ideas -

'Irish Rigs' Truck Forum - http://www.irishrigs.com/
    'Trucknet' UK Forum - http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php

I found the Athlone routes to be fine tbh. Like any other route there are some junctions which can be tricky, but the more lessons I took on the route the less difficult it became. The reversing part takes place in a semi-industrial area - the reversing takes a bit of getting used to, but will come together in time.

I wasnt familar with Athlone either, prior to taking the lessons. It's a very 'fair' test route, if that makes sense. It's all about taking you time, not trying to rush things, and listening to what the instructor tells you (John, the instructor I had, is a gentleman).

Are you seeking the C+E licence for a job, or to add the extra categories to your licence? I did it to get B+E, C1+E, etc on my licence (rather than just do a B+E test, and be restricted to a maximum of B+E).

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated.
    I'm hoping to eventually get work out of it and also I don't see much point in doing B+E C1+E. and everything in between. Want to just do the Artic and bypass everything else. Seems to be some work goin for Rigid and Artic lately around here but the usual catch 22 is holding me up. All looking for 2-3 years experience.
    So can't get experience without getting work and can't get work without experience.
    Only have Rigid a few weeks so can't even lie about experience as all they have to do is look at the date on the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Advance Drive

Hi Bull McCabe, Philip here from Advance Drive in Galway.

The RSA stopped testing Artic's in Galway back in 2006, since then we've done Artic truck lessons in Galway & on the day of the test we give a 2 hour pretest lesson around the route in Athlone (there is only one test route in Athlone which can easily be covered in two hours). We have a 98% 1st time pass rate in the Artic, so there's no risk involved, we don't just teach you to pass a test, we teach you how to manage an Artic truck!!

We have a Volvo FM9 with a modern rear command steer trailer, very nice vehicle to drive & the command steer trailer really takes the work out of getting around tight corners & makes reversing a dream.

If I can be of any help or you need any information don't hesitate in contacting me 091524689

Hi Bull McCabe, Philip here from Advance Drive in Galway.

The RSA stopped testing Artic's in Galway back in 2006, since then we've done Artic truck lessons in Galway & on the day of the test we give a 2 hour pretest lesson around the route in Athlone (there is only one test route in Athlone which can easily be covered in two hours). We have a 98% 1st time pass rate in the Artic, so there's no risk involved, we don't just teach you to pass a test, we teach you how to manage an Artic truck!!

We have a Volvo FM9 with a modern rear command steer trailer, very nice vehicle to drive & the command steer trailer really takes the work out of getting around tight corners & makes reversing a dream.

If I can be of any help or you need any information don't hesitate in contacting me 091524689

Thank a million Philip for the reply.
    I'm currently living abroad but I'm hoping to move home this summer so I'll definitely give ye a buzz when I'm ready to get back into it again.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement