Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think you're probably mixing him up with Tomas O Leary.

I had to check, De Examiner says he did http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/a-time-well-spent-for-murray-154611.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Yes because i judge the match on a whole by one piece of play. :rolleyes:

Ok, so it was ugly. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

walshb wrote: »
    No need to be such a smart arse. I was enjoying debating with you, but you seem more intent on ridiculing. I'll leave it there. Last year is technically the past, but up until today England had the last win versus Ireland. That's a fairly simple concept. The overall point is that NO way are ever firm favorites to beat the English.

Ok, sorry if you think I'm being a smart arse. But I stand by what I said. Ireland are evolving. Rugby has never been in as good a place as it is now. Get over it.

Some day, Italy will be a force to be reckoned with and they're not going to care about your crappy irrelevant stats from a bygone era..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

That was an awesome match. You don't need a match to be a Barbarians style for it to be riveting and this match was gripping. It was an arm wrestle from start to finish and Ireland fully deserved the scoreline. England made a crucial error in not taking the kickable penalty to make it 6-6 in the first half. It was absolutely the wrong call, in a tight match like this you have to take your points. Ireland took their points when they were camped on the England line earlier in the match. England's discipline let them down but Ireland forced many penalties from them. They were fortunate not to have a card for persistent infringement.

Not to have a go at Madigan, but the difference to Ireland when Sexton isn't on the pitch is very significant. Ireland lost a bit of direction after Henshaw's try (it wasn't helped with the surgery on the backline after JP went off) and (box) kicked the ball to England far too much. Now Ireland defended superbly but I think we could have kept the ball in hand a little more. I certainly think there is a place for Earls or Fitzgerald somewhere in the backline. I don't want to be negative after a great win but I'm concerned that when Ireland's backline need to manufacture a try that we could struggle. There's a lack of X Factor in the backs that Earls or Fitzgerald could deliver. Bowe and Zebo are excellent in the kickchase so they are un-movable for the moment but I think Payne needs to up his attacking game. We know he is a wonderful playmaker for Ulster but unfortunately he hasn't shown it yet for Ireland.

The semi-accurate ESPN stats: http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/match/180687.html

Robbie Henshaw is our top tackler for a third game in a row. Take a bow son.

POM 8/0, TOD 10/0, Jordi 11/0. That is impressive stuff for lightweights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Warren Gatland
    Osborne wrote: »

As for England...back to the drawing board.

jeepers i wouldn't be so downbeat just yet...they were very much in it till the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think the GAA thing does help our back 3 - the same was said about the Aussies - that the rules play helped ther fielding - Horgan, Kearney, Bowe, Henshaw early GAA training would definitely help - really helps the hand/eye co-ordination at development age

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England
    aimee1 wrote: »

D07MUN_336105k.jpg

metrosity wrote: »
    Ok, sorry if you think I'm being a smart arse. But I stand by what I said. Ireland are evolving. Rugby has never been in as good a place as it is now. Get over it.

Some day, Italy will be a force to be reckoned with and they're not going to care about your crappy irrelevant stats from a bygone era..

Get over what? You think I don't now that we are a very good team? We have been for several years. But, guess what, so have some other teams been good and great since 6N began.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aimee1 wrote: »

Early stats, they'll be amended after the game is reviewed. It has SOB down as not making a tackle in his 25 minutes, for example.

Your comment has nothing to do with what I said? :confused::confused::confused:

It does, ultimately why would you care for aesthetics over results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

That was an awesome match. You don't need a match to be a Barbarians style for it to be riveting and this match was gripping. It was an arm wrestle from start to finish and Ireland fully deserved the scoreline. England made a crucial error in not taking the kickable penalty to make it 6-6 in the first half. It was absolutely the wrong call, in a tight match like this you have to take your points. Ireland took their points when they were camped on the England line earlier in the match. England's discipline let them down but Ireland forced many penalties from them. They were fortunate not to have a card for persistent infringement.

Not to have a go at Madigan, but the difference to Ireland when Sexton isn't on the pitch is very significant. Ireland lost a bit of direction after Henshaw's try (it wasn't helped with the surgery on the backline after JP went off) and (box) kicked the ball to England far too much. Now Ireland defended superbly but I think we could have kept the ball in hand a little more. I certainly think there is a place for Earls or Fitzgerald somewhere in the backline. I don't want to be negative after a great win but I'm concerned that when Ireland's backline need to manufacture a try that we could struggle. There's a lack of X Factor in the backs that Earls or Fitzgerald could deliver. Bowe and Zebo are excellent in the kickchase so they are un-movable for the moment but I think Payne needs to up his attacking game. We know he is a wonderful playmaker for Ulster but unfortunately he hasn't shown it yet for Ireland.

The semi-accurate ESPN stats: http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/match/180687.html

Robbie Henshaw is our top tackler for a third game in a row. Take a bow son.

Missed 6 though, a blemish in what has been a great tournament for him.

TOD made 10 in the time he was on and of course Paulie tackles anything that moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Not sure why people are saying we played a kicking game again like against france? Minds made up in advance maybe? I thought we mixed it up nicely and looked very good at times going forward.

Anyway, great performance. We completely dominated the game until just about when Jonny went off. Couldn't believe the BBC saying it could have gone either way. The scoreline didn't reflect Irelands dominance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lucky_luke

There was a millisecond, a millisecond, when I thought POC was going to gather the blocked box kick and run down the wing to score.

Think about it people. Our lives would be complete.

That would indeed have been epic and it was a good charge down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Fitzgerald/Earls would offer more off the bench than Jones does but Jones is a very solid player that can be relied upon to do the right things which is probably why Joe keeps picking him

England
    phog wrote: »
    Missed 6 though, a blemish in what has been a great tournament for him.

TOD made 10 in the time he was on and of course Paulie tackles anything that moves.

I don't remember any howlers in defence from Henshaw, so I'm a bit surprised at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It does, ultimately why would you care for aesthetics over results?

People were in here saying it was the best match of the tournament. It was an ugly match but we won and that's why they were saying it was the best.

Attacking play was non existent. Neither set of backs made an impact on the game in an attacking sense. 2 broken lines all game from the naked eye. Very few offloads.

I don't remember any howlers in defence from Henshaw, so I'm a bit surprised at that.

He missed a few. One on Nowell and the one on Goode in their try zone are the ones that are obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

England
    jesus Ireland win well and everyone is bitchin

**** me

People were in here saying it was the best match of the tournament. It was an ugly match but we won and that's why they were saying it was the best.

Attacking play was non existent. Neither set of backs made an impact on the game in an attacking sense. 2 broken lines all game from the naked eye. Very few offloads.

I think it was the weather. The pitch was greasy from rain and snow. Last year, England was a more open and better match. I think Ireland have progressed further than they have since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They were mostly after kick chases and the likes. His channel was rock solid all game.

• Advertisement

England
    duckysauce wrote: »

**** me

???

The comments are overwhelmingly positive!

**** me

What's new?

**** me

Cheer up duckysauce. Some of us, me anyway, just don't want us getting too much of a big head.

As I said before and I mean it, I'd prefer to win the 6N every year whilst losing to them every year. I wish we didn't have to make it about them.. but that's me.

Tactics and they being tailored for the team you're playing and their weaknesses may be too subtle for you.

And I don't think people have been saying it's the best game of the tournament so far, but it was a great game.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Tactics and they being tailored for the team you're playing and their weaknesses may be too subtle for you.

And I don't think people have been saying it's the best game of the tournament so far, but it was a great game.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94499363&postcount=474
    Game of the tournament so far

For example.

???

Positive, with a lot of excuses being given as well. That's what I see with many posts.

Posters on here moaning about "ugly" win. Ludicrous talk. What was ugly? Where in the rugby rule book did we play ugly or break any laws of the game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Excellent that the Irish team did not give away many penalties. A solid performance in that regard. Also very happy there was no ill will in the match. The build up is always intense with these matches. It was like that with France last year and occasionally with Wales. Lancaster comes across as a nice bloke.

walshb wrote: »
    Positive, with a lot of excuses being given as well. That's what I see with many posts.

Posters on here moaning about "ugly" win. Ludicrous talk. What was ugly? Where in the rugby rule book did we play ugly or break any laws of the game..

You are so blinkered by the result.

Watch NZ play. Are you saying we play as nice to watch style as them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

England
    ???

jesus must be the beer so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

You are so blinkered by the result.

Watch NZ play. Are you saying we play as nice to watch style as them?

So unless you play like NZ you're playing ugly rugby, unbelievable

Advertisement