Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving back to Dublin from Toronto........thoughts?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Have been living here for about 11 years and have started thinking that it might be time to move back to Dublin.

Me: moved here when I was 24 on a 2 year work secondment with a consulting company. Ended up staying for a few more years and married a Canadian. 2 kids and pretty comfortable life.

Why I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move:

1. Housing crash - I'm an economist and every indicator is telling me that Canada is looking at a housing contraction and recession within the next 18-24 months. The housing market is crazy right now - I sold my house in December for almost double what I paid for it 5 years ago. Crazy part - the buyer was from Bahrain and never actually saw the house (had a friend view it) then he agreed to let us stay almost rent free until June.

2. I'm really bored - I know its a cliche but Canada is a really boring country (awesome for standard of living / career / unlikely to get shot) but socially I find Canada lacking. Not talking about going out and getting drunk every night (I barely drink) but more the sense of community that Ireland has (it does). I'd like my kids to grow up knowing that.

So thoughts........has anyone moved back from abroad and had a really good/bad experience? How is raising kids in Ireland these days, I have a 2 and a 4 year old - is childcare still expensive. Also - my wife is brown (2nd generation Indian) has anyone experienced racism living in Dublin (taxi drivers aside)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

It seems like both of ye are in Toronto so it may be more appropriate to say that Toronto is boring rather than Canada is boring.

Ottawa has the reputation for being the most boring city in Canada, but from just a few visits there, there seems to be pubs everywhere like you'd see in Ireland and they are pretty good fun.

Montréal is never boring; in summer there are so much things going on that it's impossible to do everything. There is almost always a festival on with several free concerts going on outdoors at any one time.

In winter they still manage to have outdoor stuff, such as igloo fest:

There is skiing and snowboarding within 20 minutes of the city. There is cross-country skiing in the city, as well as ice-skating all over.

From my time in Toronto, it's biggest problem seems to be it's sprawling size and it has been taken over by condos.

Before giving up on Canada due to it being boring (and you live in Toronto) I'd recommend trying out Vancouver or Montreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablosbadger

Agreed - Montreal has lots to do.
    I lived in Calgary for a few years and have either vacationed of worked in every province (except PEI-bucket list) but same issue, Canada just lacks something for me.

Anyway - how are things back on the Island these days? I keep hearing that the tech sector is booming but I'm not sure if that's real or relative to the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Some varying views on the thread linked below, plus in regard to your,other half , I'd say one of the biggest changes in Ireland since you left is good tolerance here of people from all backgrounds creeds and colour.
    Good eduction here for children right through to uni.
    Euro exchange rate is in your favour now too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057384083

Good houses out of reach of Dublin commute are gaining for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablosbadger

Thanks for the link - food for thought.
    Will head back for a holiday soon so might set up some interviews and feel out the job market.
    I remember a while back there was a story in the Irish times about a recruitment agency that specializes in returning emigrants. Anyone know the name or have any experiences with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

I think that IT in Ireland has never stopped booming. And with the announcement of this Apple data centre near Athenry, it's not all centered around Dublin.

Dublin has the higher wages though, but as already said, the rising house prices to match, along with lack of certain types of houses, e.g. 3 bed houses (not 100% about exact details, but I believe this is the case).

I'd agree that the sense of community that Ireland has is not as easily found in Canada, but maybe it's more a big city thing; I'd expect that it might be easier to find in the smaller cities or towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Things are definitely picking up at home. As mentioned above this new Apple Data Centre is great news for the economy with €1.7 Billion being invested between here and the new Data centre in Denmark. Intel is also looking a pile of Technicians for Leixlip!

Advertisement