Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rob808 wrote: »
    The government won't keep it more likely open access and I say who build it would own it but other operators can use it.It like the EBS and Vodafone deal the EBS own the network and Vodafone look after it.I don't think government would want to own it because they would have to fix faults and use tax payers money.

It could be owned by a semi state company to manage network, who sub-contract out to the likes of KN Networks to do repairs etc.

KN Networks do most of this sort of thing for Eircom, ESB and UPC anyway.

It could be similar to how the Luas is run, owned and managed by the RPA (a government agency) and operated day to day by a private company contracted to do so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is this your connection?

Have many signed up for the trial?

that connection speed is the stuff dreams are made of, but have to agree totally unnecessary for any one user. I struggle on 9meg and can just about get by with it, 50 meg to me would be perfect for quite a while.

I would imagine if Eircom do win the rural FTTH contract, that they are not gonna provide everybody with those sort of speeds. They will probably start off on 50-100 meg and through the year's upgrade peoples speed profiles as time go's on. Rural business perhaps will pay the extra for those sort of speeds tho.

I wish the contract for this could be awarded right now so they can start work on this straight away. Any idea when contract will be awarded and could work on this new rural network start this year switching on the first batch of people before the end of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

csd wrote: »
    Speedtest from the eircom FTTH trial in Belcarra, Co Mayo, taken today.

4124257639.png

The setup is configured for a theoretical max of 950Mb/s, so getting pretty close.

Wouldn't mind having that speed every day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Gonzo wrote: »
    that connection speed is the stuff dreams are made of, but have to agree totally unnecessary for any one user. I struggle on 9meg and can just about get by with it, 50 meg to me would be perfect for quite a while.

Wow, Gonzo, I never knew you had the ability the envision the lives of every person on the planet. I guess this Boardsie doesn't exist: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88962978

Uploading large files to servers is a pain in the ass because if the connection breaks, you have to start over again.

If that poster had the upload speed above (238Mb), it would take him 20 hours upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Wow, Gonzo, I never knew you had the ability the envision the lives of every person on the planet. I guess this Boardsie doesn't exist: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88962978

Uploading large files to servers is a pain in the ass because if the connection breaks, you have to start over again.

If that poster had the upload speed above (238Mb), it would take him 20 hours upload it.

lol people get so tetchy on this forum when someone mentions that not everyone might need superfast ridiculous broadband. you just made your argument with a complete edge case. i'd say he's a one in a million problem per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

lol people get so tetchy on this forum when someone mentions that not everyone might need superfast ridiculous broadband. you just made your argument with a complete edge case. i'd say he's a one in a million problem per year.

Thats not the argument, people need those kinda connections so when they are uploading stuff for work etc it takes seconds rather then an hour to upload a 100mb file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

No, you're wrong.

I just bought a new Dell (2TB HD), and it keeps prompting me to backup the contents of the computer to the cloud. Google drive prices are only $10/TB/Month. It's getting close to the point where it should be standard for EVERYONE to have their machine continually backing up to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

bk wrote: »
    It could be owned by a semi state company to manage network, who sub-contract out to the likes of KN Networks to do repairs etc.

KN Networks do most of this sort of thing for Eircom, ESB and UPC anyway.

It could be similar to how the Luas is run, owned and managed by the RPA (a government agency) and operated day to day by a private company contracted to do so.

As it seems the winning bid will have to contribute 50% of the cost one option might be to have a company that is 50% + 1 share owned by the state with the other 50% owned by that company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Those are some amazing speeds!

I wonder how much Eircom will charge for this, probably €50~€60 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Those are some amazing speeds!

I wonder how much Eircom will charge for this, probably €50~€60 or thereabouts.
    Only if they have to because of UPC and ESB. In the UK, BT charge £1,188.00 (ex VAT) annual rent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

KOR101 wrote: »
    Only if they have to because of UPC and ESB. In the UK, BT charge £1,188.00 (ex VAT) annual rent.

That's their FTTPoD service then?

Crazy prices.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dam099 wrote: »
    As it seems the winning bid will have to contribute 50% of the cost one option might be to have a company that is 50% + 1 share owned by the state with the other 50% owned by that company.

That would seem very sensible and fair.

As for the speed thing, please remember, the primary reason to use FTTH in rural areas is not the incredibly high speeds, that is a nice side benefit of it.

The primary reason to use FTTH, is because it is the only broadband technology that doesn't degrade over long distance. xDSL, DOCSIS (cable), 3G/4G, etc. all degrade over long distance, which makes them unsuited to rural deployments.

Even 100Mb/s (in particular symmetric) would be a massive revolution for rural Ireland. And it will be easy for them to upgrade as needs increase.

BTW if Eircom was made to use DWDM FTTH, where 4 companies each get their own optical frequency on the cable, then the 4 companies could offer different speeds and different products and thus you would have real competition and Eircom couldn't do anything to stop their competitors from offering higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is gonna be GPON. For cost reasons. From my understanding that likely prevents frequency division to multiple operators.

The problem I foresee is it'll still be eircom field staff in an eircom rural monopoly. There will be no competition on repairs and SLAs and while fibre is less fault prone than copper wrapped in aging poly, its still going to have the usual idiot with a JCB and fallen poles problems that the current POTS network has.

If COMREG/DECNR are to do the NBP (which will end up being similar to this threads topic) right they need to have staunch fines in place for SLA breaches so that whoever operates the wholesale end can't sit on their proverbials.

ED E wrote: »
    This is gonna be GPON. For cost reasons. From my understanding that likely prevents frequency division to multiple operators.

You can do GPON over DWDM, see DWDM-PON

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

4124257639.png

The setup is configured for a theoretical max of 950Mb/s, so getting pretty close.

mother of F*ck ! Well I'm happy with 44!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    No, you're wrong.

I just bought a new Dell (2TB HD), and it keeps prompting me to backup the contents of the computer to the cloud. Google drive prices are only $10/TB/Month. It's getting close to the point where it should be standard for EVERYONE to have their machine continually backing up to the cloud.

This is so wrong I find it difficult to express my feelings about it.

Let me just say ..... there is NO WAY I will be told to where I back up what I wish to back up .... or even if I backup anything at all.

A recommendation is one thing ..... but 'should be' is far beyond that.

I do agree that it 'should be possible' for everyone to do so ..... and hopefully that is what was meant ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

4124257639.png

Looked up this place on Google surely this can't be right only 150 people live there?

Why would Eircom be trialling a service here the village is tiny?

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/belcarra/belcarra.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Looked up this place on Google surely this can't be right only 150 people live there?

That easy to see how much it would cost to roll out FTTH to small village and rural locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Any sign of this in letterkenny, i see csd is getting to test in mayo (looks amazing too), any word of testing in letterkenny???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

you do things on a small scale during a trial, to ready yourself for the much larger rollout when the trainers know what to teach and the hardware is tested and matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

How can I find a list of locations that are earmarked for Eircoms Fibre to the Home(FTTH) my mind has gone blank and I dont know whether its only the Vodafone one that has been published.

Its all gone quiet as well.

Mind you there is a report on silicon republic that ireland is SECOND in the world for mobile data speeds!! so that may put a spanner in the works!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40658-ireland-s-average-mobile/

swoofer wrote: »
    Mind you there is a report on silicon republic that ireland is SECOND in the world for mobile data speeds!! so that may put a spanner in the works!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40658-ireland-s-average-mobile/

Not really, the only reason we are so high, is because the caps on mobile services are so low, that few people really use mobile data that much!

This news is actually generally bad news. It clearly shows that people in other developed countries have far better caps and use mobile data much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

In a totally unrelated matter : isn't Enda Kenny from Mayo?

bk wrote: »
    You can do GPON over DWDM, see DWDM-PON

Had a look at the IEEE doc on this. If they want to unbundle with WDM it means wdm filters vs regular splitters be fitted, so it'll only happen realistically if done from the get go.

Have you got a cost comparison of direct fibre vs GPON? If we could get glass direct from CO to premises now it would leave maximum upgradeability thinking long term.

ED E wrote: »
    Have you got a cost comparison of direct fibre vs GPON? If we could get glass direct from CO to premises now it would leave maximum upgradeability thinking long term.

There seems to be a really interesting and very detailed doc about different FTTH technologies, the cost differences and unbundling scenarios here:

http://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/vodafone/about/public_policy/position_papers/vodafone_report_final_wkconsult.pdf

I've only taken a quick look, I need to read it in detail later.

But the summary says that GPON is only 10% cheaper then P2P !!

And yes your are correct P2P would be more future proof and easy to do LLU with.

And that is why I think Eircom is using GPON. Not the slightly cheaper cost, but that fact that it makes it impossible to do LLU on GPON. Bitstream wholesale access only.

Must have a read of that during the week. Thanks BK.

You can understand how eircom wants to hold onto its access network, UPC would be slow to allow other providers onto their HFC! If it was all their own deal I'd say thats totally fair, cant invest to have others reap the rewards. But if the NBP becomes part of this then we taxpayers should insist on P2P for the segments we fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pricing - pretty cheap (these are wholesale prices obviously - for comparison wholesale xDSL is currently 17.50)

Standalone FTTH Product (Mb/s) Monthly rental
    150/30 €20.50
    300/50 €25.50
    1000/100 €35.50

POTS based FTTH Product (Mb/s) Monthly rental
    150/30 €6.98
    300/50 €11.98
    1000/100 €21.98

WOW, more massive news today. Eircom Wholesale have released the specification details and wholesale pricing of their FTTH products:

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/FTTH_Pricing/

Standalone FTTH Product (Mb/s) - Monthly rental
    150/30 €20.50
    300/50 €25.50
    1000/100 €35.50

POTS based FTTH Product (Mb/s) - Monthly rental
    150/30 €6.98
    300/50 €11.98
    1000/100 €21.98

Note these are the wholesale charges, excluding VAT, etc.

As a comparison VDSL is currently priced at €17.50 and currently increasing to €19.50 (thus the recent Vodafone/Eircom/Sky price increases).

The €19.50 charge leads to a retail price of between, €38 (vodafone VDSL only) to €55 (Eircom including calls etc.).

So 150/30 FTTH should only be about €2 more expensive then their VDSL counterparts, while 1000/100 will have at least a €20 premium.

Also note, that there is a €150 install charge for the ONT, so expect a big up front install fee.

Eircom have said they are already started working on rolling it out to the first 16 of 66 towns and that it should go live around August. More here:

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/eircom-to-launch-new-pure-broadband-with-speeds-of-up-to-1000mbs-31027344.html

EDIT: loyatemu beat me too it ;)

Note POTS based FTTH, means where you also have a copper pair telephone line running in parallel to your home. So add the normal €25 line rental charge to those prices, plus the other usual overheads.

• Advertisement

As the POTS option is cheaper and requires a double drop I think we can assume they're separate charges. That means its 2x the cost to maintain PSTN services, roll on VOIP!

Advertisement