Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ackowledge other runners or walkers while running?

• 24-02-2015 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Should I ? it seems to be the norm that walkers do mostly in some small way greet each other, but rarely do other runners acknowledge me when I'm running. What's the etiquette generally?

Thanks

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Always ready to, but a few runners are determined not to make eye contact (which is their choice) so it's no bother either way really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Always say hello even if its not returned, take no offence if its not. Some people are less friendly than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I think it's nice to at least acknowledge another runner, either with a smile or a grunt! It probably depends where u are based, however still no harm giving the nod whether its reciprocated or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Yes, some answer, some don't I just keep on jogging :)

I prefer when they acknowledge back, makes me feel like I'm part of a "community" but it doesn't bother me when they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Always try to, but not bothered if not returned, you don't know if someone is "in the zone".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Being irish when I moved here first I always did but never got a reply bar once. I've now been Swissified and don't do it anymore unless hiking where everyone says hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I generally do anyway, sometimes only a nod of the head is possible. I find it's the minority who return or greet first. I find it depends a lot where in the country you are, Limerick runners definitely friendlier than most. People in towns and cities are less likely to greet each other, while if you meet another runner down a small boreen, it's just weird not to say hello!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As above I'm always ready to say hello but as a runner comes towards you you can tell if they 'want' to see you or not. The majority don't even glance at you much less return a greeting. Now sometimes I'm guilty of doing that if I'm struggling to hold a pace but I try to be friendly most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Always try to say hello. Always... 80% of the time it's reciprocated. Pretty similar to motorcyclists, those who tend not to say hello tend to be on the flashy, shiny bikes. Real runners always say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For me it depends on the route you are doing. If I am only going to pass the person once I will generally give a nod of the head or say some sort of grunt between breaths. But I find it awkward if I am on a loop route and sometimes the person will salute you each time they pass you. And you sort of feel bad then about not saluting back. Generally if there are a lot of people out I just don't bother and allow myself to enjoy my run free from people for a small while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

running mostly in the country ive only ever passed two other runners. .. one ended up running close to five miles with me chatting about everything. ..the other was going in the other direction and we both said hello... when I run in the city (limerick) I nod or say hi to most people runners and non runners... the majority reply although its mostly runners who don't for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

yes I've found runners particularily bad for acknowledging my salutes, a total contrast to when walking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Like lots of others have said, I try :)
    When I'm not struggling to stay alive I'll manage at least a flash of eye contact or a nod.

Last week I was out at about 6pm. So pretty much dark. Passed a guy, and being a bit giddy at being near the end of my hill repeats roared over "MORNING :D". At 6pm.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Always try to say hello. Always... 80% of the time it's reciprocated. Pretty similar to motorcyclists, those who tend not to say hello tend to be on the flashy, shiny bikes. Real runners always say hello.
    What's a real runner?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

carter10 wrote: »
    What's a real runner?

One who says hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

So the ones who don't say hello are pretend runners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Talking about runners why run on the road when the footpath is beside you :mad:

Real runners are those who make it past the first weekend in January. You can dismount from your high horse now. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I give a nod or a slight wave. Last 2 times I tried to say hi, it came out as a grunt. Probably coz I was wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Talking about runners why run on the road when the footpath is beside you :mad:

Same reason you dont drive into potholes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

ger664 wrote: »
    Same reason you dont drive into potholes
    They do it when there is nobody on the footpath ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

I think most do it because the tarmac road is better on the knees that the concrete path.
    I do it because I hate the ups & downs at every driveway.

BTW - I say hello when running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nope, they are simply ignorant assh0les.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

mmm not sure about this :) likewise I always nod & smile but I find its mostly men (sorry but true!) that don't reciprocate, I'm pretty sure they would consider themselves 'real runners'!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On the really cold days the footpaths are slippier when frozen than tarmac is.

Firedance wrote: »
    mmm not sure about this :) likewise I always nod & smile but I find its mostly men (sorry but true!) that don't reciprocate, I'm pretty sure they would consider themselves 'real runners'!
    That is not consistent with my own experience at all (and also represents a couple of rather sweeping generalizations).

A real runner isn't male. Being a real runner has nothing to do with gender. Being a real runner has nothing to do with how fast you run, how frequently, or how far. It is not related to body shape or body weight. It is not related to how you look, what you wear, or where and when you run. For a 'real runner', running is not something you 'do', but one of the myriad of things that defines you as a person. A real runner does not care how others perceive them, but rather, cares about how they feel at a particular point in time. A real runner recognizes that he/she is part of a larger fraternity, a brotherhood (or sisterhood) of runners. A real runner will always stop to help another runner in distress (unless it is gastric distress). A real runner wouldn't pass within 2 feet of another runner, without, at a minimum, making eye contact and acknowledging the existence of the other runner. Rain holds no fear for a real runner. A real runner has pooped outdoors at least once. A real runner visits a forum like this, not to look for slights or reasons to be offended, but rather to share experiences and learn how to be a better runner. Above all, a real runner runs, not because they have to, but because they want to.

/end I have a dream speech mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That is not consistent with my own experience at all (and also represents a couple of rather sweeping generalizations).

A real runner isn't male. Being a real runner has nothing to do with gender. Being a real runner has nothing to do with how fast you run, how frequently, or how far. It is not related to body shape or body weight. It is not related to how you look, what you wear, or where and when you run. For a 'real runner', running is not something you 'do', but one of the myriad of things that defines you as a person. A real runner does not care how others perceive them, but rather, cares about how they feel at a particular point in time. A real runner recognizes that he/she is part of a larger fraternity, a brotherhood (or sisterhood) of runners. A real runner will always stop to help another runner in distress (unless it is gastric distress). A real runner wouldn't pass within 2 feet of another runner, without, at a minimum, making eye contact and acknowledging the existence of the other runner. Rain holds no fear for a real runner. A real runner has pooped outdoors at least once. A real runner visits a forum like this, not to look for slights or reasons to be offended, but rather to share experiences and learn how to be a better runner. Above all, a real runner runs, not because they have to, but because they want to.

ha ha love that, but I'm STILL not a real runner:( as I've never had to poop outdoors. Not that I wouldn't if I didn't have to but have never had to.
    A day will come when I can call myself a real runner:( Then I'll know I have arrived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I've gone all fuzzy..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Proper running is tough enough without having to mutter hellos every time you cross someone. Best to fake nod. Saves energy.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    ha ha love that, but I'm STILL not a real runner:( as I've never had to poop outdoors. Not that I wouldn't if I didn't have to but have never had to.
    A day will come when I can call myself a real runner:( Then I'll know I have arrived!
    Knowing that some day you will have to... Is enough...

walshb wrote: »
    Proper running is tough enough without having to mutter hellos every time you cross someone. Best to fake nod. Saves energy.
    I don't think anyone is saying you have to stop and have a conversation, just an acknowledgement of some kind rather.
    edit: what's proper running? Actually.... don't ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think anyone is saying you have to stop and have a conversation, just an acknowledgement of some kind rather.
    edit: what's proper running? Actually.... don't ;)

Stopping to have a conversation? Couldn't be doing that. It would fcuk up my time trials.:pac:

A friendly nod here and there can perk me up. Good deed for the day done.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Always give the nod. If I don't receive it back well a pox on you. I hope you step in dog sh£t.

Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Krusty I'd patent dat..#rsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Firedance wrote: »

I assume you are female (if not ignore the next comments).
    Men (sometimes) don't acknowledge female runners, in case they are perceived as rapists or perverts.
    Women (sometimes) don't acknowledge male runners, in case they are perceived as encouraging them.
    But mostly runners don't acknowledge other runners because they are a$$holes.
    Personally I acknowledge every runner with either a nod or a grunt, because no matter how important your run is or how fast you are going, there is no excuse for ignorance. Walkers on the other hand, meh...

A few weeks ago (I still have not got over it) I was running a loop in a park when my path merged with another (male) runner going at about the same pace. I nodded/grunted but did not notice a reply. As we slowed going uphill I made some comment about the weather/running/life/whatever and still no reply (wtf). Eventually I turned my head to see what was up with him, maybe his jaw was wired shut - no he just had headphones in and was completely oblivious to the world around him. There was only one thing for it, up the pace and burn him off (even if it was a recovery run). That showed him. :D

If you're doing loops of say 10 x one mile and you keep passing the same person going in the opposite direction, you say hi on the first meeting, but do you need to acknowledge them on each subsequent meeting/lap?
    I always find that a bit awkward!

Also, does anyone ever find that when they're not running, but being a normal every day civilian and they meet a running runner that they say 'hi' automatically? That must come across as weird. Maybe it's just me:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Krusty I'd patent dat..#rsp

It'll end up on a meme if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

dna_leri wrote: »
    A few weeks ago (I still have not got over it) I was running a loop in a park when my path merged with another (male) runner going at about the same pace. I nodded/grunted but did not notice a reply. As we slowed going uphill I made some comment about the weather/running/life/whatever and still no reply (wtf). Eventually I turned my head to see what was up with him, maybe his jaw was wired shut - no he just had headphones in and was completely oblivious to the world around him. There was only one thing for it, up the pace and burn him off (even if it was a recovery run). That showed him. :D

Jesus, dna, you're very harsh :).

Runners are just people. Some people say hello, some don't. I don't think there is a special code amongst runners that tie us all together and dictates that we must say hello as we pass. I generally nod or say hello to people, but only if I think that they are receptive to it. If not, I don't.

I also run on the roads sometimes. Not to be cool or a real runner, but because the paths are in bad nick or too up and down. Case in point - if running down Merrion Road towards ballsbridge, I'll run in the cycle lane where possible as it's flatter than the path. Same for Leopardstown Road.

Also, does anyone ever find that when they're not running, but being a normal every day civilian and they meet a running runner that they say 'hi' automatically? That must come across as weird. Maybe it's just me:o

:D:D:D I do this all the time, I mean they know just by looking at me in my civvies that I'm a fellow runner, right?!
    Men (sometimes) don't acknowledge female runners, in case they are perceived as rapists or perverts.
    Women (sometimes) don't acknowledge male runners, in case they are perceived as encouraging them.
    Personally I acknowledge every runner with either a nod or a grunt, because no matter how important your run is or how fast you are going, there is no excuse for ignorance. Walkers on the other hand, meh...

Yep I am, I guess that makes sense :-) it doesn't really bother me, sometimes a guy will nod & smile so its not everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Interestingly a well known local runner comment on twitter that people were not saying hello back. Funny thing was that the next time I passed this person on a run I got no response. If I am locked in a session or dying at the end of a long run you ain't going to get much reaction from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I automatically say hello to anyone runner I see and the vast majority would say hello/grunt/nod etc. I used to feel awkward if I said hello & they didn't but at this stage I couldn't care less. I even have a few old men who walk regularly on the canal at lunchtime that I'm on 'hello' terms with at this stage :). I find that generally those who you know by the look of them (& the speed) are 'real runners' will nearly always acknowledge you. Have to say I still don't feel like a 'real runner' - maybe it's the poop thing ???? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

A bit off topic, but does anyone else do 'twisty-neck' when passing runners on the road? (Obviously not when driving... :rolleyes: ) such a bad habit of mine :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

If you're doing loops of say 10 x one mile and you keep passing the same person going in the opposite direction, you say hi on the first meeting, but do you need to acknowledge them on each subsequent meeting/lap?

No. One acknowledgement per run is enough - see previous post re perverts.
    However you do need to keep mental track of where you passed them so you can compare to the next time round and know if you are going faster than them or not. Anyway counter clockwise is the correct way, same as on a track. [I'm not OCD I just like to do things right.] ;)

I think we need a thread dedicated to running etiquette, stickie perhaps?

I think it's really nice when a runner is passing you out (going in the same direction) that they give a little wave or something. I really like that and do the same on the rare occasion that I happen to be the one doing the passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant!!! Finally, I feel like I qualify as a real runner :)

but by that definition, there are lot of un-real, unfriendly runners about, both male and female. Just ask Yaboya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I wish i could say the same :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think it's really nice when a runner is passing you out (going in the same direction) that they give a little wave or something. I really like that and do the same on the rare occasion that I happen to be the one doing the passing.

I've often done that in the Phoenix Park, as it's dense with runners of all abilities. It's a lot to do with those uneasy moments when you're running side by side thinking should I look over for fear they'll think I'm being a dick saying "Is that all you got ?" A little hand up as you're just in front is what I usual do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I always try to acknowledge other runners. If I'm fcuked il manage a wave but normally I will say "howaya". It's very rarely ignored....unless they are really putting the effort in.

I used to run laps in my local park, there was a guy that I saw regularly and we would just nod. One miserable winter morning I was out with a pack on and he was running too. It was pissing rain and I was suffering, the nod turned into a 'low five'. It gave me an extra lap or two from that small gesture, It actually still makes me smile like a sad eeijit.

I don't find cyclist being as friendly while out. The odd time I'd get an acknowledgement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement