Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cortina in Barry's tea ad

• 20-02-2015 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Glimpses of a ZV reg 1600E by the looks of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I always preferred the mk1-3 Capri and the Granada though I would like to own a Cortina.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

corktina wrote: »
    Glimpses of a ZV reg 1600E by the looks of it

16566575886_43fd96f855_z.jpg
    vlcsnap-2015-02-20-17h21m30s210 by macplaxton, on Flickr
    16405777930_984bc8c4d0_z.jpg
    vlcsnap-2015-02-20-17h38m29s197 by macplaxton, on Flickr
    16406949029_9330f7a71b_z.jpg
    vlcsnap-2015-02-20-17h38m57s14 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Whilst I respect your superior Cortina knowledge Corky, I don't get that "Executive" vibe from that car.:confused: Could it be a lesser trim spec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd d say you are right :-) (Grille is painted in 1600E style though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

There's no way it's a 1600E it looks like a standard deluxe model. No spot lights make sure it isn't an E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I'd d say you are right :-) (Grille is painted in 1600E style though)

1) COLOUR - wrong for 1600E
    2) Bumper - over-riders missing
    3) 1600E driving lights missing
    4) Grille - different types, first was all chrome, then some black , and Lotus / 1600E different again
    5) 1600E had pinstripe and badge on 1/4 panel
    6) Interior shot, NO WOOD !

Other unseen differences - rear black panel with chrome surround,more chrome generally, 1600E badge, interior trim different with lots of wood and sports steering wheel, rostyle wheels and chrome trim rings, sports instruments, 'quick' gearchange,

• Advertisement

easy to say with the benefit of the stills, all I had was a glimpse on the TV.

oh and

over-riders were optional...
    grille was only nearly all black on the E and Lotus. Several other versions on other models
    Can't see quarter panel but in any case badge was on C pillar.
    I can't tell what colour it is. I had a Light Blue 1600E though (may be Lagoon Blue though)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Looks like the cortina that lives in Sandymount, on the coast road. Presumably made a trip to Dollymount for the ad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Capri wrote: »
    NO WOOD !

Yer right there. I can't get wood over these Cortinas... :D
    easy to say with the benefit of the stills, all I had was a glimpse on the TV.

How big is your telly? :D (I would have just stopped at "Cortina" and not mentioned the model :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Cartell says it has a 1600 tho

Probably a 1600 super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

Pity they couldn find an Irish cortina

500man wrote: »
    Pity they couldn find an Irish cortina

Very true and there's loads of them around.

jca wrote: »
    Very true and there's loads of them around.

really? there's a lot that look like Irish cars, but are in disguise. Genuine Irish built cars are very rare now. Irish spec 1600Es (not built in Ireland) are also very thin on the ground.

really? there's a lot that look like Irish cars, but are in disguise. Genuine Irish built cars are very rare now. Irish spec 1600Es (not built in Ireland) are also very thin on the ground.

All that's needed is one. What do you mean Irish spec E's not built in Ireland? Do you mean a Dagenham built E exported to Ireland, the one with the brake servo on the master cylinder? How can a car be "in disguise"? Maybe I'm just spoiled by having a local Cortina enthusiast living near me. Jaysus when I drove one for years everyone told me no one would ever show the slightest interest in preserving one.... Strange world eh?

1600Es in Irish Spec were built in Dagenham, correct. In disguise because many of them had a previously life across the water, and an illegal id swap

Say Hi to Pat L for me :-)

Yea I suppose identity plates held on with 2 pop rivets....need I say more. I'll tell pat you were asking for him although he's a biker now (Honda50)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I was the proud owner:D of a 1600E for about 7 years from '76 to '83 and that looks nothing like an E - even looks too high in one pic .
    The rear leaf springs on the E were flat even when new to keep the car low.
    No wood capping on the doors . Could be a 1600 Super as mentioned.

again I point out that you are looking stills whereas I saw a glimpse on the tv....

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Wasn't intended as a criticism of your first post - just a comment and as you say you originally had only the glimpses in the ad to go by.
    Every E I knew of back in the day had the 2 spots in the grille - but there were probably exceptions ; and they all had the wood capping on the doors and a wooden dash . Earlier ones had the clocks mounted on top of the dash - later ones had them in the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Where has Corktina gone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I like the red mk1 Capri in the Mcdonals add , my first car was a 1969 1600 GT Capri,not as clean as that one by any means, wish i had it to today, remember selling it for £400.

Advertisement