Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple To Spend 750 Million In Galway

Options
  • 23-02-2015 9:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Great news,Apple is to spend 750 million on a new data centre in Galway creating hundreds of jobs, take that Dublin.
    Hopefully more companies will follow and locate in the west.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

As a Dub, I think this is great news. I hate how centralised everything is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

It only takes a couple of shaved monkeys to run a data centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

*Awaits corporation tax rant*. Great news for Ireland and for the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Low lie, the fields of Athenry,
    Where once we watched the data centres fry...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

Fantastic, the last thing I want is recruiters offering me positions at some cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Great news,Apple is to spend 750 million on a new data centre in Galway creating hundreds of jobs, take that Dublin.

Hundreds of jobs during its construction. I can't imagine a data centre needs hundreds of employees. Unless they intend to power the centre by having red-faced Galwegians furiously pedalling fixed bicycles.
    'Faster Paddy Joe, someone is creating an iTunes account'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Aren't there plans to also develop some small island off the west coast of Ireland for tech as well? I remember someone posting about it on here and calling it sillicon valley-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

Besides the construction jobs, there won't be many once this is complete. The biggest employee presence usually at a data centre is security staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

cronin_j wrote: »
    Besides the construction jobs, there won't be many once this is complete. The biggest employee presence usually at a data centre is security staff.

100 people to operate it when complete according to Newstalk.
    Not to be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

circadian wrote: »
    Fantastic, the last thing I want is recruiters offering me positions at some cult.

but do they hire Micky D employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

cronin_j wrote: »

In fairness, it is good news regardless of the number of jobs. It shows real confidence in Ireland's electricity and broadband networks.

Hundreds of jobs during its construction. I can't imagine a data centre needs hundreds of employees. Unless they intend to power the centre by having red-faced Galwegians furiously pedalling fixed bicycles.
    'Faster Paddy Joe, someone is creating an iTunes account'.

The data centre and the power plants will need employees.

It's true that a lot of it is security. However there will be tech roles.

but do they hire Micky D employees?

It's a cult they'll take anyone they can get. A good hygene engineer is hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Phoebas wrote: »
    100 people to operate it when complete according to Newstalk.
    Not to be sniffed at.

They don't have to be on site and are most likely already employed.

A bare handful of on-site techs(very low level hardware guys) and security staff is all thats needed.

It's a cult they'll take anyone they can get. A good hygene engineer is hard to come by.

That's not my understanding of Apples corporate hiring policies. Anyone they can get won't fly. So maybe stick to flipping burgers?

They don't have to be on site and are most likely already employed.

A bare handful of on-site techs(very low level hardware guys) and security staff is all thats needed.

Clearly more people will be hired by whatever security company gets the deal specifically for this. Securitas, or whomever, are not going to suggest that they'll use the same guys who keep an eye over Super Macs and they'll at least pop over once a day.

That's not my understanding of Apples corporate hiring policies. Anyone they can get won't fly. So maybe stick to flipping burgers?

Stick to guessing.

Stick to guessing.

I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Clearly more people will be hired by whatever security company gets the deal specifically for this. Securitas, or whomever, are not going to suggest that they'll use the same guys who keep an eye over Super Macs and they'll at least pop over once a day.

Cameras into an existing control center(on Apples site), 1 guy on the gate 24/7. So maybe 4 extra staff in terms of a security company.

I don't think people realize how little physical interaction there is with a modern datacenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

For the project in Athenry, Apple will recover land previously used for growing and harvesting non-native trees (and restore native trees to Derrydonnell Forest).

they spin that like it's a good thing? I don't see how destroying a productive commercial forest (and carbon sink) in favour a facility that is a massive energy sink and heat producer is a great idea. but as usual, "we wern't moar jobzz" is all that really matters to Ireland Inc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah and even the figure of 850million is missleading, thats the whole cost of the datacenter which will be running apple servers.
    So just wondering how much the building will cost to build as thats the real figure of the investment?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Cameras into an existing control center(on Apples site), 1 guy on the gate 24/7. So maybe 4 extra staff in terms of a security company.

I don't think people realize how little physical interaction there is with a modern datacenter.

I've worked for many tech companies and have visited datacentres all over the place and they're eerie fucking places. One place in particular was nightmarish. One security guy and one or two others kind of just checking on a few basic things. The actual server farm was one of those lights-out operations, just the hum of hundreds of servers, switches and routers and tape backup robots rolling around on their pre-assigned routes loading tapes to and from storage cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Egginacup wrote: »
    The actual server farm was one of those lights-out operations, just the hum of hundreds of servers, switches and routers and tape backup robots rolling around on their pre-assigned routes loading tapes to and from storage cabinets.

Ah yes, the low, sinister drone of Skynet hatching it's plan to exterminate humanity and take over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

stimpson wrote: »
    It only takes a couple of shaved monkeys to run a data centre.

Whats wrong with unshaven monkeys?

• Administrators Posts: 53,570 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know why it's costing so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apple are spending €1.7 billion on two data centres in the EU. Costing €850 million each, the other is in Denmark.
    All will be run on renewable energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Whats wrong with unshaven monkeys?

The loose hairs get stuck in the servers fans, major fire hazard. jfc man have you never been inside a fully monkey-operated data centre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know why it's costing so much?
    an IBM 160core/4TB x86_64 server in a rack costs the guts of 100k euro.
    If you could actually sell on enterprise servers no datacentre in the country would be safe. A box van reversed up to the door of a datacentre could remove 10 or 20 million euros worth of servers. Fortunately hot enterprise servers aren't easily sold on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why does Galway get all the good stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Company that pays f*ck all tax in Ireland plans to hire 100 people to run a data center.

Woo hoo.

Advertisement