Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple To Spend 750 Million In Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know why it's costing so much?
    Why does Galway get all the good stuff?

Because we're worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

300 Jobs to be created. Supposedly that doesn't include jobs created for construction. Not bad for the area at all! I can't post the link but the Galway Advertiser confirmed it earlier this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Anyone know why it's costing so much?

Well if the accompanying picture is anything to go by it's a campus that consists of about 10 inter-linked data-centers, fill those with racks of equipment and include the cost of that, the plant equipment etc (possibly the land value also) and while expensive it looks like the right ballpark as figures go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

300 temporary construction jobs and there is no way they are going to be employing 100 full time staff. Of the staff they do employ a large proportion will be on low wages.
    Datacentres do not create huge amounts of jobs.
    The only good thing about them is that they do create sustainable jobs due to the amount of capital invested but if too much grant-aid was given then it is the government who is paying for the staff, not the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

they spin that like it's a good thing? I don't see how destroying a productive commercial forest (and carbon sink) in favour a facility that is a massive energy sink and heat producer is a great idea. but as usual, "we wern't moar jobzz" is all that really matters to Ireland Inc.

They're replacing those trees with other trees, apple trees if you will,

and this means they'll need to hire even more security staff to keep those pesky local children from plundering the orchard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Is that because they have loads of clouds?

Could run all there cloud services.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Random question. How much profit would the builder(s) expect to make on a job like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Sorry, it was actually the Connacht Tribune

"Apple executives clarify 300 full-time jobs on-site in Derrydonnell when facility up-and-running. Construction jobs are separate to that"

Low wage jobs are better than no jobs at all. It all looks good for the west to be attracting them to invest in the first place no?

Random question. How much profit would the builder(s) expect to make on a job like that?
    How many Irish builders do you think have the skills to build this datacentre.
    Also, as it is for consumer data I don't think the datacentres will feature the levels of security a business datacentre would possess. The datacentre next door to me is built with layers and you only get entry to the innermost layers if you have sufficient security clearance.
    The pictures of the datacentre also make it appear to be very low rise.

mary90 wrote: »

"Apple executives clarify 300 full-time jobs on-site in Derrydonnell when facility up-and-running. Construction jobs are separate to that"

Low wage jobs are better than no jobs at all. It all looks good for the west to be attracting them to invest in the first place no?
    Personally I'd prefer a native software development company trading overseas employing 25 or 50 developers; that's a small acorn from which a great oak tree might grow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

300 temporary construction jobs and there is no way they are going to be employing 100 full time staff. Of the staff they do employ a large proportion will be on low wages.
    Datacentres do not create huge amounts of jobs.
    The only good thing about them is that they do create sustainable jobs due to the amount of capital invested but if too much grant-aid was given then it is the government who is paying for the staff, not the company.

What about all the providers of ancillary services to the centre? Delivery spares, designing and building the electricity sub station, installing the fibre?

Only today the ESB announced they are hiring 300 new electrical apprentices. They are hiring engineering, telecoms and IT staff like they are going out of fashion. They must think Ireland is on the road to future growth. You don't make an investment in people like that without strong evidence of going to need them.

This is more good news for Ireland. The recovery is happening. This is bad news for people who believe in leftie and shinnernomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

It depends on how they go about the build - there's a few contractors capable. Clean rooms are common in pharma, biomed and lexlip! Builder's finish M and E wouldn't be particularly onerous if Apple were getting someone else to do the final fit-out.

Of course that doesn't mean it will be an Irish contractor. Every big contractor in Europe is probably on the phone this morning to see how they get a chance to tender! I've no idea what percentage profit!!

I'm sitting between two massive datacentres. Once built they don't do much except consume electricity and occassionally let out puffs of black smoke when the diesel generators are tested.

I'm sitting between two massive datacentres. Once built they don't do much except consume electricity and occassionally let out puffs of black smoke when the diesel generators are tested.

You should run a few pipes in underneath each of them - heat the house for free!

How many Irish builders do you think have the skills to build this datacentre.
    Also, as it is for consumer data I don't think the datacentres will feature the levels of security a business datacentre would possess. The datacentre next door to me is built with layers and you only get entry to the innermost layers if you have sufficient security clearance.
    The pictures of the datacentre also make it appear to be very low rise.

Well I'd imagine large parts of it are pretty standard construction.

Could be just a big shed if they want to go that way.

They're not the parts when the big money is earned.

They're not the parts when the big money is earned.

300 jobs for co. Galway is very big news though regardless of how big paying they are why do you feel the need to try and run it all down as if its nothing.

Then there are all the job during construction and all the local businesses that will benefit from a big new facility and all the people working there.

There are lots of people being forced to live in Dublin or worse again leave the country, this may be an opportunity for some to return home and that can only be a good thing.

300 jobs for co. Galway is very big news though regardless of how big paying they are why do you feel the need to try and run it all down as if its nothing.

Then there are all the job during construction and all the local businesses that will benefit from a big new facility and all the people working there.

There are lots of people being forced to live in Dublin or worse again leave the country, this may be an opportunity for some to return home and that can only be a good thing.
    300 jobs over the period of construction, not 300 jobs in one go and I know that the 100 jobs in the datacentre itself is an exagerattion and many of those jobs will be low paid.
    Very few people here actually work in our datacentres. They all access the servers remotely once they are set up and many are actually not even working on the servers from this continent.
    Our datacentres would be a lot more heterogeneous than what Apple will be building too.

Indeed, any job is good news. I would also imagine the pay for a lot of the roles will be good enough as a lot of the roles will require skilled, educated workers.

• Advertisement

300 jobs over the period of construction, not 300 jobs in one go and I know that the 100 jobs in the datacentre itself is an exagerattion and many of those jobs will be low paid.
    Very few people here actually work in our datacentres. They all access the servers remotely once they are set up and many are actually not even working on the servers from this continent.
    Our datacentres would be a lot more heterogeneous than what Apple will be building too.

It's 300 jobs excluding construction. When the facility is built there will be 300 positions to fill.

It's 300 jobs excluding construction. When the facility is built there will be 300 positions to fill.
    You are reading a different press release to me.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/
    It is understood that around 100 jobs will be created when the centre is fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Good to see it's not in the city centre either and is in Athenry instead.

Much easier get to as it's right beside the motorway.

mary90 wrote: »

You are reading a different press release to me.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/

Above.

Is there a datacentre in the world which employs 300 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

stimpson wrote: »
    It only takes a couple of shaved monkeys to run a data centre.

Where's my peanuts and promised banana ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Drift wrote: »
    You should run a few pipes in underneath each of them - heat the house for free!

There's a company in Germany that does "datacentres in your basement", once set up I believe it's free heating and hot water.

And if you actually use the service it's providing - staggeringly quick access times! Whoop whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is there a datacentre in the world which employs 300 people?

Directly? Not that I'm aware of.

The facility usually gets farmed out to companies like ISS, who would have HVAC engineers and electricians on call full time in the country or locality. Physical security would be at a minimum, lots of monitored cameras and one or two people at the entrance. You would have a handful of basic techs on site, they are there to rack servers, patch cables etc. Low paid, low skill positions. They wouldn't be 24/7, usually 9-5 with on call if really needed.

I can't see where 300 jobs would come from, I can't even see where 100 jobs would come from.

All the staff that would run the datacenter would already exist and would be unlikely to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/23/8089311/apple-european-data-centers-nearly-2-billion
    Each new center will measure 166,000 square meters, with Apple promising to deliver benefits to the local community. The facility in Ireland will include outdoor education space and walking trails for local schools as well as schemes to replant native trees in the surrounding area. In Viborg meanwhile, excess heat produced by the servers will be used to warm local homes.

Also protect Europeans from the NSA...
    Building data centers in Europe not only allows Apple to get rid of some of its foreign cash while creating local good will — it also put the company in a better position for defending users' data privacy. In the last couple of years there has been a surge in European data centers being built by US firms, with companies reacting to concerns that data stored on American soil will simply be hoovered by the NSA. Paul Nemitz, a director in the European Commission’s Justice Unit, described the uptick in new sites as "proof" that Europe was "becoming a trust center for data."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RobertKK wrote: »
    Also protect Europeans from the NSA...

Yeah, Microsoft has a landmark case up in American court about that. If they lose, then any company with an American base will see a huge amount of customer flight.

Advertisement