Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Possible* 6 Months FREE Music Streaming [YouTube]

Options
  • 22-02-2015 12:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just said I'd post this as a bit of a PSA as not everyone can get it and I didn't see a thread on it previously.

YouTube have launched a new music streaming service similar to Spotify called YouTube Music Key and it's currently in a beta for 6 months and €7.99/month thereafter.

It also links in with Google Play Music All Access so you get both.

The prerequisites are you need to have a card linked with Google Wallet, if you're an Android user you'd probably have this anyway. You also need to have YouTube a lot for listening to music, watching videos etc.

Then go here and hopefully there'll be a big blue box saying try it free.
    You're invited

Enjoy music ad-free, offline, and in the background. Limited time only.

€7.99/month. Try it free for 6 months.

Be sure to set a reminder to cancel!

Hope it's of some use to some of you! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭jessie_pinkman

none for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

none for me

Yep, unfortunately it seems very selective, I use YouTube a lot for music even though I've Spotify Premium and I got it.

Just said I'd post it here anyway.

Hope it works for some of you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

With this launching does that mean we'll no longer be able to just go on music channels and play music videos?

With this launching does that mean we'll no longer be able to just go on music channels and play music videos?

I highly doubt it, YouTube/Google would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that.

Almost an incentive for you to join YouTube Music Key they have 30 second ads on certain videos which aren't skippable.

YouTube Music Key has no ads which is good imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

If anyone cares, I already subscribe to Play Music and thus get You Tube Music Key.

It is an excellent service, also the added bonus of being able to watch the video (if there is one) of songs if you want is an excellent feature.

The music discovery system is as good, if not better than Spotify (i've used SPotify a lot too) as it uses both Play Music and your You Tube likes/favourites to determine what you're into.

I also like that my favourites on YOU TUBE can now be played in the background while I use other apps.

FOR 3 Users:

I'm on the PAYG €20 a month plan with Three, where you get a free tenner credit every month too. This is plenty of credit to use on other things and 3 allow you to use it to pay for things in the Play Store.

So if you Enable 3 billing on your device, you can use that free €10 credit to pay for this service every month, effectively in my eyes making it free. No option to do that with Spotify!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If anyone cares, I already subscribe to Play Music and thus get You Tube Music Key.

It is an excellent service, also the added bonus of being able to watch the video (if there is one) of songs if you want is an excellent feature.

The music discovery system is as good, if not better than Spotify (i've used SPotify a lot too) as it uses both Play Music and your You Tube likes/favourites to determine what you're into.

I also like that my favourites on YOU TUBE can now be played in the background while I use other apps.

FOR 3 Users:

I'm on the PAYG €20 a month plan with Three, where you get a free tenner credit every month too. This is plenty of credit to use on other things and 3 allow you to use it to pay for things in the Play Store.

So if you Enable 3 billing on your device, you can use that free €10 credit to pay for this service every month, effectively in my eyes making it free. No option to do that with Spotify!
    Can't seem to get the videos to play in the background. Is there anything I need to do apart from subscribe to get this working?

I didnt have to do anything special. Is YouTube and Play MUsic updates to latest version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I didnt have to do anything special. Is YouTube and Play MUsic updates to latest version.

Yeah both up to date. Just wasted a tenner so as I only subbed for the background playback. Doesnt seem you can get a refund on this sub.
    Sorted: Have two accounts in gmail. One being my name, the other my email address, when I switched it to email address the background playback started to work.

I'm sure you can enable it somehow.

Go into app. hit settings up top right, settings/background and offline/ Enable background playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

worked for me - cheers OP

I have Spotify Premium for €5.99 a month through Vodafone which in itself is a great deal but 6 months of totally free music is good too!

A great thing about it is that because it's YouTube any playlists I make while I've YouTube Music Key will still be there once my trial expires.

This was dissimilar to Google Play Music All Access whereby once my subscription had expired all playlists were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

This was dissimilar to Google Play Music All Access whereby once my subscription had expired all playlists were lost.

The playlists remain but it'll only play songs from your personal library that are on the playlist (part of the 20,000 song free upload) but once you renew the sub the playlist comes back in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

With Songza integration, that was enabled a few days ago, my €7.99 is great value for the Music Key service

Anyone who is on PAYG and mostly uses the internet/data and are looking for the best package for using stuff like this and Spotify and possibly Netflix should really check out that 48 network. I can't find any other networks with a plan as good as one of theirs which is 15GB of data for €15 /month...if anyone knows a better deal than this then please aware me lol

Anyone who is on PAYG and mostly uses the internet/data and are looking for the best package for using stuff like this and Spotify and possibly Netflix should really check out that 48 network. I can't find any other networks with a plan as good as one of theirs which is 15GB of data for €15 /month...if anyone knows a better deal than this then please aware me lol

Three, €20 All You Can Eat data. Some reporting no limit and others one of around 15GB.

Three, €20 All You Can Eat data. Some reporting no limit and others one of around 15GB.

Is that 4G too? And do they have many texts/calls included in that package? 48 don't have 4G which is a big disappointment really

Yep, and they give you €30 credit for your 20 quid.

Ive used 60GB this month, Fair usage policy is 15GB, In their T&C's they reserve the right to "reduce" or "limit" your service after this point (Not cut you off, more so limiting your download speeds)

Ive used 60GB this month, Fair usage policy is 15GB, In their T&C's they reserve the right to "reduce" or "limit" your service after this point (Not cut you off, more so limiting your download speeds)

Was that €30 for €20 a special deal? I never knew i got €10 extra :o

dunno, I get a text every month saying thanks for topping up, your extra 10e credit has been added.

• Advertisement

dunno, I get a text every month saying thanks for topping up, your extra 10e credit has been added.

Must have been a special offer djburchgrove, damn good deal though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It was an offer they had originally when they launched the €20 AYCE deal and I think it only applied to people signing up within the first couple of months of the offer but it applies for life (I get the same deal) but new customers won't get the €10 free.

How much of a difference did you notice in speeds after 15GB? Also, how do you use 60GB on mobile Internet? Lol

This deal with three has 4G also, does it?

Is that 4G too? And do they have many texts/calls included in that package? 48 don't have 4G which is a big disappointment really

Yep 4G and alright speeds too.

25/20Mb in Carlow.

48 run off O2 and as O2 is Three now I'd expect 48 to offer 4G very soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭jessie_pinkman

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Yep 4G and alright speeds too.

25/20Mb in Carlow.

48 run off O2 and as O2 is Three now I'd expect 48 to offer 4G very soon.

I tweeted them about two or three weeks ago asking if they had any estimate on when they would get 4G and they said they don't have any plans to provide it atm.

The lack of 4G is making me considering switching but I haven't done it yet.

I haven't noticed much to be honest, I can still stream Netflix in Full hd and get fast enough download speeds.

I run my own digital business and I'm constantly receiving files 2gb plus for downloads through we transfer and sites like that, images for design purposes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Back on topic, is there any deal to be got on Google music?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Back on topic, is there any deal to be got on Google music?

the one in the first post is for Google Music as well as YouTube Music Key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

loyatemu wrote: »
    the one in the first post is for Google Music as well as YouTube Music Key.

It's not working

Advertisement