Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to further my skills[PHP][OOP][Program Design]

Options
  • 20-02-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for pointers in how to improve my programming skills.

I come from an Electronic Engineering background, most of my programming knowledge is self thought. I have been working with Web Dev for a few years. Front end HTML, CSS and Javascript I all find fine.

In my current job I use mainly PHP and MYSQL and some front end. I have used PHP and MYSQL for a few years procedurally and have had no problem with them. A while back I took up a bit of Java on the side and really like using OOP concepts which is something I'd like to use more in PHP.

Unfortunately at my current job my boss is more old school/procedural style. We're a very small company so we don't really do code reviews or anything either so I'm finding it hard to learn new stuff.

I find I understand OOP concepts but my problem is trying to figure out how to design/build programs i.e. class layout, structure etc. I don't know what I should look into learning to help me with that.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you choose an OOP Framework and start learning how to create an application using it you will pick things up quickly. Laravel is probably the best PHP framework to learn because it is OOP and best-practice driven. It will be a steep learning curve if you haven't done OOP previously.

Codecademy : PHP - that will teach you the basics of how OOP fits together.
    Tuts+ have a number of free resources.
    Laracasts : $9 per month or $86 per year. It's a tremendous resource for learning to code PHP properly and also Laravel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1 for Laravel

Moving to like Talisman said, moving to OOP might be tough if you haven't done it before. With Laravel at least the underlying PHP will be familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

I've done a good bit of OOP before and I get the general concepts and have used it small scale quite a bit.

The bit I have trouble with is how to tie all my objects together. I dabbled a little in MVC with Java. I see laravel follows MVC so that could be a good way to progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Talisman

Using a framework will teach you how it all ties together. If you have MVC experience then Laravel is a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

I wouldn't call what I have MVC experience!! :D

Cool, I'll look into getting set up with that tonight so. Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd start with Laracasts for learning Laravel, IIRC the first 27 videos for Laravel 5 are free. Even if they weren't free, the $9 a month subscription will pay for itself the first time you get stuck on something.

Tip: use Homestead (Vagrant/Virtualbox) to save yourself a whole world of pain setting up your dev environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Simple....follow whatever Graham tells you......when it comes to PHP ...he knows his Sh!t!!

Everything else though we disagree on.....:D

Advertisement