Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

sad to hear about the lightning played them twice and obviously they had an off year last year but they where a sound bunch of lads. are they definitely gone for good or may they be allowed back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Tell me about it. I believe there will be a game share with themselves and the rebels, don't quote me on it. It's from a third party (neither team or iafa).

I don't know nerd, i know they lost a lot of players to dundalk and dublin teams. They also lost a coach (HC?) to the panthers i think about a week after the AGM

gufc21 wrote: »
    I don't know nerd, i know they lost a lot of players to dundalk and dublin teams. They also lost a coach (HC?) to the panthers i think about a week after the AGM

shame if any of the ex players/coaches are on here i wish ye all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

Was told yesterday that 6 teams were confirmed for IAFL2. Don't know if this includes drogheda and 2 b teams or 3 b teams. Can't think of who third b team is though. Belfast, rebels and ?

Schedule should be released Wednesday.

6 teams? That's be great if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Got the Schedule for IAFL 2

Galway Warriors
    South Kildare Soldiers
    Derry Donegal Vipers

Belfast Trojans B
    Dublin Rhinos B
    University Of Limerick Vikings B

6 Games each for GW, SKS, DDV & BT
    3 each for DR & UL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Got the Schedule for IAFL 2

Galway Warriors
    South Kildare Soldiers
    Derry Donegal Vipers

Belfast Trojans B
    Dublin Rhinos B
    University Of Limerick Vikings B

6 Games each for GW, SKS, DDV & BT
    3 each for DR & UL

Have you the dates yet?

April 12th - SKS @ UL - Double header with SBC game
    April 19th - SKS @ GW - BT @ DDV
    May 3rd - BT @ SKS - GW @ DRH
    May 10th - DDV @ BT - Double header with SBC Game
    May 24th - GW @ BT - DDV @ SKS
    June 7 - SKS @ DDV
    June 14 - DRH @ BT - Double header with SBC Game
    June 21 - GW @ DDV
    June 28 - BT @ SKS - UL @ GW
    July 12 - DDV @ GW

August 2 - IAFL 2 Bowl

Kick off 2pm - unless double header where kickoff is 4pm

Where did you get these fixtures from?

the league last night!

the league last night!

Ah they're pretty legit then.

• Advertisement

EJ88 wrote: »
    Ah they're pretty legit then.

oh yeah thats the offical schedule from the league! Obviously things can change but i think thats pretty much the finished article - gives us something to aim for now!

Vipers have a tough start with 2 games against trojans!

oh yeah thats the offical schedule from the league! Obviously things can change but i think thats pretty much the finished article - gives us something to aim for now!

Vipers have a tough start with 2 games against trojans!

Yeah we do. Trial by fire then.

Woohoo seasons underway ul beat trinity 14-0

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Hey guys big Nfl fan but no nothing atall about the Irish teams..would someone mind breaking it down for me (team styles or what their known for) if that's not too much trouble.? Cheers

changes at times season by season. belfast trojans are the clear dominant force they've only lost 1 game in 3 years. ul have started this year very well so they look like they will be the main threat to the trojans.

most teams are run based there are few that rely on the pass.

someone else (who's been playing longer) could give a better run down iv simply not played every team yet.

if you go on to http://nfl-ireland.com/category/iafl/ and read a few of the match previews/reviews that will give you a better idea than anything they do an excellent job

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Cheers for that who do u play for yourself

limerickfc wrote: »
    Cheers for that who do u play for yourself

admirals were still in iafl-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watching Rebels & Panthers at Westmanstown.

Do Irish teams always go for two after a TD? Rebels did it twice now. They have punting teams so I assume they have field goal teams?

Also when a reciever is lining up at the boundary they point at the sideline to the officials feet. Is that to make clear to the official they have not crossed the line of scrimmage?

mikemac1 wrote: »

Do Irish teams always go for two after a TD? Rebels did it twice now. They have punting teams so I assume they have field goal teams?

Also when a reciever is lining up at the boundary they point at the sideline to the officials feet. Is that to make clear to the official they have not crossed the line of scrimmage?

Depends on there kickers. We (galway) go for one if our kicker is there on the day. Went for one last week but was blocked (leaping missed) then went for two to make it a two score game.

More or less. They are checking with the official that they are onside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

There is a penalty flag thrown for Illegal Formation- 5 Men in the backfield. So when I'm lined up outside I'm looking at the wing official and either pointing at the ground to say that I'm On the line, or holding an arm back to tell him that I'm off the line and in the backfield. Similarly when I'm doing linejudge or Head Linesman duties I'm concerned with the receiver closest to my sideline. He will [usually] gesture his position and then I'll confirm by pointing to the ground if he is on, or by hold my arm out at a 90° angle to my side indicating he is off. This comes into play when my opposite number on the far sideline also has his/her arm up indicating their man is off the line. If the O# have two running backs and both wideouts are off, then the qb makes number 5 in the backfield and a flag is thrown for an illegal formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

It's more to do with the long snapper. It's a hard skill that makes or breaks the kick attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Was there myself home for the week. The Panthers always kicked I made sure I thought someone how to long snap before I left for the US s they have a solid kicker who is now their QB and Punter also.

BKWDR wrote: »
    It's more to do with the long snapper. It's a hard skill that makes or breaks the kick attempt.

Damn right, a very underrated skill.

BKWDR wrote: »

Sorry just assumed everyone trained a long snapper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Sorry just assumed everyone trained a long snapper

If you think about it, the kicker can kick in training from a kicking tee or stand all day and hit 40 yarders or whatever but the snapper in a game could get a bang, be out of breath or just not the best. I've seen in a few irish games the normal snap fail , let alone the long snap (which is difficult). Then placing the ball sweetly and doing it all quick enough so it won't get blocked etc. It's one swift motion that is trickier than most think

snapper shouldnt bit touched once his head is down tho - if he is its a penalty! Obviously i agree that its not easy to be a long snapper - but they shouldnt be getting a bang and the guards either side of him should be close to insure no1 gets inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Rebels were practicing their long snapping on the sideline. A few went astray during practice but in the game for one FG and some punts it seemed fine as I remember so all good :)

The center put a snap over the QB's head and got some words from the QB on the sidelines. Even the pros do it I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I had hoped to get out to watch the rebels on sunday as they only play their home games 5 mins away however wasnt too be.

One question and i'm assuming there's a few Rebels on here, but why do you guys always go for the 2 points even when the game is done as a contest?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

One question and i'm assuming there's a few Rebels on here, but why do you guys always go for the 2 points even when the game is done as a contest?

Probably because they don't thrust the kicker.
    Also going for 2 points and getting 50% of them is better that a 1 pointer and getting that maybe 75% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If the game is over as a contest, perfect time to get the kicker some in game experience

Advertisement