Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 or 4 day golf trip advice

Options
  • 02-02-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I usually head away to Murcia, Spain every October for 4 days of golf but this year we're going to keep it more local. I live in Belfast and I've narrowed it down to either Ireland or Scotland. I've been looking through Your Golf Travel for certain packages but wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us in either Ireland (Republic) or Scotland. Here's a brief overview of what we're looking for;

. 2 or 3 nights overnight stay
    . 3 rounds of golf
    . Somewhere that has a bit of nightlife that we can have a few drinks in the evening (nothing mental)

On the golf we would prefer to play different courses so looking for somewhere to stay and we weren't having to drive miles and miles each morning. Our handicaps are 9, 10, 17, 26. We aren't looking to spend £100+ per round but we're happy to spend anything up to £60. Also we aren't fussed on whether it's links or parkland, or a mixture of the two.

Hopefully some experts can reel of some options of the top of your head?

Thanks,

Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

martyorme wrote: »
    Hi,

I usually head away to Murcia, Spain every October for 4 days of golf but this year we're going to keep it more local. I live in Belfast and I've narrowed it down to either Ireland or Scotland. I've been looking through Your Golf Travel for certain packages but wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us in either Ireland (Republic) or Scotland. Here's a brief overview of what we're looking for;

. 2 or 3 nights overnight stay
    . 3 rounds of golf
    . Somewhere that has a bit of nightlife that we can have a few drinks in the evening (nothing mental)

On the golf we would prefer to play different courses so looking for somewhere to stay and we weren't having to drive miles and miles each morning. Our handicaps are 9, 10, 17, 26. We aren't looking to spend £100+ per round but we're happy to spend anything up to £60. Also we aren't fussed on whether it's links or parkland, or a mixture of the two.

Hopefully some experts can reel of some options of the top of your head?

Thanks,

Marty

Kilkenny / Waterford. Used to be a deal on with Mount Juliet, Faithlegg & Waterford castle playing all three courses. you could play MJ on way down and stay in Waterford. Though MJ is only about 30 mins at most I'd say from Waterford city so not necessary to play it on way down.

Other options down that way are gold coast, i've heard good reports but never played there. Bunclody is also close enough and well worth a game.

then you have Killarney, with Waterville, Ballybunion and Tralee not a million miles away.

loads of good stuff in Cork, you could stay in the city and you have Fota & Castlemartyr + many more, but that's all i'm familar with there.

Wicklow - Dublin - Kildare - spoilt for choice, list here would be just to long, but great deals could be gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Hi Martyorme

Plenty of places to go that wont break the bank. Not so sure what time of year you wish to go at but at the moment the weather has upset the golf with Im sure many courses keeping greens closed at least all morning or sometimes all day. Also not sure how far you wish to travel However you could play Knightsbrook and Rathcore and stay in Trim( perhaps easier on the budget ) or evenstay in Knightsbrook. You also can go further south and stay in Bunclody and play Bunclody, Mount Juliet and maybe Courtown or even Rosslare which is a links. Loads of choice - best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

If I were you I'd look at staying in somewhere like Cliften or Ballina and playing the local courses. You will find plenty of variety of courses within 30 to 60 min of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Tullamore,Esker Hills and K Club staying in Tullamore.Bridge House Hotel gives great offers.Have been there a few times with society .Great courses .

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Enniscrone, strandhill and Rosses point and stay in Sligo.

It would be a bit of a trek but we did Killarney last year playing mahonys point and Killeen and it was a great trip.

Otherwise, Galway bay, Connemara & one of Galway, Oughterard or ballinrobe staying in Galway you'd have plenty of nightlife to keep u entertained :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would go for Sligo for the golf and Galway if you favour the nighlife a little more.

If you fancy a break from the 3 links in the Sligo option they you could substitute Castle Dargan into the mix.
    You can get a Sligo links pass that allows you play all 3 for €118 which is great value (it's Mon-Fri though)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Headfort new and old and Ardee good 3 days golf

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Would have to second Sligo for probably the best value and a decent nightlife.

Courses you could play Rosses/Sligo, strand hill and enniscrone

Near by also would be Murvagh or pop into lough Erne and you way over.

You could also stay in ballina and do enniscrone and carne

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Plenty of options down Waterford way, Faithlegg, West Waterford, Waterford Castle, Tramore could also take in as mentioned above Mount Juliet.

Normally do these kind of trips with a few mates during the year we always wait until all the open fixtures are out and then go and book a couple of rounds on different courses around the same area. Last year we went down to Athlone and played there twice during open week and went to Glasson for the other round

• Registered Users Posts: 3 martyorme

Thanks a million to everyone for the great advice and tips, i'll be looking into it at the weekend, but from having a look online at the suggested courses above I can't wait for it. Really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 martyorme

Did plenty of research and got some good deals on yourgolftravel!

We're looking at playing and staying Portmarnock links on the Friday
    Playing Concra wood on the way back home to Belfast on Saturday.

The only debate we have is the options below for the Wednesday and Thursday;
    (1) Stay in Carton House for 2 nights, 2 rounds on O'Meara and Montgomerie course - £165 per person (includes bed and breakfast).
    (2) Stay in K Club for 2 nights, 2 rounds on Smurfit and Palmer course - £215 per person (includes bed and breakfast).
    (3) Stay in Court Yard Hotel for 2 nights, 2 rounds on either O'Meara, Montgomerie, Smurfit, Luttrellstown, or Palmerstown course - £189 per person (includes 1 dinner, bed and breakfast)

Benefit of court yard hotel over the other 2, I imagine drink and food prices will be much more reasonable. Drawback being that Carton House is 10 minutes from Court Yard, and K Club is 15 minutes which if we're boozing the night before, means taxis to the course and back.

Has any stayed in K Club, Carton House, or Court Yard to make any suggestions? Is there anywhere within walking distance to K Club or Carton House that has some wee bars and places to eat etc? Do the higher prices make up for the advantage of waking up and walking down to the course rather than driving?

Thanks,

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Never stayed in any as I live in area but the courtyard is a nice spot for a few beers, although would be quiet during the week. Maynooth/Leixlip are both close to Carton and wouldn't be much in a taxi if you were to head out for a few

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Check out Wicklow Golf Tours!!!

They have a deal where you can stay 2 nights and play 3 courses with breakfast included for €145 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Go to Wicklow, loads and loads of hotel deals and tonnes of courses to choose from:

I'd stay in Bunclody at the Millrace, have stayed here twice before with group of 12 lads golfing, great laugh in the town pinting in the evening.

Bunclody golf club across the road, carlow and mount wolseley within 30 mins. Macreddin which is a must play, I would urge you to play it is 30 mins away. You can play the European too on the open singles for €60 if you want a taste of links.

I always say, Donegal for links golf but Wicklow for parkland. Some of the best courses in the country and I wouldn't bother going to Druid Glen at all, poor condition these days and rest offer great tests at low prices.

Advertisement