Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Please tell me that the university hasn't made a grievous error. It should be Smokey's, shortened from Smokey Joes back when it was a little hut near the old engineering building and you could smoke inside.

Or so I've been told.

That hut (now Aras Failte) used to be Peggy's cafe, which closed circa 1996. I think I was in there once as a GIB. Smokey Joe's will always be the area outside the McMunn theatre which used to be swathed in smoke and coffee aromas. I don't know who Joe was but I will always call it that.
    Maybe Joe was Mussolini's real name?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

So is the library website down for anyone else or is it just me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

mc25 wrote: »
    So is the library website down for anyone else or is it just me?

I can access it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That hut (now Aras Failte) used to be Peggy's cafe, which closed circa 1996. I think I was in there once as a GIB. Smokey Joe's will always be the area outside the McMunn theatre which used to be swathed in smoke and coffee aromas. I don't know who Joe was but I will always call it that.
    Maybe Joe was Mussolini's real name?

Wasn't that Ma Creavin's ( late fifties )?

It was small, but she kept the footfall moving by "inviting" those who were there too long in her view to get out e.g ( shouted - "Ye second meds in the corner - ye are here anhour, get back to work "

When I got to UCG as Gib in 1956 I went to first Lit and Deb debate expecting to hear debates that would transform the world. The first debate I heard was a passionate one about the proposed increase of coffee/tea in Ma Creavin's from three pennies to four pennies a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I hate the swipe card access to the library - I know it keeps out non students, but I just hate the though of forced information gathering.
    Would be fun if every student FOI ' d the library computer system for a print out of all the enter/exit times - purely to screw with them nothing else.

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote: »
    I hate the swipe card access to the library - I know it keeps out non students, but I just hate the though of forced information gathering.
    Would be fun if every student FOI ' d the library computer system for a print out of all the enter/exit times - purely to screw with them nothing else.

How much logging are on the library access control?

True. But I find it annoying when non-NUIG students use the PC labs, especially because they are loud and when it's full. ISS stormed into the PC labs a few times last week looking for IDs as someone complained. Rightly so.

To be honest, I'm thinking of sending a data request to NUIG just to piss them off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

I'm genuinely curious - why would you be upset with NUIG knowing the times you enter/exit the library?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Cathalog wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious - why would you be upset with NUIG knowing the times you enter/exit the library?
    I'd say if you're borderline pass/fail and you haven't been in the library at all they'll fail you. That sounds plausible :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Cathalog wrote: »

Because, one day I could walk into the building and the next day without anyone asking me I must swipe in. Is there a web page or some documentation to show who stores the data? where? for how long?
    Like another poster pointed out, do you really want a system where staff can look at enter / exit logs for library use ? Bad enough they make freshers swipe into certain lecture halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I'd say if you're borderline pass/fail and you haven't been in the library at all they'll fail you. That sounds plausible :cool:
    That sounds like it'd be too much work to organise for NUIG. Regardless, that wouldn't be a valid metric for deciding grades, not everyone uses the library. Exam board meetings where they discuss students are sometimes based on lecture attendance and if the lecturers have seen a visible effort from the student.
    Because, one day I could walk into the building and the next day without anyone asking me I must swipe in. Is there a web page or some documentation to show who stores the data? where? for how long?
    Like another poster pointed out, do you really want a system where staff can look at enter / exit logs for library use ? Bad enough they make freshers swipe into certain lecture halls.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/data_protection/
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/information-solutions-services/ictpolicies/

Any logging data like that wouldn't be available to the general staff. It'd fall under ISS, most likely.

Besides, I'm sure you ticked the same box saying you accepted the Terms and Conditions of attending NUIG during registration. While I haven't read them myself (shocker!), I'd say the answer to your question is buried somewhere in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

wmirl wrote: »
    That sounds like it'd be too much work to organise for NUIG. Regardless, that wouldn't be a valid metric for deciding grades, not everyone uses the library. Exam board meetings where they discuss students are sometimes based on lecture attendance and if the lecturers have seen a visible effort from the student.

I think you missed the posters sarcasm.

It shouldn't matter a damn where you studied. You could have sat in s'macs for the whole year reading nothing but the menus, and if you passed your exams without cheating then you deserve the degree like anyone else.

wmirl wrote: »

http://www.nuigalway.ie/data_protection/
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/information-solutions-services/ictpolicies/

Any logging data like that wouldn't be available to the general staff. It'd fall under ISS, most likely.

Besides, I'm sure you ticked the same box saying you accepted the Terms and Conditions of attending NUIG during registration. While I haven't read them myself (shocker!), I'd say the answer to your question is buried somewhere in there.

Probably Buildings or Security

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks like NUIG have changed the website.... again! I wonder will it function any better now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Looks like NUIG have changed the website.... again! I wonder will it function any better now

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

NUIG website functioning....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ugh. What a horrible-looking yoke. Not that its predecessor was much better.

Do those three ladies know that they're plastered on NUIG's homepage? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

my god its awful, still exactly the same if you go into a few pages though. I'm not there anymore but how long has Donal been Dean of science? !

New website looks a little easier to navigate. Before there were tons of menus which confused the hell out of me whenever I was looking for something.

I'd usually go to google site:http://www.nuigalway.ie "search term" to get anything.

This website is also responsive and will work just as well on mobile devices.

It's going to take a lot longer for the other pages on the site to catch up. e.g. http://tto.nuigalway.ie/en/news

When will designers learn that if someone is looking for keywords, ALL CAPS is horrible WRT the menu. Makes scanning much harder. That's why road signs are supposed to be mixed case.

Nothing ever works right here. I think it's an improvement on the other one though :rolleyes:.

I overheard library staff and others not being able to access the student email as the tab was gone. In fairness you can just google it.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I overheard library staff and others not being able to access the student email as the tab was gone. In fairness you can just google it.
    Any time I wanted to access NUIG stuff I had to use Google. Even if that's an easy option, it's still ridiculous.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Any time I wanted to access NUIG stuff I had to use Google. Even if that's an easy option, it's still ridiculous.

You couldn't bookmark things?

• Advertisement

But you shouldn't have to. There should be a tab on the top right like before. E.g. for clubs I Google it, you would hardly bookmark every club.

I never bookmark anything! :eek:
    (Except for research papers and stuff that I convince myself I'll go back and read later...)

Aside from email and exams stuff, I never really used the nuig website anyway. But when I did have to try to find a form or something.. urgh...

if you visit it frequently, then it'll come up when you start typing in studentmail.whatever in your URL bar. I bookmark a ton of stuff but regularly visited things don't need it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Googling "nuig thingIdesperatelyneed" tended to work quite well for me, tbh

Anti abortion chalked on the concourse outside the library.

That's going to cause controversy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Wonder if it's THAT Mayo family stirring ****e as usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lets have another vote. Third times the charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

It appears to be Life Soc who've done it (see their Events section) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lets have another vote. Third times the charm!
    Can't. It's been 2 years since the last one, an amendment to the constitution last year is that a referendum to change a specific part of the constitution can only happen every 3 years. So, a referendum on abortion can only happen every 3 years.

• Advertisement

Cocolola wrote: »
    It appears to be Life Soc who've done it (see their Events section) :rolleyes:

They only have 1 committee member, didn't know they still existed. I remember their stand on Socs day.

Advertisement