Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing weight

• 05-02-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭

So another boring day in work had me looking round the interweb trying to pass the time. Found this article about 'racing weight' by Chris McCormack

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/05/nutrition/chris-mccormack-on-the-triathlete-weight-debate_74945

What do people think?? I get the impression it really only applies to the pro's. But have thought about it from my own perspective too, I'm naturally slight and short, (5''8, 60KG), at my heaviest, when a student and drinking most weekends and the eating that goes with that, I was around 73kg. I reckon I could lose another kilo or two without it negatively impacting on my training or races. But for longer distances would I be better a bit heavier? (this is not a question really, just a thought based on the article) Or is the simple 'jiggle test' the best way to see if you need to lose weight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Like everything it's a balancing act. Lighter usually means running faster. But what good is that if you've lost power on the bike. As with most things it's very personal as you might be more injury prone at a lighter weight than someone else. So many variables IMO.

When I did my first IM people were telling me I was too thin. Last year I was nearly 2kg lighter but felt a lot better and was physically stronger than when I did my first IM. Cumulative training certainly helped in the intervening period. So I guess it depends on where you are in your development as an athlete too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

If your mammy isn't worried that you're eating enough, you're too fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

joey100 wrote: »
    So another boring day in work had me looking round the interweb trying to pass the time. Found this article about 'racing weight' by Chris McCormack

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/05/nutrition/chris-mccormack-on-the-triathlete-weight-debate_74945

What do people think?? I get the impression it really only applies to the pro's. But have thought about it from my own perspective too, I'm naturally slight and short, (5''8, 60KG), at my heaviest, when a student and drinking most weekends and the eating that goes with that, I was around 73kg. I reckon I could lose another kilo or two without it negatively impacting on my training or races. But for longer distances would I be better a bit heavier? (this is not a question really, just a thought based on the article) Or is the simple 'jiggle test' the best way to see if you need to lose weight?

Ah joey, most of the irish triathletes are fat for normal people never mind athletes and now you are posting a link to tell them to put on more weight cause macca said you can be too lean??? :)

Discovering race weight, in my opinion, goes through a number of phases that happen over years
    1 My race weight is X
    2 Realising that X is too high, so you knock half a stone off to get Y
    3 Realising that Y is still to high so you knock a stone off to get Z
    4 Realising that Z is still a little high so you knock a few more pounds off to get B
    5 Realising that B is a tad too light and halfway between Z and B is right.

Body fat is really the best way to do it. If not a single digit you have more to lose, once you start fluttering under 8% you may run a risk of going too light for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

Was half thinking the same myself, just didn't want to say it!

Although the last time I talked honestly about weight I got a stalker and was abused for a year about everything from sexuality to family. So I might take any serious discussion on weight out-of-band and do over email/pm if you don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Ah dammit! So today I learned I'm still fat >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i have not read the article but all i can say its funny he would write this given the fact that one of his atheltes was too skinny this year and lost bike power.and it was clear for prety much all year and not just a suprise at hawaii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Can I not just use this excuse?

im-just-big-boned.jpg

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Discovering race weight, in my opinion, goes through a number of phases that happen over years
    1 My race weight is X
    4 Realising that Z is still a little high so you knock a few more pounds off to get B

Body fat is really the best way to do it. If not a single digit you have more to lose, once you start fluttering under 8% you may run a risk of going too light for you.

Some of us just weight the same no matter what I do. I could probably put on 2-3 kg if I did nothing for 2 months but it would be gone again in three weeks.

And no, I'm not too skinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

RJM85 wrote: »
    If your mammy isn't worried that you're eating enough, you're too fat.

Thats my rule too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Funnily there's a book by that very title!

lgk wrote: »
    Funnily there's a book by that very title!

Book basically says all that Tunney said but takes much longer to get to the point
    1 My race weight is X

Book also recommends eating to lose weight that training on empty is not the right thing to do that all workouts should be fuelled properly and consistently to avoid stress reactions and fat storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Although the last time I talked honestly about weight I got a stalker and was abused for a year about everything from sexuality to family. So I might take any serious discussion on weight out-of-band and do over email/pm if you don't mind.

You shouldn't let one negative experience put you off from discussing here. Far too many people are quick to take offence regarding their weight, as though it was some unmentionable affliction that they can do nothing about.

After you met me in swim trunks the other day, you seemed hesitant to discuss weight in case I might have taken offence. In the end you took the gloves off, told it like it was (that I'd need to lose a lot of fat if I wanted to hit any of my Tri goals), and I've started to react to that advice. That's a lot more useful than tiptoeing around an obvious issue- lose weight to get faster would apply to probably 95% of posters here (to bring the topic back to the OP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Joe, you're well under Tunney's 8% threshold, have you considered you might be at your racing weight already?

Joe, you're well under Tunney's 8% threshold, have you considered you might be at your racing weight already?

I didn't really want to turn this into a thread about me, or anyone in particular. Wanted to keep it in broader terms. To be honest though I don't think I am in single digit body fat yet and if I am I wouldn't be far off 10%. I'm dropping a bit of weight by cutting the crap from my diet (I do still eat crap, just not the bucket loads I used to) still eating as much if not more but just watching what I eat. All the numbers are going up for me in training at the moment and I feel good.

I didn't really want to turn this into a thread about me, or anyone in particular. Wanted to keep it in broader terms. To be honest though I don't think I am in single digit body fat yet and if I am I wouldn't be far off 10%. I'm dropping a bit of weight by cutting the crap from my diet (I do still eat crap, just not the bucket loads I used to) still eating as much if not more but just watching what I eat. All the numbers are going up for me in training at the moment and I feel good.

If only there was someone with a body fat scales you could measure you on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Weren't you something like 7.x% when we tried that gadget in Killashee last season? Ok it was fairly unscientific I know :)

If the training numbers are going up and it's trending well and you're plotting your weight each month against those figures you're probably doing all that needs to be done to arrive at Tunney's magic sweet spot? All I would add to that assessment is keeping an eye on energy levels as well as power figures and weight?

@mojomaker, I think I was but wouldn't put faith in that machine at all, It had James at above 20% and he's definitely not that high. Like you say it's about finding that balance between weight, power and performance. I think for most of us that means dropping weight. Personally I think the article refers more to professional's where possibly due to the amount they training they do they have to track their weight so that they don't become too light. Not a problem 99% of amateurs have I would guess.

Personally I think the article refers more to professional's gingers where possibly due to the amount they training they do genetics they have to track their weight so that they don't become too light.

Genuinely, this is the only reason I own a scales. I got too light about 15 months ago through a combination of training and some food groups not agreeing with me.

BTH wrote: »
    Genuinely, this is the only reason I own a scales. I got too light about 15 months ago through a combination of training and some food groups not agreeing with me.

Ah here give us a few tips!! I wish I didn't have to go through them all to find out which ones don't agree with me.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Ah here give us a few tips!! I wish I didn't have to go through them all to find out which ones don't agree with me.

Garlic is one that BTH cannot tolerate.

Oh wait is that gingers or vampires?

Garlic is one that BTH cannot tolerate.

Oh wait is that gingers or vampires?

Same thing. :)

Dairy was the main culprit AKW.

Most people are delusional about weight in my experience. I raced last year between 70.5 - 71.5kg. I had more than one conversation with club mates where they acted shocked that I'd like to drop at least 3-4kg for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I look forward to the day when "should I aim to clock in at 72 or 75 kilos?" is a question I can ask myself without laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

RJM85 wrote: »
    Most people are delusional about weight in my experience. I raced last year between 70.5 - 71.5kg. I had more than one conversation with club mates where they acted shocked that I'd like to drop at least 3-4kg for this season.

Why have you decided you need to drop 3-4kg? Just because most people are overweight doesn't mean one individual can't be too light.

I think studying the figures here is very interesting;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Kona_14_Top_15_men_-_run_4714.html

The two fastest marathons were ran by guys who weighed 74kg and 78kg. Only one guy on the list would be lighter than your target weight, and he's a midget from France weighing 63kg. The heaviest guy on the list, at 79kg, ran a faster marathon than him.

Triathletes do not need to be as light as runners and long distance triathletes, the context in which the op was made, certainly don't.

For the op, honestly Joey, you're one of the slightest built triathletes I know. I don't see how you could lose 3 kilos without it affecting your power. And if you were thinking of going long, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

zico10 wrote: »
    Why have you decided you need to drop 3-4kg? Just because most people are overweight doesn't mean one individual can't be too light.

I think studying the figures here is very interesting;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Kona_14_Top_15_men_-_run_4714.html

The two fastest marathons were ran by guys who weighed 74kg and 78kg. Only one guy on the list would be lighter than your target weight, and he's a midget from France weighing 63kg. The heaviest guy on the list, at 79kg, ran a faster marathon than him.

Triathletes do not need to be as light as runners and long distance triathletes, the context in which the op was made, certainly don't.

For the op, honestly Joey, you're one of the slightest built triathletes I know. I don't see how you could lose 3 kilos without it affecting your power. And if you were thinking of going long, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

That's some coincidence. I used the exact same link yesterday to prove to someone off thread that I really can't lose a kilo or two. I'm the same height and weight as someone on that list :)

BTH wrote: »
    That's some coincidence. I used the exact same link yesterday to prove to someone off thread that I really can't lose a kilo or two. I'm the same height and weight as someone on that list :)

Great minds and all that!

I suppose the more important thing here is actually about body composition. I'd be perfectly happy to be the same, or even higher weight with better body composition. As it stands though, I personally have /fat/ to lose.

Ben Hoffman is similar weight / height to me. He's a lot leaner though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jaysus I feel incredibly fat after reading the womens one!
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Kona_14_Top_15_women_-_run_4711.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

This thread is just reinforcing me in thinking is to drop about 8kg. Going to have to get tougher on myself.

For anybody who is interested, here are my experiences with weight loss and some efforts I have made to get lighter.

When I started triathlon, I would have been about 80kg. At the time I thought it was a healthy weight and perhaps it was for what I was doing in life back then. But it certainly wasn't anywhere near my 'racing weight'.

After a few years in tri, I was down to 75kg, but I still subscribed to the belief that I was doing so much training, that I could eat whatever I liked and I'd be able to burn it off. I could always that see the top guys at races were leaner than me, but it was only really after my first long distance race in 2010, that I started to suspect that I might do better if I weighed less than 75kg.

I took a break from tri after this though and never acted upon this suspicion until I was doing an Ironman 70.3 in December 2012. I became obsessed about doing well in this race like I had never done before, nor since. Part of this obsession had me worrying about my weight. I was now of the belief that lighter, lighter, lighter was the way to go. I was determined to get my body weight down to below 70kg, for the simple reason that it was significantly lighter than I was at the time.

When I took the start line I hadn't quiet made it to <70kg, but I was as light as I had ever been at between 70.5-71.0kg. Looking back, I think my body was doing the best it could to stay close to my optimal weight on significantly reduced calories.

I was absolutely F*CKED after finished that race, and my body started going into shutdown. I was put on a drip and needed two full bags of fluids before the nurses would let me leave the medical tent. I'd managed to get through the race, without my dangerously low weight having an impact on my performance, but I don't think there is any way I would have got through an ironman at 70.5kg.

The next time I started an attempt to get below 70 kilos was for the Connemarathon last year. Being a running race, weight was going to have a huge bearing on my performance and I was once more thinking along the lines of 'lighter, lighter, lighter'.

A few months into my attempt to trim down, I started going to swimming lessons with Peter Kern. The first thing he said to me, before even asking anything about my swimming, was that I was 'too skinny'.

Despite him often saying the same thing for the next few weeks, I didn't pay him any heed. But I was shivering in the water and I finally conceded that if nothing else, I was trying to get too skinny too soon, for a race that wasn't happening for a few months.

I read 'Racing Weight' and after doing so, I stopped starving myself and gained a small bit of weight. It was enough to stop me shivering in the NAC, but not so much that it would be a hard job to loose it when the Connemarathon came round.

I abandoned sub 70 as a target, stopped obsessing about weight, and just concentrated on running. I enjoyed training more because of this decision. When I took to the start line, I was between 71-71.5kg, which is probably a small bit heavy for a marathon runner, but it suited me. Looking back on my race, I'm pretty confident in saying that I was in peak condition and this was probably the first time I had ever started a race at my ideal 'racing weight'.

For the ironman I did last September, I didn't obsess about weight either, but I didn't think I needed to be as light as I was for Connemara. It was from actually looking at Slowtwitch's top 15 Kona 2013 bike times, that I took the decision not to worry about getting any lighter. I'm 182cm tall and during race season float between 72-73kg. When all is said and done, the only distance I'm truly interested in is ironman. My physical stats wouldn't have looked out of place if thrown in among the list of pros on Slowtwitch. This really did give me great comfort, and the necessary confidence to just get on with the training and let my weight take care of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Appreciate the detailed post. In probably similar in weight and height to you at the start 182cm and a little heavier at aroubd 82kg. Went up to 85 or so at christmas but bak down again. I always said I'd wanted to keep below 80 in general forgetting about Tri so I am determined to drop down that. I'm concentrating on NS at the moment so sprint and Olympic distance. Reckon 75kg would be ideal for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

I'm 182cm tall and during race season float between 72-73kg.

I'm pretty much exact same height as you and i seem to hover around the 73-75 mark no matter what I eat now or how much i train.

I tried to drop below 70 for a race last summer and after 3-4 weeks i was around 71.. raced well but ended up sick for few weeks after.

shansey wrote: »
    I'm pretty much exact same height as you and i seem to hover around the 73-75 mark no matter what I eat now or how much i train.

I tried to drop below 70 for a race last summer and after 3-4 weeks i was around 71.. raced well but ended up sick for few weeks after.

Thats only roughly 9% bodyfat. I'd suspect the problem was how you were trying to lose weight rather than the weight itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That was a very detailed post zico and a good read.

The one thing I think that's important is how you make up that 72-73kg for your IM, i.e., body composition. Have you ever measured or tracked body fat? Also, the how and the duration of the weight loss are key factors.

@tunney - what's your recommended approach to dropping weight?

pgibbo wrote: »

The one thing I think that's important is how you make up that 72-73kg for your IM, i.e., body composition. Have you ever measured or tracked body fat? Also, the how and the duration of the weight loss are key factors.

@tunney - what's your recommended approach to dropping weight?

Slow and steady multi annual affair. Obviously my present state is not ideal but I got to 65kg (at 5 foot 10) twice. Once focusing on calorie defect and that resulted in illness and injury and was sustainable. Weight went back up. A few years later focused on calorie quality (and portion size) and I got to and maintained weight.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Your "base" is built over years, not one winter.
    Being robust happens over years.
    Attaining race weight happens over years.

Everything really takes years. Thats the hardest thing I find is helping people to understand that. Look at some that have come here, burnt brightly and faded away quickly, those that are going on and on and improving are those that take small steps forward but regularly and year on year - like bambatta, yourself, the ginger lad.

Saying "I'm going to drop 15kg and get to race weight this year while getting fit and strong and also learning to swim" isn't going to happen.

An ironman takes a five year plan, part of that plan is slowly chaning body composition.

Again all my personal opinion and my 2c

^ I blame the remote control

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »

I keep an eye on weight, but I don't and never have measured body fat. I accept this could be a misguided approach, but I don't aim for any specific number. The way I see it is I'll have a low body fat percentage, or I won't. Measuring my body fat won't change it.

I think it's pretty obvious from looking in the mirror whether I need to get leaner or not. Right now. I certainly do, but my goal race isn't for a long time. The following isn't meant as advice, but in a few months I'll spend more time cycling and running, and less time swimming and eating. My weight and along with it body fat levels will take care of themselves. Eat less, train more usually works.

@tunney

Much like good climbers don't make good time trialists, I have a suspicion some people might be too small to make good full distance triathletes. Have you any thoughts on that?

@tunney

Much like good climbers don't make good time trialists, I have a suspicion some people might be too small to make good full distance triathletes. Have you any thoughts on that?

Long distance is all about the bike really. Largely the run too but its absolute power on the bike and do be a good full distance (ie sub nine) you'd need a 4:40 bike and thats 260 watts AP for the bike. Not going to do that when 55kg.

Again though if you are 80kg you'll pay a price on the run and particularly in the heat.

@tunney

you mean miranda carfree,badman ,luc van lierde peter reed greg welsh et all ?
    weiss rappstar aernouts andreas ralert are incredible lean athletes

there is many people than can race very well being very light.
    so one should not generalize this. despite 70 .3 is about speed and ironman more strength..
    after all a good triathlete kind of wants to sit between a tter and a a good climber. (and then one has to work out whats best for him herself )

its true when hellrigel went form 6% bodyfat ( i think had him 68-9 kg at 178 and he was one of the very top cyclists) to 4% bodyfat he crashed and lost strenght. rana also did 4.19 in austria this year .
    I would say
    stadler kienle zack aere more outliers than very small athletes.

weight is only one part of performance and an average cyclist can still go sub 9 martin maldoon would come to mind who i think has run 2.58 in kona.
    and i dodnt think badmam with her 52 kg has ever been outcycled by an irish male.
    smaller skinier atheltes can compneste with lower cda and can go fast at 220 watts at the end you have to find out what gets you fastest to the finish line. and one would often agree that for an ironman thats pob 2 kg over oly distance ideal weight but it doenst have to like this.
    biomenchanics strenght ,mental strenght, training , nutrition, peaking at the right time etc would be part of the full picture rather than just focusing on one apspect. and as i said badman could go low for 4.30s in an ironman at 52 kg.

peter kern wrote: »

so one should not generalize this. despite 70 .3 is about speed and ironman more strength..
    after all a good triathlete kind of wants to sit between a tter and a a good climber. (and then one has to work out whats best for him herself )

its true when hellrigel went form 6% bodyfat ( i think had him 68-9 kg at 178 and he was one of the very top cyclists) to 4% bodyfat he crashed and lost strenght. rana also did 4.19 in austria this year .
    I would say

weight is only one part of performance and an average cyclist can still go sub 9 martin maldoon would come to mind who i think has run 2.58 in kona.
    and i dodnt think badmam with her 52 kg has ever been outcycled by an irish male.
    smaller skinier atheltes can compneste with lower cda and can go fast at 220 watts at the end you have to find out what gets you fastest to the finish line. and one would often agree that for an ironman thats pob 2 kg over oly distance ideal weight but it doenst have to like this.
    biomenchanics strenght ,mental strenght, training , nutrition, peaking at the right time etc would be part of the full picture rather than just focusing on one apspect. and as i said badman could go low for 4.30s in an ironman at 52 kg.

He said small.

Also Badman got pinged for EPO so lets discount her. Actually remove her (as she is a doper) and your argument disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Also Badman got pinged for EPO so lets discount her. Actually remove her (as she is a doper) and your argument disappears.

:confused: I had never heard of her being busted, are you sure you are not mixing her up with Nina Kraft who beat her but was subsequently caught

catweazle wrote: »
    :confused: I had never heard of her being busted, are you sure you are not mixing her up with Nina Kraft who beat her but was subsequently caught

I take it bad. I apologise. I was infact thinking of Nina Kraft.

peter kern wrote: »

I would say

FYI Liam Dolan out biked Badman in 2009 and 2012.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good thread.
    I echo a lot here. For most it will take time to achieve your ideal racing weight.
    I am 173cms and back in 2007 I was 85.6kg when I was a young 35 lad. Both of my 2 IM’s (2012 & 2013) I was mid 72kg. Because of the higher volume training I had expected to be lower each time. Never measured body fat
    I managed to achieve the magic 10st xx (69.9kg) week leading up to VLM ’12 when I managed 2:36. I found though I lacked some strength last 10k. I looked a bit gaunt.
    Fast forward to VLM ’14, 2yrs older I was 73.6kg on the start line. Close to same preparation (though had a few 80 mile + week versus a couple of 75 mile in ‘12).
    Managed 2:37 and found last 10k well within comfort zone. I felt stronger and wished I pushed harder in the last section of the race but feared I implode. I was surprised then at ½ stone heavier the race was easier.
    Saying that my target for VLM ’15 & 71kg & 72kg for IM Copenhagen. In the end it’s all about trial and error and finding out what weight works best for you.

He said small.

where did she get pinged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement