Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Pharmacist in Ireland but Studying in the UK

• 07-02-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am currently in Leaving Cert, I really want to become a pharmacist but feel that the points are two high in Ireland. I have been thinking of doing Master in Portsmouth University because the entry Requirements are manageable. I am wondering will my masters be equal to a Masters in Ireland and not have to do a year internship with RCSI. Also what are the registration fees like to be a pharmacist. Are there any hidden costs to a pharmacist e.g Insurence, I dunno. I don't people telling me that the pay is low and that your waisting your time just answer my questions if you could. Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The MPharm offered in the UK is NOT equivalent to that in Ireland and you would have to do a year's pre-registration training in the UK and be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council there BEFORE you can apply to the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland and practice in Ireland. You cannot do the degree in one country and pre-reg training in another.
    There is a cost to join the register and then a further fee to pay every year. You can check them on the PSI website but nobody can say what they might be in 5 years' time. If you are employed in a pharmacy they will have insurance to cover their employees but if you work as a locum you may want your own insurance.

Have you looked at the cost of fees and accommodation in Portsmouth and converted them into euro? It may be a very expensive option compared to repeating your Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hatty444

If I do the MPharm in the UK, and do pre-reg training over there and then come to Ireland, do I have to do further study to do so. I was looking at the RCSI website and it says they offer places to pharmacy technicians over 23. Would I be better off doing Pharmacy Technician in Carlow for 2 years and then doing pharmacy in RCSI. Since the course that I would be doing in Carlow only being a Level 6 course when I gain my 3 year experince required for a place when I go back to do Pharmacy would I be entitled to free fees. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

hatty444 wrote: »
    If I do the MPharm in the UK, and do pre-reg training over there and then come to Ireland, do I have to do further study to do so.
    No, you would then be qualified to work here but to gain employment you might have to do some unpaid work or shadowing to become familiar with the system here.
    I was looking at the RCSI website and it says they offer places to pharmacy technicians over 23. Would I be better off doing Pharmacy Technician in Carlow for 2 years and then doing pharmacy in RCSI. Since the course that I would be doing in Carlow only being a Level 6 course when I gain my 3 year experince required for a place when I go back to do Pharmacy would I be entitled to free fees.
    You would need to check that out. This is a option for mature students, hence the need to be over 23, so I think the rules regarding fees are different. However working as technician might give you a good insight into whether this is a career you really want and are suited to.

Advertisement