Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry and Gay Byrne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

King Mob wrote: »
    You only need that if you want the choice to be fair and just.
    And it's clear that God doesn't particular about that since he purposefully made Adam and Eve to be incapable of knowing the consequences of their choice.

Exactly. After all, when God says "If you eat of it, on that day ye shall surely die", wouldn't Adam and Eve have just scratched their heads and wondered what the big G was talking about? After all, death wasn't a 'thing' yet. They wouldn't have known what he was talking about.
    Antiskeptic, I'd like to ask you something. Since the apple is the Fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, how could it be just to punish A & E for doing something wrong (and all of their descendants, AND all other living creatures by introducing/allowing death into the world) when, prior to eating the apple, they would have had no knowledge of good and evil? In my view, it's as unjust as punishing a toddler and all of her playmates by tossing them a cake, telling them not to eat it then deliberately turning your back. It's classic reverse psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've another question - If death wasn't a 'thing' yet, why was there a tree of life?

I've another question - If death wasn't a 'thing' yet, why was there a tree of life?

Even better question - you hear from the Ken Hams of the world that before the fall, all animals were herbivores, and afterward, some became carnivores or omnivores.
    If death wasn't a thing before the fall...why did they eat? Eating would have served no purpose to creatures that are immortal. Did the grass and plants die when they were being eaten?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Taking the Adam and Eve thing as literal is silly.

It may be read as literal but the meaning I'm sure is more a teaching of right and wrong than we all originated from Eves vag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Gits_bone wrote: »

Yeah, like the one about the guy who's executed by the Romans, but three days later he rises from the dead, and then, get this, ascends into Heaven on a cloud!

How silly is that!

• Advertisement

I don't believe God created the world.

But who knows if there is something there? Lots of people with near death experiences say they rise above the room and look back down at the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

A lack of blood supply to the brain tends to cause hallucinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

But who knows if there is something there? Lots of people with near death experiences say they rise above the room and look back down at the body.

You know when you have a fever, are real sick at night and are raving.........

I remember hearing about an experiment where the guy running it put objects around the room that would have been observable only to a spirit looking down, objects that would have looked weird and out of place, things that would have caught the 'eye' of anyone in the required position.
    Not a single person in that experiment who claimed a NDE and who claimed to be able to see their body mentioned one of these objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It may be read as literal but the meaning I'm sure is more a teaching of right and wrong than we all originated from Eves vag.

True. I learned from Adam and Eve that it's wrong for a god to punish people for doing something wrong when they have no concept of what right and wrong is. It's a bit of a "Don't Do what Johnny Don't Does" kind of story in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Yeah, like the one about the guy who's executed by the Romans, but three days later he rises from the dead, and then, get this, ascends into Heaven on a cloud!
    A cloud? That's nothing. There's this other religion where another guy rides up into heaven. On a horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Why do they always say they rise above the room though? Heaven is not a physical place, so if your spirit leaves your body why would it move in a physical direction? If you want to say that the spirit is no longer held by gravity then shouldn't it fly off at a speed made up of the speed of the earths rotation on it's axis and orbitting of the sun ? Wouldn't the direction you spirit go then depend on the time of day (midday, spirit goes west, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is the entire basis of the 3 major religions - ultimately everything in Judaism, Christianity and Islam comes back to the fall of man, who is now constantly begging for validation from God.

If you don't take it literally, the whole house of cards falls down - the entire belief set has no basis in reality.

If you want to say that the spirit is no longer held by gravity then shouldn't it fly off at a speed made up of the speed of the earths rotation on it's axis and orbitting of the sun ?

These stories suggest that the spirit is material, but a bit lighter than air at room temperature.

These stories suggest that the spirit is material, but a bit lighter than air at room temperature.

So...it's helium then? Is that what's in helium balloons, what causes our voices to go squeaky? We're breathing in actual spirits :eek:

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    So...it's helium then? Is that what's in helium balloons, what causes our voices to go squeaky? We're breathing in actual spirits :eek:

I was thinking more like fart gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was thinking more like fart gas.

Explains why people fart when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Eve ate the apple, causing humans to be born sinners.

Jesus came and died for our sins, something which emanated directly from Original Sin (Adam & Eve).

If Adam & Eve weren't real, then Jesus' death did not save us from anything. Plus if Adam & Eve weren't real, then it wasn't the free will of man which resulted in man being kicked out of the Garden of Eden, thereby causing sin, sickness, disease, evil and ultimately death, but rather it means that God himself created man with all of these things. Therefore, God himself created evil and sickness and death, and again, it means Jesus' death served no purpose.

If Adam & Eve (to return things to Stephen Fry's comments) were not real, then Fry is completely right. God is evil. God is the direct cause of everything bad. God is the direct cause of children getting bone cancer etc. And again (repeating it because it's important), it means that Jesus' death served no purpose. That's a pretty big hole in Christianity imo.

Obviously, people are free to believe whatever parts of the religion they wish, but I think it's important to consider the knock-on effects of discounting parts of it.

Penn wrote: »

Jesus came and died for our sins, something which emanated directly from Original Sin (Adam & Eve).

If Adam & Eve weren't real, then Jesus' death did not save us from anything. Plus if Adam & Eve weren't real, then it wasn't the free will of man which resulted in man being kicked out of the Garden of Eden, thereby causing sin, sickness, disease, evil and ultimately death, but rather it means that God himself created man with all of these things. Therefore, God himself created evil and sickness and death, and again, it means Jesus' death served no purpose.

If Adam & Eve (to return things to Stephen Fry's comments) were not real, then Fry is completely right. God is evil. God is the direct cause of everything bad. God is the direct cause of children getting bone cancer etc. And again (repeating it because it's important), it means that Jesus' death served no purpose. That's a pretty big hole in Christianity imo.

Obviously, people are free to believe whatever parts of the religion they wish, but I think it's important to consider the knock-on effects of discounting parts of it.

Ah, well I think people believe largely what they're told at a young age.

Most old people believe in god because they'd be made go to mass at a young age and they still believe now because they don't want to think once they die that's it.

There are still some unexplained things like a Ouija board. How does that work? Are they piss takes by others?

Penn wrote: »

Even if they were real, as I've explained before, the way the story is told reveals it to be a complete setup. Thinking entities with no knowledge of right and wrong/good and evil, forbidden object placed right in the middle with easy access and nothing actually physically preventing access to it, and a supposedly all seeing and all-knowing entity wagging his finger, saying don't touch it and then supposedly walking away and leaving the entities who are essentially toddlers mentally thinking they're unsupervised.
    How is that NOT a setup? It then means that God "sacrifices" himself to himself to fix a thing he deliberately set into motion...and all for what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There are still some unexplained things like a Ouija board. How does that work?

Magnets, I think
    But it's not an exact seance.

mikom wrote: »
    Magnets, I think
    But it's not an exact seance.

Closest I could find with a quick search

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even if they were real, as I've explained before, the way the story is told reveals it to be a complete setup. Thinking entities with no knowledge of right and wrong/good and evil, forbidden object placed right in the middle with easy access and nothing actually physically preventing access to it, and a supposedly all seeing and all-knowing entity wagging his finger, saying don't touch it and then supposedly walking away and leaving the entities who are essentially toddlers mentally thinking they're unsupervised.
    How is that NOT a setup? It then means that God "sacrifices" himself to himself to fix a thing he deliberately set into motion...and all for what?

Aw hell, even if Eve was a wicked bitch that rejoiced in defying God it still doesn't make a lick of sense that her sin would need to manifest as some dark cloud that would haunt and condemn her descendants until the end of time, not to mention spilling out and corrupting the natural world like some evil spell in a Disney movie.

It'd be like if you designed a playschool so that at the first sign of misbehaviour from one of the kids the whole place would fill with corrosive gas that burns the skin and warps the wallpaper. Do you blame the kid or the fracking lunatic that built it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zillah wrote: »
    Do you blame the kid or the fracking lunatic that built it in the first place?

That depends. Was the kid who misbehaved tempted into it by a talking snake?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

And lets not forget that after we made our choice so we can have free will and stuff, God then changed his mind and wiped out most of the Earth so we could start again. Only we're still being punished for what Adam and Eve did.
    And then he changed his mind again and decided that now he'll never interfere with free will again. For realies this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

What standard of good and evil do you propose to measure God against?

I've posted this particular quote from Terry Pratchett before, but it is the perfect rebuttal of your nonsense:
    I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs, a very endearing sight, I'm sure you'll agree. And even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged onto a half submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters, who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

If your god actually existed (thankfully he doesn't, he was simply the product of a deranged megolomanical group of people), he would have in a just society have to stand trial for the crimes against humanity he has comitted over the years of our species existence. And if it happened there would be no possible way that he would not be convicted of crimes so heinous it would make the Nazis hung at Nurnburg look like a bunch of girl scouts who put a bit extra on the cookies they were selling.

So how dare you, how dare you, have the sheer audacious temerity to come on here and lecture the rest of us about how we should live our lives and where we get our morality from? You have the gall to worship the ultimate evil, the most immoral creature ever created by humanity, and then deride us and call us lesser beings simply because we have seen through the lies and evils of the cabal of megolomaniacs who control your religion. There is no other group of religions apart from the Abrahamic ones which have the bare faced evil to tell us that the evil in this world, the pain it spins on is created by a loving, perfectly good, creator and that to deny his existence (despite all the evidence telling us that he's a badly written fiction) is the worst evil imaginable and that all the evil acts attributable to him are actually for our good. We have grown up, we have become wise, we no longer have time for such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://corasherlock.com/lost-in-quotation-stephen-fry-on-the-meaning-of-life/

Cora "Women Deserve Better than Abortion" Sherlock weighs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

God doesn't step in and alleviate the discomforts of this life. Cancer and any other misfortunes are all part and parcel of this valley of tears. The cancers of this world have come about because of the way we live and how we treat this planet. The chips fall where they may and the fact that some people suffer more than others is not down to God. We are all here with free Will and how we use it is up to us. If God were to step in then we wouldn't have our free Will anymore. Also, the people who suffer in this life are probably closer to God than the people who don't. As far as God's concerned we are here to get into Heaven when we die so anything that brings us closer to this aim is really a good thing. We are not here to have a ball. This would be how I see it.

The promise of jam tomorrow. Millions have starved in the past who were gullible enough to believe it, and it seems there are still millions willing to starve today.

Edit: And how do you reconcile the two incompatibilities in your theology that you mentioned, a) our free will, and b) your imaginary friend's omnipotence. If he has the power to do anything then we don't have free will, because he can force us to do what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

obriendj wrote: »
    I think when Gay sits back in his chair with a face of contempt, is completely disrespectful.

I don't think that's an expression of contempt at all. Gay knew exactly what the answer would be . . . he's talking to an intelligent, articulate atheist so the answer was always going to pour scorn on the concept of a deity. The expression on Gay's face is (fake / showbiz) surprise, that Fry did not soften the tone of his response for an Irish audience.

Gay Byrne would probably say he admires Stephen Fry for his eloquence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the best analysis yet:
    But I trust Gay Byrne’s Big Face. I assume when, in the finale, the programme does hit upon “the meaning of life”, the stars will go out one by one and our heads will start to melt like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    “Now this,” I’ll scream to my melting wife, “justifies the licence fee.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/why-are-we-here-is-there-a-god-what-happens-when-we-die-what-is-the-meaning-of-the-meaning-of-life-1.2091206

Advertisement