Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry and Gay Byrne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

StateofDaniel has released a video on this, and boy oh boy...
    Can someone explain to me how he can listen to "Bone cancer in children" and attempt to explain that away by using the analogy of unwanted presents from Santa?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

responding would probably (at the least) involve losing over six minutes of my life to a pointless video, so in short, the answer to your question is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

responding would probably (at the least) involve losing over six minutes of my life to a pointless video, so in short, the answer to your question is no.

Don't blame you for you not wanting to...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Fry's comments have been nominated for an award which "celebrates excellence" in religious broadcasting:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/21/stephen-fry-god-evil-interview-religious-broadcasting-award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how he can listen to "Bone cancer in children" and attempt to explain that away by using the analogy of unwanted presents from Santa?

This is why I am really starting to enjoy Youtube content creators. They are totally fine with presenting crazy-ass, flat out wrong, opinions and hypotheses with absolute, self-assured, confidence. Brilliant.

He's pretty dishonest. Fry was clearly saying that IF God existed then this would be his opinion on that God. How someone can twist that into "well, you don't believe in God so how can you say God is bad"? It's bizarre.

It's like saying "I'm on a diet but if I could eat ice cream then I'd go for some mint choc chip right about now" and your idiot friend turning round and saying "how can you say you'd eat mint choc chip ice cream when you are supposed to be on a diet"? Clown.

I always thought his other point is quite an odd argument to make. Basically if there is no God then there is no purpose and the universe is just mindless random luck. So because the idea of an indifferent or impersonal Universe seems frightening or uncomfortable it follows that it's your moral obligation to believe in God?

It's weird. I've always thought it's weird.

If the universe is just random then there is no Justice. Since all good people believe in a sense of Justice it follows that a universe without justice is immoral. So, it's immoral to not believe in God? Got it. :rolleyes:

If you call injustice "Evil" then if bad things happen then that proves that Evil exists. Since Evil exists then it's opposite, Good, also exists. *makes absolutely massive leap* Good comes from God. Therefore, God exists. :rolleyes:

I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Fry's comments have been nominated for an award which "celebrates excellence" in religious broadcasting
    Poor old Gaybo. His comments during the same program have not been nominated for anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    an award which "celebrates excellence" in religious broadcasting

I'd imagine they don't so much have a shortlist, as a microlist.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I read it as the programme was nominated for the award? The Awards site itself says "STEPHEN FRY (THE MEANING OF LIFE WITH GAY BYRNE)" has been shortlisted for Interview of the Year.

I imagine Gaybo will be at least as happy as Stephen Fry with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    That guy has some serious logic issues, he hears Fry saying:
    "[if the universe was created by a god] - god is a maniac."

He says "we have an atheist who doesn't blame god, who would blame god for the injustices".

He doesn't seem to understand the - if you believe something is false and it turns out to be true, what would you think - stance.

Then he says 'if atheism is true and there is no god then we live in a universe of random electrons.[..] and that doesn't jive with me'

Interesting logic there.

And why did he horizontally flip the interview video?

Absolam wrote: »
    I read it as the programme was nominated for the award? The Awards site itself says "STEPHEN FRY (THE MEANING OF LIFE WITH GAY BYRNE)" has been shortlisted for Interview of the Year.

I imagine Gaybo will be at least as happy as Stephen Fry with that....
    I suppose Gaybo can bask in a certain amount of reflected glory, but his own barely concealed contempt for Fry's views will not win any awards.

I'd imagine religious broadcasting is a bit like moderating "the other forum" on boards. You allow in a few atheists and they add a bit of cultural enrichment, and bring up the general standard of discussion, but then pretty soon they start to destroy the whole "ethos" of the program, and they have to be restricted. Its a dilemma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you cross the two you end up with Gay Fry.

recedite wrote: »
    I suppose Gaybo can bask in a certain amount of reflected glory, but his own barely concealed contempt for Fry's views will not win any awards.
    I have a sneaking suspicion the contempt was more in the eye of the beholder, but I'm certain Gay has always had a view to making good tv... and there's no doubt his interview of Fry made for good tv :)
    I'd imagine religious broadcasting is a bit like moderating "the other forum" on boards. You allow in a few atheists and they add a bit of cultural enrichment, and bring up the general standard of discussion, but then pretty soon they start to destroy the whole "ethos" of the program, and they have to be restricted. Its a dilemma.
    Why imagine? There's a list of all the shortlisted programs on the website, with links. Quite a few of them look like fascinating viewing (or listening, as the case may be).

Yes I might look up some of them. I imagine Songs of Praise from the Jungle in Calais will consist of a 20 or so English ladies in flowery dresses lined up perfectly at the edge of a muddy encampment, all singing cheerfully while some sullen Muslim gentlemen look on with a mixture of bemusement and boredom. Hopefully the reality of the program will not disappoint.

Yes I might look up some of them. I imagine Songs of Praise from the Jungle in Calais will consist of a 20 or so English ladies in flowery dresses lined up perfectly at the edge of a muddy encampment, all singing cheerfully while some sullen Muslim gentlemen look on with a mixture of bemusement and boredom. Hopefully the reality of the program will not disappoint.
    Maybe a little less fascinating than 'Muslim Drag Queens' in fairness, though (perhaps) less heartbreaking than 'Mr Alzheimers and me' as well. But I think you may have misunderstood the title; it's actually about a tarp and wood church built by migrant Christians in the "Jungle Camp' encampment in Calais. Just the one English (well, Scots) lady (not, unfortunately, in a flowery dress) and a fairly interesting look at the plight of Eritrean and Ethiopian migrants. Not sure if you can tell whether any of the sullen onlookers are Muslim or not, only that they're not terribly happy with their situation.
    But the subsequent programme segment from Coventry might sit better with your preconceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I suppose Gaybo can bask in a certain amount of reflected glory, but his own barely concealed contempt for Fry's views will not win any awards. .

Where was the contempt? What are Gaybo's religious views?

Gordon wrote: »
    And why did he horizontally flip the interview video?

Probably an attempt to defeat Youtube's piracy detection.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

feargale wrote: »
    Where was the contempt?
    At 1.45 in the OP video check out Gaybo making his roll-eye face while Fry is still speaking. Wasn't expecting such blasphemy.

At 1.45 in the OP video check out Gaybo making his roll-eye face while Fry is still speaking. Wasn't expecting such blasphemy.

Those bits are all acted, and edited in later for effect.

Those bits are all acted, and edited in later for effect.
    Oh ye of little faith :pac:
    I think I can see the gesticulating Hand of Fry sweeping the air in front of Gaybos pocket hanky, just at that moment.
    Or I suppose it could be the faint image of Gaybo's personal angel collapsing and falling off his shoulder.

It could be a stunt hand :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Wait a minute...these are FAKE hands!" ;)

Certainly a hammy gesture. I wonder how much it encouraged Fry to expound on his thinking....

Absolam wrote: »
    I wonder how much it encouraged Fry to expound on his thinking....
    Fry finishes his sentence. Gaybo makes a comment that Fry's answer was longer than was expected (perhaps not the usual trite expected from guests on this show).
    And that is that, the video clip ends because its the end of anything worth watching. Fry took the hint.

Fry finishes his sentence. Gaybo makes a comment that Fry's answer was longer than was expected (perhaps not the usual trite expected from guests on this show).
    And that is that, the video clip ends because its the end of anything worth watching. Fry took the hint.

He took the hint from Gays expression and gave a much longer than usual answer? Maybe so. How do you know the video clip ends there because it's the end of anything worth watching? I thought it ended there because that particular question and answer was the most entertaining answer from the show; a great soundbite to promote the show, so a bit of a coup for Uncle Gaybo. But I did find other parts of the interview interesting; Fry is an interesting guy. I assure you that's not the only part of the interview worth watching, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sorry. I'm not good at sign language. How do you know if this "rolleyes" was saying "hogwash" or "interesting"?
    Your reference to blasphemy would appear to elevate Fry to deity status. I guess that's the way of the world. Today's rebels/dissidents/heretics are tomorrow's tyrants/didacts/unquestioned and unquestionable authorities.
    I'm still waiting to be told what Gaybo's beliefs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

feargale wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm not good at sign language. How do you know if this "rolleyes" was saying "hogwash" or "interesting"?
    Your reference to blasphemy would appear to elevate Fry to deity status. I guess that's the way of the world. Today's rebels/dissidents/heretics are tomorrow's tyrants/didacts/unquestioned and unquestionable authorities.
    I'm still waiting to be told what Gaybo's beliefs are.

Gaybo's look was like that when you stand in dogsh1t, pure distaste. The blasphemy Recedite was referring to was Gaybo's thoughts on Fry's answer.

I'd have thought Gaybo's beliefs would be well known, i.e fairly orthodox RC.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Gaybo's look was like that when you stand in dogsh1t, pure distaste. The blasphemy Recedite was referring to was Gaybo's thoughts on Fry's answer.

Wow... you're obviously not as expressive as me when you stand in dogsh1t!
    I read it as more of an "ah, here we go...", not enough to cause Fry to take offense and stop answering, but enough to indicate that it would be a contentious answer worth expounding on.

Though I also think there may be far far more being read into a moment of expression than is warranted.....

Pherekydes wrote: »

That's not what the senders of his hatemail in the 60s and 70s were saying.

Whatever his personal beliefs were or indeed are, he did a great service to the people of Ireland who did not or could not conform to the suffocating catholic orthodoxy.

Transparent nighties n'all.

He was also the first, and possibly the only, RTE presenter to unroll a condom live on air onto a fairly realistic looking prosthetic penis.

That's not what the senders of his hatemail in the 60s and 70s were saying.
    Whatever his personal beliefs were or indeed are, he did a great service to the people of Ireland who did not or could not conform to the suffocating catholic orthodoxy.
    Transparent nighties n'all.
    He was also the first, and possibly the only, RTE presenter to unroll a condom live on air onto a fairly realistic looking prosthetic penis.

Don't forget 'that woman'. Actually now I think of it, those women! I don't think he was actually on a crusade to drag Catholic Ireland kicking and blaspheming into the 20th Century, but he certainly knew what controversy would generate viewing figures... without quite getting him fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Gaybo has always been anti religion.
    I always wondered how fry could get so hysterically angry with someone he doesn't believe exists, I think that's why Gay gave the surprised look for the camera more than anything.

Advertisement