Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car battery and electric fence

Options
  • 26-01-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Would a car battery work for an electric battery fencer??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Use one all the time here. Just make sure to put the battery on a dry piece of timber to stop the ground drawing power out of the battery and throw an old meal bag over it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

eorna wrote: »
    Would a car battery work for an electric battery fencer??

On a 12v wet battery fencer it'll work away the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ladeeen

We use an old plastic toolbox when using a car battery for fencer, keeps it dry and stops it losing power, as well as keeping nosy

beasts away from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Anyone have a link to the security box that sumeone made up here?

I think it was blue5000 can't remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The answer is depending on the battery voltage your fencer takes, obviously if it's 12V then its perfectly fine.

A lot of battery fencers take rectangular batteries like this type

electric-fence-battery-55-300.jpg

These are 9v, so to use with a "car battery" get an inline converter like so:

ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1004&MerchantID=11144&ImageID=3729&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=90285

They are only a couple of quid on Ebay or where ever.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pow er-Supply-12V-To-9V-3A-27W-Car-Volt-DC-DC-Converters-Module-Regulator-/151301791100?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233a4a1d7c

You simply snip the two wires from the old 9V battery, solder it to the 9v output on the convertor, that's your fencer side sorted.

For the car battery side, extend the two remaining wires add an inline fuse to the (+) wire and use two crocodile clips for conveniently connecting to the car battery and you ready to go.
    Your 12V battery will now supply 9V to the fence like the original battery.
    Just make sure to put the battery on a dry piece of timber to stop the ground drawing power out of the battery

That's an old wives tale, as the ground can't draw power.
    It is however a good idea to put the battery in a plastic box to keep the terminals / crocidile clips from shorting / corrosion.

The best advice with a "car battery" is charge it as often as you you can and never leave it for a long period in a deeply discharged state. You could also buy a little 12v solar panel to replenish the car battery, when it's sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I have been running our Gallagher B45 fencer for the last 5 years or so, on old tractor batteries. If you buy their small battery it is rated 9V, but can also use ordinary 12V batteries (Tractor, car etc) no problem too. What make / model do you have? You will probably find users manuals on the internet to check this. Here's what the literature says.

- Also keep the battery well charged up, especially when you are not using it, say over the winter. The tractor battery I am using now, I took from our tractor, as it got weak about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

great thread

The father has been using old car batterys for years. last year he started using solar panels to keep the batterys topped up. Never has to change batterys now

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Also have a Gallaher fencer its yellow in colour and i suppose must be a B45 and I do the exact same as you Onyourbikepat, we have a couple of old tractor batteries that i keep charged up and swap around as i strip graze when grass get strong.
    I never buy the 9volt anymore - just use the old 12v batteries

Thing is to keep a good check with a 'fence tester' to make sure you have a good shock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

The answer is depending on the battery voltage your fencer takes, obviously if it's 12V then its perfectly fine.

These are 9v, so to use with a "car battery" get an inline converter like so:

ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1004&MerchantID=11144&ImageID=3729&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=90285

They are only a couple of quid on Ebay or where ever.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pow er-Supply-12V-To-9V-3A-27W-Car-Volt-DC-DC-Converters-Module-Regulator-/151301791100?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233a4a1d7c

You simply snip the two wires from the old 9V battery, solder it to the 9v output on the convertor, that's your fencer side sorted.

For the car battery side, extend the two remaining wires add an inline fuse to the (+) wire and use two crocodile clips for conveniently connecting to the car battery and you ready to go.
    Your 12V battery will now supply 9V to the fence like the original battery.

Bump.

Rather than solder to the fencer side, will joining the Converter via an ordinary electrical connector suffice? In case you want to use the fencer with it's proper battery again...

How easy is it to fit a fuse and crocodile clips? have little experience of this, not being electronic minded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement