Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door salesmen, how do you see us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Although not exactly a door-to-door salesman, I did once work delivering pizza when I first moved to the US. It was very interesting. Several times, the person ordering opened the door in the nude and invited me 'for a slice'....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

quainy wrote: »
    I'm a door to door salesman. I like to think I'm a good one, in fact, I enjoy my job. Sure, I stand in the hurling rain, the sleet, the hail, but I sign people up that are willing to give monthly donations to charity. Some people slam what I do, because of what the owners of the charities earn every year and I understand that it can be frustrating, it's frustrating for us too.

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer, or might be the few euro used to save a homeless man from the bitter cold this January.

I want to know, how do you guys see us?

I know that some people see us coming and say "Son, get the door and tell them your mother and I aren't here." Some people, on the other hand, see the charity that I represent and instantly open the door. (Unfortunately, I can't disclose the charity I work for, as I need to ensure that my views are not misinterpreted as the views of that charity as a whole.)

So which one are you? And when it's all done and dusted and we ask, so are you in? Do you think.... **** off?

Do you work long hours? I am thinking of doing something like this because being in the dole and doing nothing all day is killing me. Would you earn much weekly?

Personally I don't mind people who knock but am already signed up for enough while not working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

AryaStark wrote: »
    Do you work long hours? I am thinking of doing something like this because being in the dole and doing nothing all day is killing me. Would you earn much weekly?

Personally I don't mind people who knock but am already signed up for enough while not working!!!

I went ahead and PM'd you some details to try keep the thread on topic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Asarlai wrote: »
    Although not exactly a door-to-door salesman, I did once work delivering pizza when I first moved to the US. It was very interesting. Several times, the person ordering opened the door in the nude and invited me 'for a slice'....:D

My husband worked as a pizza delivery boy in New Zealand years ago. He regularly got offered weed as payment for the pizza, or got invited in to get high with people. I guess stoners really like pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah,

*avoids thread and contact with OP*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Electric gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Feck off annoying me at home. its the one place a person should be able to go without being disturbed by other people or things.

also feck off trying to stop me in my path on the street. I'm clearly doing something/needing to be somewhere/working etc and your not helping me achieve that*

*people doing work for charities on street may have gotten a piece of my mind recently regarding this. They were shocked at what i said because they knew they done goofed. (walking through the city in work uniform going somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Quainy, though you've only posted a handful of times in this thread you do come across as being a positive, up-beat individual. You say you like what you do, that you gain a feeling of satisfaction when you sign someone up to your charity, and you feel that you're helping in some way. This all comes across clearly, and in general I would say job satisfaction is important.

I've no doubt that you're courteous in your dealings with the public, and I'd like to believe that you don't stoop to some of the "guilting" tactics that some of us are used to from charity employees. That said, can you genuinely not see where the majority of the posters in this thread are coming from?

Can you not see how intrusive your line of work is? What does it matter if we're the "I'm not in" type, or the "slam the door" type. You're on our property, you're disturbing us during anti-social hours, probably during a time when we're sitting down to dinner, or relaxing after a day's work, or trying to get the kids to bed. It's not wrong for us to want to ignore you. It's our prerogative.

Personally, I am almost always suspicious of people in your line of work. It angers me to see the elderly (in particular) being taken advantage of by pushy salesmen who sign up those who might not have the capacity to say no. I'd wager those of pensionable age are the bread and butter of your trade.

And let's call a spade a spade here; you're not saving the world. You're doing a job and you're getting paid for it. Like I said, job satisfaction is a nice perk of any position, but you're not just doing this out of the good of your heart. You're doing it to get paid. EDIT: That doesn't make you superior to the volunteers, be they fair-weather contributors or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't get many of them, maybe three a year, but it's gotta be tough and I'd say it's easier to be on the dole.

But it's hard for the internet imaginary tough men with their imaginary guns and imaginary crosshairs mounted on their imaginary telescopic sights of their imaginary guns living in their parents home to realise this.

I'd endeavor to be polite and respectful. Fair play for giving it a shot, getting up off your arses and gaining some real world experiences, it will probably do you well in the future.

As for the "subhuman scum" comments? Well... obvious issues, say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Same answer as IRL - Feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I wouldn't cold call to peoples homes and expect to do business (talk money )with them, and I expect the same and refuse to do so.

Am never rude though, it's a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tis a tough gig to have. Generally a simple "no thanks" save a waste of both my and their time

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Quainy, though you've only posted a handful of times in this thread you do come across as being a positive, up-beat individual. You say you like what you do, that you gain a feeling of satisfaction when you sign someone up to your charity, and you feel that you're helping in some way. This all comes across clearly, and in general I would say job satisfaction is important.

I've no doubt that you're courteous in your dealings with the public, and I'd like to believe that you don't stoop to some of the "guilting" tactics that some of us are used to from charity employees. That said, can you genuinely not see where the majority of the posters in this thread are coming from?

Can you not see how intrusive your line of work is? What does it matter if we're the "I'm not in" type, or the "slam the door" type. You're on our property, you're disturbing us during anti-social hours, probably during a time when we're sitting down to dinner, or relaxing after a day's work, or trying to get the kids to bed. It's not wrong for us to want to ignore you. It's our prerogative.

Personally, I am almost always suspicious of people in your line of work. It angers me to see the elderly (in particular) being taken advantage of by pushy salesmen who sign up those who might not have the capacity to say no. I'd wager those of pensionable age are the bread and butter of your trade.

And let's call a spade a spade here; you're not saving the world. You're doing a job and you're getting paid for it. Like I said, job satisfaction is a nice perk of any position, but you're not just doing this out of the good of your heart. You're doing it to get paid. EDIT: That doesn't make you superior to the volunteers, be they fair-weather contributors or not.

You know, you spoke to me with a great deal of respect there, so much so that I want to reply to your post in full. First off, thank you for the compliments, I pride myself in the fact that I have a bubbly personality and that I was brought up by my grandfather who had served in the military, so I would certainly never badger anyone. I was though manners and no means no, even in my line of work.

I can see where everyone is coming from, I genuinely do, hell, I reckon if I wasn't doing what I am doing for a living then I would be of the same mindset. I just think that I can never truly see through a person's eyes without being in their position, so this thread was a sort of way for me to see it from the point of view of you guys.

It's an extremely intrusive line of work and in that sense, I feel genuinely bad, when I call to a door, I can tell, just by the look a person gives me. If I see that "Don't ever darken my doorway again" look, I simply smile and tell them to have a nice evening and that I am sorry for interrupting their day. You guys can be busy, that's not unimaginable, and I don't expect you to drop it for me. Never in a million years would I expect that.

Everyone is suspicious of people that do what I do, and for good right. Do you know how ill I feel when I hear of people with no actual charity number scamming people and letting them believe they're helping but really just taking everything? I think its vile.

Actually, I don't like to call on pensioners, I have grand parents and I know how nice they are so I won't bother anyone of their age, it's just a thing that I can't do. I'm teased about it in the office and some days when I don't reach targets, they say "should have signed the elderly woman at the top of the road". I imagine and understand that majority of people in my trade do focus on this group of people as their target audience, however, I can't.

Yes, you're right, it is my job, it is how I earn a living, if that's what you want to call it. I'm not well payed, and I'm far from rich, but I get by. I do feel that maybe, just maybe that last guy could help. That's my motivation when I'm being ****ed on in December. However, I do understand it. Nope, I know that I'm not superior to volunteers, in fact, they are superior to me, taking time from their free time to do it. I am only saying that although those volunteers are lovely and a great asset, the fact of the matter is simply that somebody doing it five days a week and fifty two weeks a year will just have signed more for the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I don't get many of them, maybe three a year, but it's gotta be tough and I'd say it's easier to be on the dole.

But it's hard for the internet imaginary tough men with their imaginary guns and imaginary crosshairs mounted on their imaginary telescopic sights of their imaginary guns living in their parents home to realise this.

I'd endeavor to be polite and respectful. Fair play for giving it a shot, getting up off your arses and gaining some real world experiences, it will probably do you well in the future.

As for the "subhuman scum" comments? Well... obvious issues, say no more.

You only get three calls a year. I promise you you'd get pretty bored of being polite and respectful when one of these fukkers comes a-knockin' every other week. It's been a long time since I let one of them get to the end of their opening sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I have non I problem with sales men as long as they take no for an answer when I don't want to buy what they are selling. It's when they keep talking and don't let you get a word in edgeway's that gets me

The only people I like a my door are family and friends. Get thee away DTD people.

Really annoys me when some random person calls and wants to sell me something.
    Fook right off, have the internet, thanks If I'm in the market for something, I know where to look.

Yes, I know you have a living to make. So Im usually polite, but if ye dont get the hint within,,hmmm lets say 1 min, then the door gets slammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer, or might be the few euro used to save a homeless man from the bitter cold this January.

I want to know, how do you guys see us?

You are utterly self-deluded with your crap about curing cancer and saving the homeless.

The only people who do your job for more than a day or two out of sheer desperation, are ones who not give a **** about anyone other than themselves.

I pity you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I think a much more successful option to bothering people at their homes in the evenings, where they usually won't want to be bothered and end up being rude to you, would be to approach them in the work place during the time they're actually approachable for business and, to be honest, a lot of people will enjoy it as a tiny break/distraction from work for a couple of minutes.

If you got permission to go around a few civil service offices if there are any in your area where there are ~500 employees I'd say you'd get a lot more donations in one week than you would by doing the usual door to door at homes in the evening. In a lot of office environments as well they're layed out in groups at their cubicles so if you got one person in the group to donate I'm sure the rest will usually follow since they'll feel pressured to not be seen as a greedy bitch or bastard by their peers.

You are utterly self-deluded with your crap about curing cancer and saving the homeless.

The only people who do your job for more than a day or two out of sheer desperation, are ones who not give a **** about anyone other than themselves.

I pity you.

My opinion and yours differ unfortunately.

There are people who have been at it a long time and most of them are pretty horrible people, you wouldn't tar all Irish people with one stereotype or opinion, kindly, don't do the same to people in my profession :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

My opinion and yours differ unfortunately.

There are people who have been at it a long time and most of them are pretty horrible people, you wouldn't tar all Irish people with one stereotype or opinion, kindly, don't do the same to people in my profession :)

Well there's something we can agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If you're a good sales person, and I mean genuinely good rather than a pest, you don't need to be cold calling door-to-door. Depending on how good you could be in a nice office somewhere or selling Airbuses.

If you want to do some charity work on the side, you'd be doing way more good IMHO.

I'd simply tell you 'No thanks, probably before you've even started' and if you respect that then fair enough, personally though I think the practise should be banned.

Unless you're this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I live in the arse end of nowhere and get 0 sales people calling... I do however get GAA clubs from anywhere between 50 and 100 miles from me trying to sell me tickets for draws to win cars. They annoy the living ****e out of me.

I'll support what ever clubs my kids end up with, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Incoming wall of text.
    You know, you spoke to me with a great deal of respect there, so much so that I want to reply to your post in full. First off, thank you for the compliments, I pride myself in the fact that I have a bubbly personality and that I was brought up by my grandfather who had served in the military, so I would certainly never badger anyone. I was though manners and no means no, even in my line of work.

You're very welcome. I always find a mannerly and respectful approach to most things reaps the most rewards.
    I can see where everyone is coming from, I genuinely do, hell, I reckon if I wasn't doing what I am doing for a living then I would be of the same mindset. I just think that I can never truly see through a person's eyes without being in their position, so this thread was a sort of way for me to see it from the point of view of you guys.

Empathy and self-awareness are two extremely useful qualities to have, and no doubt they help you in many aspects of your life, including your work. Please be aware though that the majority of people here have had extremely negative experiences with door to door charity salesmen, and while you may be the exception to the general rule, you are not likely to change their perception. Empathetic or no, as people we're most likely to base our opinions on our own personal experiences.
    It's an extremely intrusive line of work and in that sense, I feel genuinely bad, when I call to a door, I can tell, just by the look a person gives me. If I see that "Don't ever darken my doorway again" look, I simply smile and tell them to have a nice evening and that I am sorry for interrupting their day. You guys can be busy, that's not unimaginable, and I don't expect you to drop it for me. Never in a million years would I expect that.

Well, that's a refreshing attitude to have. If I'm honest, I don't think I've ever had someone in your line of work apologise for interrupting me. At least, not genuinely.
    Everyone is suspicious of people that do what I do, and for good right. Do you know how ill I feel when I hear of people with no actual charity number scamming people and letting them believe they're helping but really just taking everything? I think its vile.

Actually, I don't like to call on pensioners, I have grand parents and I know how nice they are so I won't bother anyone of their age, it's just a thing that I can't do. I'm teased about it in the office and some days when I don't reach targets, they say "should have signed the elderly woman at the top of the road". I imagine and understand that majority of people in my trade do focus on this group of people as their target audience, however, I can't.

Again, even by your own admission, you're an exception to the norm. Elderly people are a very easy target, yes. My own grandmother was targetted by a door to door charity salesman during the early onset of her dimentia. She was cleaned out before we realised what was going on. It's sharp practices like this that can seriously colour common perception. I know it has coloured mine.
    Yes, you're right, it is my job, it is how I earn a living, if that's what you want to call it. I'm not well payed, and I'm far from rich, but I get by. I do feel that maybe, just maybe that last guy could help. That's my motivation when I'm being ****ed on in December. However, I do understand it. Nope, I know that I'm not superior to volunteers, in fact, they are superior to me, taking time from their free time to do it. I am only saying that although those volunteers are lovely and a great asset, the fact of the matter is simply that somebody doing it five days a week and fifty two weeks a year will just have signed more for the charity.

I can certainly concede that your method of collection is more than likely the most effective. It's hard not to be cynical though, considering how these charities are run and the sometimes complete lack of transparency into how much money donated actually reaches the donor's intended destination.

I've no doubt it's a really tough job, with really tough days. I always imagined it would take a certain type of person to do such a job, and it's not something I could ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The sincere ones give up easily and are happy to chat. Rude ones will pester and pester until they feel like you're wasting their time. Did it myself briefly and have a lot of sympathy for door-to-door salespeople. Nobody ever wants to do it but have to for various reasons. Some weeks you might earn less than €50, another week barely scrape past dole income in your commission and the week after that you might have an amazing run of luck. If nothing else they deserve a polite rejection even if it's just to apologise and close the door on them. That said even if salespeople seem nice any company still employing it as a selling tactic are super dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I live in an apartment, so someone would have to buzz you in. But nobody would buzz you in. So, in summation, I don't see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

fryup wrote: »
    i did door to door sales for one day

selling frozen fish...every second house slammed the door in my face

utterly soul destroying :( you need gater skin for it

I think you mean sole destroying... I'll get my coat. It has probably already been done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I hate people who intrude on my private family time in the evenings. There simply is no right moment, I'm either doing Mum stuff, or work stuff (my day job also involves work at home), or enjoying not doing those. I resent any one who breaks into my cocoon, unless it's planned, friends or family (although I also like to know they might call).

If I'm in a position to help a charity, I seek it out online. Same for purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Sometimes I just sit and don't answer the door. They come every few days and I'm just sick of them at this stage.
    One time these two guys would give it up though, must have stood there ringing the bell for a few minutes.

And door-to-door salespeople wonder why people don't like them..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If you get door to door salespeople to your home how do you feel OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I have no time for D2D sales, Chuggers etc. What is it about the word no ye don't understand

If I wanted your product I would have gone out and purchased it myself without your help.
    If I was arsed about whatever charity you represent I would already support it.
    If its such a great offer, it would sell itself. So why are you here bothering me at home?.
    So what if all my neighbors are buying it/ signing up to it ?
    Why do you feel the need to stand on my doorstep and try and bull**** me?

Advertisement