Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door salesmen, how do you see us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I hope you don't do the whole joke of asking people if they've got 50k/100k/1 million hiding down the back of their couch....I get that every single time I answer the feckin' door to a charity worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

How do I see you?

Usually running out my driveway being chased by the Doberman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

quainy wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer,

May as well rid yourself of that idea. "Cancer" is not one disease which will one day find a magical cure. It's a collective term for a very large number (800+, I believe) of diseases of cell mutation, some very complex and all requiring different treatments in differing forms, and thinking there's one day going to be a magical, one-pill-cures-all miracle elixir is kidding yourself and the poor suckers to whom you're flogging this myth.

As for how I see you, I can't stand cold callers and have a plaque on my door stating as much. No junk mail and no junk callers, tyvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

An animal charity chugger called to the door, I listened to them (two girls) because I do like to help animal charities. They talked about all the good work the charity do, both claimed they help out at the actual shelter all the time telling me about the dogs and how my contribution will help etc.

As they were getting the papers to sign me up my black Labrador and my staffy mix came over to say hello behind the glass door. (Note they're Teddy Bears, the Labrador is a fully recognised irish therapy dog and the staffy mix is 13 years old and not a bad bone in her body)

Well didn't they loose their shîte, two of them visible froze up and asked could I remove the dogs. (Dogs were behind the glass door the separated the front door to the house.)

I asked were they serious. Not 2 mins ago was one of them telling me how they walk the dogs and everything.

One completely broke the sales woman character and almost had a melt down.

"She's terrified of dogs"

Me :confused: you're collecting for an animal charity who deals solely with dogs?

They got nothing from me, and it really tainted my opinions of chuggers, people only pretending that they care when they don't.
    These girls who were willing to lie through their teeth just to get money out of me it was absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

because of what the owners of the charities earn every year

This is the reason why I refuse to donate a penny to certain charities.

Recently it was explained to me that a vaccine would cost 7c and that would save a child from a disease. If you do the maths and divide 7c by lets say reducing the CEO's wage by €150,000 you get 2.143 million children that would have been saved straight away if the owner decided to take a responsible wage.

Why would I want to become partly responsible for perpetuating system that denies children help due to money being leached away from a charity. Also how many top brass are on ridiculous wages besides the CEO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I like to answer the door straight out the shower, still dripping. tell you not to be shy drink it down. just don't rot your pupils on all that sweet sweet eye candy.

You may say nervously, "I seem to have caught you at a bad time" , to which I say "no, that was 10 minutes before my shower". I see a lump form in your throat, you're confused and aroused. like a lesser stag acknowledging his place in mother nature, you back away .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

For me the fact that I'm talking to a paid salesman puts me right off and reminds me how corporate and fat cat laiden charities have become and I do find myself wondering how charities who are so desperately in need of money can employ enough sales people to regularly disturb me. It reminds me that my donation might just be paying the salary of yourself or a marketing team somewhere.
    If someone from my neighbourhood who I recognise was volunteering their time came with the same patter I would be more likely to donate in that situation.

I am always curious as to what sort of people say "you know what, your speech here at the door has convinced me, let me just get my credit card /bank details".
    Is there a particular sort of person who signs up with you OP?
    I think it's a little mad to give your bank details to someone with a clipboard at the door to start with. Just who takes that leap of faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Door to Door sales men are, well ... rather foolish.
    You are the front line employee for the company. The worker Ant. Your job is to go out in rain, sleet or snow and get some sales. But the kicker is if your sales are bad recently, well down the road jack.

Doesnt matter if you sold 2,000 units/subscriptions/whatever in your history with the company. You're only as good as your last sales quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

/locks thread on OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

mixed feelings. they're working and must have to put up with a lot.

the whole friendly psychological manipulation sales thing, the see through charade of the open questions and having me hold a list of offers however that pisses me right off.
    why not just openly insult my intelligence and tell me to smell the chloroform rag. Id give more time to some guy who just said - give this crowd your money so I can get a 50 cent bonus would ya. But hey understandable.

live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

One such fella knocked at my door looking for me to sign up to a charity and I stopped him in his tracks politely and said ''I wont be giving out any bank details at my door so if this is heading that way, I'm just letting you know''. He was disgusted and said but it's only such and such a week and asked if I drink and tried to equate the price of a pint to the donation. I said I do drink the odd time but I also worked Christmas Day this year and do 12 hour shifts every time i go to work, so forgive me if I have a catch up with mates the odd time. He then got all defensive and start showing me figures on his iPad. ''For just 85cent a da...'' Hold on, I said. You have the nerve to call to my door and challenge me and yet here you are with a god damn tablet? Touch on!

I do help charities but it's on my time and when I want to and for causes that I choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I feel sorry for you guys. It's a sh1t job but fair play to you for doing it.

I think sometimes timing could be better. There are probably a set number of calls you are expected to make, but I don't think disturbing people when they are having dinner or later in the evening sets things off on the right foot. Therefore your time window is quite narrow for getting your calls in.

Personally, I always cut them off because I'm never going to give my bank details to someone in person, we have our preferred charities we support and we're happy with our utility suppliers - so to save you wasting your time and get you on to your next call quicker, I just say 'no thanks' and politely explain that we're not interested.

The smart reps usually say a 'thanks' and move on, the less smart ones persist, which will just lead to a firmer 'no thanks' - the idiots who get aggressive get told to 'get off my lawn.'

Good luck with it, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just wondering OP - do you support the charity you work for financially yourself? Direct Debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

We lived in a house in clane , kildare before. I swear to god it was like ground zero for these folk. Felt like every bleeding day somebody would knock. Airtricity were the worst, they would send someone every 2 weeks at one point, trying to get us to switch to them. We were already bleeding with them!!!!!!

We now live in the sticks, with electric gates . Not been bothered by one person in the past year since we moved.

Do the failed sales people end up as chuggers on Henry street. Now they are the absolute worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

They should all be made walk the street having rotten food thrown at them and then be crucified on the top of Croagh Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I have a little sign inside my porch window reading 'we don't buy or give financial details at the door' which seems to weed most callers out.

The ones I have the least time for are those that say they're not selling anything and then go on and try to sell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

petrolcan wrote: »
    I have a little sign inside my porch window reading 'we don't buy or give financial details at the door' which seems to weed most callers out.

My sign says "Bell is broken, like your nose will be if you try ring it"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

This Cold Calling should be illegal.

It opens the door to undesirable people coming to your door.

Their motives can be unknown and they can intimidate older people.

They may be just checking out properties to thieve from later.

The Gardai have enough to be doing than sifting through which are genuine (how many) and which are scumbags

They are generally selling(or collecting for dodgy charities) stuff that people are not interested in.

There is absolutely no need for cold callers in this day and age.

They should be absolutely no interaction with cold callers to discourage them and to Protect older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

To be honest, I would never get any bank account details to anyone at the door - no matter who they are. That could be the Gardai, Revenue Commissions or the pope/president himself. Why you think I would give them to a random salesperson is beyond me !

As a family, we give two 'reasonable' charitable donations a year. We never give anything outside this, unless it is a local school child on the road doing a sponsored walk or something similar.

What I find amazing is every time we tell this to the reps at the door (and we get a considerable amount of them), about 50% try to convince us that they are different and we should sign up for them straight away. However, when I ask them for a small leaflet stating their objectives, their immediate goals and what percentage of funds provided are left after all expenses, I have yet to be provided with one. Its always - "you can trust us, we are different" statements. They usually cannot even give us a 'business card' with a charity name and website details. *There was one exception to this which was John of Gods!

If your charity wishes to get a donation from me, you need to have some sort of leaflet (or at least business card with a website that provides the above detail easily) with this detail on it that can be provided so I will remember you when we are making our family decision. It might not lead to commission to the sales person directly, but it could benefit the charity you represent.

Please note, given the recent 'scandals' relating to certain actions of certain charities, we tend to give physical goods rather than money [although to the same value] - for example the Lions Food Appeal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tzardine wrote: »

Do the failed sales people end up as chuggers on Henry street. Now they are the absolute worst.

I refuse on principle to give to any charity that uses chuggers, no matter how worthy the cause!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

At the end of the day these people are just doing a job, like the rest of us, and there is absolutely no call for aggression and rudeness when they call.

It's really not that hard to politely tell them you're not interested etc. Calling it intimidating and intrusive is over the top tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

At the end of the day these people are just doing a job, like the rest of us, and there is absolutely no call for aggression and rudeness when they call.

It's really not that hard to politely tell them you're not interested etc. Calling it intimidating and intrusive is over the top tbh.

How about when they're being intimidating and intrusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I would never be rude or aggressive but I can't stand charity "sales" people. They shouldn't need to employ people to "sell" the charity. If people are aware of the campaign and they have volunteers then the charity will work. Sometimes it doesn't, but if people like the cause they're going to donate whether they hear about it through an ad or a seller.

All I can ever think when I see these people is how much of my donation needs to be used to pay them.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I've had trouble with 2 services I've bought from door to door salesmen.
    For that reason I never entertain another, your predecessors have blackened your name.

My refrain is "sorry, I don't buy anything from door to door sellers" then I politely close the door.
    Some of the more aggressive ones will throw out a line they were fed at their last workshops but as I've said my piece I feel entitled to close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭elefant

While I was studying abroad I did some call-centre work to keep a roof over my head. I wasn't selling anything, just asking survey questions for marketing purposes three evenings a week, but I would have rather have done anything else to pay my rent. I hated annoying people with that rubbish, even though I wasn't asking for bank details or anything (which I believe was the only reason the 'random digit dialing' was permitted by law).

At the same time, I was actually very pleasantly surprised how nice almost every Irish person I called was (I usually just called Ireland, and sometimes the UK). I was amazed how many people (a few each week) would take the time to spend 15-20 minutes of their time to answer questions about what television channels they watched and what magazines they read etc. Even when they didn't want to speak with me, I actually felt that most Irish people were too polite to just straight out say 'no', and just fobbed it off as being a bad time.

Calling to the UK was a different story completely. I got the feeling it is because getting cold-calls is more frequent there, but there was a startlingly frequent air of hostility about British people when calling.

I can only imagine how soul destroying cold-calling in person while looking for bank details would be. Actually makes me shudder to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm a door to door salesman. I like to think I'm a good one, in fact, I enjoy my job. Sure, I stand in the hurling rain, the sleet, the hail, but I sign people up that are willing to give monthly donations to charity. Some people slam what I do, because of what the owners of the charities earn every year and I understand that it can be frustrating, it's frustrating for us too.

The fact of the matter is that I enjoy working with charities, and the idea that the last person I signed up, might just provide the few euro that will be needed to finalise the cure for cancer, or might be the few euro used to save a homeless man from the bitter cold this January.

I want to know, how do you guys see us?

I know that some people see us coming and say "Son, get the door and tell them your mother and I aren't here." Some people, on the other hand, see the charity that I represent and instantly open the door. (Unfortunately, I can't disclose the charity I work for, as I need to ensure that my views are not misinterpreted as the views of that charity as a whole.)

So which one are you? And when it's all done and dusted and we ask, so are you in? Do you think.... **** off?
    Do you get the ride much from bored housewives/househusbands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i don't give the person any thought. i just say no thanks and all is fine:)

i only donate to two local organisations and they never collect at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We're always been told to be vigilant about entering bank details online and making sure the site is secure etc. but there never seems to be as much concern about giving out name,address and bank account numbers to a stranger either at your door or on the street. How secure is that? What happens if he leaves his bag on the bus or in the pub after a few pints? How compliant are they with Data Protection laws?

As well as the annoyance factor, these are reasons why I never ever engage with these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I feel sorry for d2d salespeople.

It must be pretty fcukin' horrible to regularly have to deal with doors being closed in your face, people being rude, and wandering around in crap weather.

However, one thing which really does my head in is how most of these companies have a rule that you don't accept a no answer unless it's said three times. Once should be enough!

I signed up to one contract from a d2d person, for bin collection. The guy didn't really have a clue what he was doing :pac: he told us it was his first day, and he was really obviously flustered. The terms and price they offered were better than who we'd been with, so we switched, and the new crowd are great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I don't answer the door to anybody I don't know and I will look out the window first. I don't try and hide this and if they see me I just shake my head with a polite smile.

If I want to sign up to something/ buy something / talk religion, I will do so in my own time and not on my doorstep. I get a few hours per day to spend with my wife and son and I sure as hell am not spending any of it trying to politely tell someone I am not interested... and I am not letting the heat out either, costs enough as it is without wasting it with an open door!

Advertisement