Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colbert Rail & Bus Station redevelopment

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted this on another thread and is worth posting here:

Full planning permission for Limerick's Colbert Station €16.8 million redevelopment a welcome boost (Bus Éireann)

1421148194_content_main.jpg

Phase One of works expected to get underway in Quarter 1 2015

1421148193_content_main.jpg

This has already been highlighted on boards but just released by Bus Éireann (see link).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

All very nice and shiny, better facilities are to be welcomed but if they really wanted to spend some cash to improve bus and coach services than using part of the railway alignment to build a busway to give quick access to the east/south and motorway ring would be a better spend, Limerick can be a real pain to get in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Vic_08 wrote: »
    All very nice and shiny, better facilities are to be welcomed but if they really wanted to spend some cash to improve bus and coach services than using part of the railway alignment to build a busway to give quick access to the east/south and motorway ring would be a better spend, Limerick can be a real pain to get in and out of.
    There is a ring road to the south of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mc Love wrote: »
    There is a ring road to the south of the city

He means providing a busway accessing that ring road from the bus station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Vic_08 wrote: »

It takes about 5 minutes to drive to the M7/M20/N18 interchange at Rosbrien via Careys Rd, Roxboro Rd and Childers Rd. Why whould they spend millions turning the rail alignment into a busway for no actual time improvement? Plus the Dublin bus picks up in UL, Kilmurray Logde and Annacotty so wouldn't be able to use such a busway.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

It takes about 5 minutes to drive to the M7/M20/N18 interchange at Rosbrien via Careys Rd, Roxboro Rd and Childers Rd. Why whould they spend millions turning the rail alignment into a busway for no actual time improvement? Plus the Dublin bus picks up in UL, Kilmurray Logde and Annacotty so wouldn't be able to use such a busway.

Buses go other places besides dublin.

It takes more than 5 minutes to out of Limerick on a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buses go other places besides dublin.

It takes more than 5 minutes to out of Limerick on a bus.

Any bus going to Cork goes the route I mentioned. It takes about 5 minutes. I know this because I drive it every evening at rush hour. I'm well aware that buses go places other than Dublin. Vic_08 specifically mentioned getting to the motorway via the disused rail line and that's what I was replying to. Most of these buses stop before leaving Limerick so can't go directly to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Any bus going to Cork goes the route I mentioned. It takes about 5 minutes. I know this because I drive it every evening at rush hour. I'm well aware that buses go places other than Dublin. Vic_08 specifically mentioned getting to the motorway via the disused rail line and that's what I was replying to. Most of these buses stop before leaving Limerick so can't go directly to the motorway.

I don't see the point either of a busway to the motorway.

But on the (non-Dublin) services I've taken out of limerick to Galway or to Clonmel (waterford route), the bus doesn't stop again in the city, but it doesn't go to directly to the motorway at the M20 interchange. Even for the Waterford bus you'd think it would be worth skipping up the motorway instead of continuing up the childers road.

Advertisement