Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog attacks on sheep !!

• 20-01-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

We had 2 dog attacks on sheep.. we lost about 25 lambs and 2 ewes in the attack and we had big vet bills.. we got the dogs and followed back to the owners house where they laid down at the front door covered in blood... the dogs were put down and guards were called.. the neighbour refuses to pay and we are moving to get him prosecuted for having dangerous dogs by the guards .... any information on looking for compensation would be appreciated !! Just want to spread the message to people about the dangers of loose dogs and the damage they can cause.. DO NOT OPEN IF EASILY UPSET !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In some cases house insurance will cover damage caused by pets outside the home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Sorry to hear about the attack, I know from unfortunate experience it can be very traumatic.
    We never had much difficulty getting compensation apart from one individual . We got our solicitor on the job and included every little item , down to payment for stress caused to flock owner etc etc. we got paid as this person hadn't a leg to stand on , just like the dog owner in your case, I'd say go for it and really lean on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have a camera on an out farm trained on a field where I'll be putting in lambs in March. I caught a couple of dogs in the field on camera a number of times recently and went to the owner who apologized and said he'd sort it out. The next week the dogs were back in the field. Went to the guards last week and they said all I can do is catch the dogs in the act and shoot them. Very little use to me on an out farm. Some owners just don't give a sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Turn off the camera, and deal with the situation........

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

arctictree wrote: »
    Went to the guards last week and they said all I can do is catch the dogs in the act and shoot them

If you go back to the owner and tell him politely what the guards said you might get some results...

edit: even if in practice you're not really be able to catch them in the act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Take a few pictures of the damage done and put them up on posters in the area. Put them up on here too. Some people are in denial about what their dogs are capable of. You know it is the dog I feel for in that situation (besides the attacked animals of course), their owners don't understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Have the dog owners refused to pay for the damage? If they have MAKE the guards take the case. It is a clear cut case of not having their dog under control & criminal damage which they have already admitted they are responsible for by putting the dogs down. The guards might try and pawn you off on the dog warden so of you can talk to them first to make sure your on steady ground.

An official visit from a guard with a court summons and the subsequent day in court sometimes has the desired effect

I have a camera on an out farm trained on a field where I'll be putting in lambs in March. I caught a couple of dogs in the field on camera a number of times recently and went to the owner who apologized and said he'd sort it out. The next week the dogs were back in the field. Went to the guards last week and they said all I can do is catch the dogs in the act and shoot them. Very little use to me on an out farm. Some owners just don't give a sh*t.

Is there any pattern to them showing up?
    Set time of day etc? I'd make it know to the local lads with guns any dog in that field you'd like them shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

ganmo wrote: »
    Have the dog owners refused to pay for the damage? If they have MAKE the guards take the case. It is a clear cut case of not having their dog under control & criminal damage which they have already admitted they are responsible for by putting the dogs down. The guards might try and pawn you off on the dog warden so of you can talk to them first to make sure your on steady ground.

An official visit from a guard with a court summons and the subsequent day in court sometimes has the desired effect

Its going to court alright.. we got the guards to take the case and have him prosecuted. Hopefully we might get some of the costs this way

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Its going to court alright.. we got the guards to take the case and have him prosecuted. Hopefully we might get some of the costs this way
    once solicitors/court become involved the costs build up very quickly, hopefully the dog owner will see this and pay up. Court cases take a long long time

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    once solicitors/court become involved the costs build up very quickly, hopefully the dog owner will see this and pay up. Court cases take a long long time

The judge might order them to pay up...but if they don't a trip to the small claims court with them having a conviction for what you're claiming it should be a shoe in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is there any pattern to them showing up?
    Set time of day etc? I'd make it know to the local lads with guns any dog in that field you'd like them shot

10:30am nearly every feckin day. Guards said they have to be actually worrying sheep when shot??!

10:30am nearly every feckin day. Guards said they have to be actually worrying sheep when shot??!
    guards here said shoot on sight on your land, thats what we did. They didnt have to be chasing the cattle-in our case- at the time they where being shot, the fact they where in the field where the cattle where was enough

define worrying sheep.
    the normal definition of it with us is 'if the farmer is worried the sheep are worried"
    if ya do shoot them in your field who can say they weren't running around after your sheep?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

if you do see them and shoot them in the field you could then go home and come back with a few sheep in the trailer. Then report it. Maybe you could hide the bodies if you thought it might take longer than a few hours to get the few sheep moved over in case anyone found them.

I suppose it's not very ethical, but a possible solution nonetheless.
    guards here said shoot on sight on your land, thats what we did. They didnt have to be chasing the cattle-in our case- at the time they where being shot, the fact they where in the field where the cattle where was enough

You should check that out. If it turns out to be correct you can shoot away. Leave them back to the neighbour and explain why do did what you did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

1986 Control of dogs Act.

" Worry or about to worry"

To me an unattended dog in a field of sheep is sailing perilously close to "about" to worry. Simply by being there, out of control, I'd suggest he was "about to worry"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

what type of dogs were they

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I'm a big dog lover but in a situation like this then I'd have no hesitation in shooting on sight. Especially when the owner has been warned. Had to put down the best sheep dog we ever had years ago for the same thing - was upset as hell having to do it but didn't regret it one bit.

If we saw stray dogs even in an empty field we'd shoot the dog

Roquentin wrote: »

2 Cross bred alsatians.. but there was 4 others in his yard

• Advertisement

This farmer is well used to court fame and so far refuses to pay for any damages

why does it matter what type of dog?

why does it matter what type of dog?

because it just does

because it just does
    was a jack russel that was chasing ours, fact is they shouldnt be, doesnt matter what breed they are.

While I'm more concerned about seeing bigger dogs the little ones can be ****s too.
    When I was young there was a pack attacking regularly, dad and neighbours kept picking off the bigger dogs but one terrier kept getting away...when they got the terrier the attacks stopped

was a jack russel that was chasing ours, fact is they shouldnt be, doesnt matter what breed they are.

i dont think dogs understand language, so telling him "dont chase the sheep rover" is kind of futile

i dont think dogs understand language, so telling him "dont chase the sheep rover" is kind of futile
    not getting into an arguement with you, the dogs should be kept under control at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The good news is that all dogs must be microchipped within a year.:)

The bad news is it probably won't be enforced:(

• Advertisement

Carazy wrote: »

8 dogs! must of been well used to the sound of guns

Advertisement