Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetherspoons

• 19-01-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

they were having a good look around the cottage recently. seemed very interested

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wherever Wetherspoons go, it'll be a go-to location and has the potential to reinvent an area by attracting footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know they're looking at Galway, will be interesting to see where they end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

for anyone that doesnt know the cottage shut shop on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Their business model is being hampered by the breweys here.

Guinness and Heineken not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

irishgeo wrote: »
    Guinness and Heineken not available.

That's a big positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Cottage is a bit small for their BM even if they gut it. Unless they get to use the field out back as well. Also it doesn't have a car park.
    I've been predicting the Warwick for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's a big positive.

I won't be darkening their door without Guiness, the craft swill that some of the establishments around town are getting away with selling is right down there with a lot of the puke sold in England.
    Cottage is a bit small for their BM even if they gut it. Unless they get to use the field out back as well. Also it doesn't have a car park.
    I've been predicting the Warwick for a while now.

The Warwick was supposedly sold (by private tender) over a year ago now, but there's no sign of anything happening there, so I doubt it.

My money would be on Bar Cuba/903/The Bently (or whatever the hell they're calling it lately).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    My money would be on Bar Cuba/903/The Bently (or whatever the hell they're calling it lately).

There is some pretty serious internal re-fitting going on it there.

I saw lads working on it before Christmas - it looked like they'd pulled everything out from what I could see when the door was open. Haven't seen 'em working since, but then I've not been in the city during the day so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maybe the lease for the Chip Inn is up again?

That Warwick sale didn't happen in the end.
    The Bentley and the Spanish Arch had crossed my mind as well but again the lack of car parks is a minus for JDW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

It won't be the Spanish Arch. My bet is the Bentley too.

I'm all for it as a bit of competition is what the city needs.

Not bothered about the lack of Guinness/Heineken. Much better beers out there to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Guinness is totally optional in my book where there are far better stouts available. Try Buried at Sea by the Galway Bay crowd. So much richer and nicer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That Warwick sale didn't happen in the end.
    The Bentley and the Spanish Arch had crossed my mind as well but again the lack of car parks is a minus for JDW.
    I know having carparks is part of their usual operation in the UK but neither their Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire locations have their own carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Did it? Shame...

• ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's a big positive.

Not for most people its not. Its unlikely I'd darken their door anyway bar going in to check the place out, without Guinness the chances of my custom further reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

There is some pretty serious internal re-fitting going on it there.

I saw lads working on it before Christmas - it looked like they'd pulled everything out from what I could see when the door was open. Haven't seen 'em working since, but then I've not been in the city during the day so much.

could that have possibly been liquidators taking out assests?
    it does seem like a good option for it.
    somewhere down woodquay maybe?
    there is also still empty places in salthill main street as well as Warwick,cottage etc.id say the bal would have been a good option but no longer available

be interesting to see how it develops

The Central and Stage Door are both for sale in Woodquay. Both a bit small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Central and Stage Door are both for sale in Woodquay. Both a bit small though.

Heard Muddy's/Stage Door is to reopen soon? But maybe as another NAMA money spinner in the interim?

Must be. Didn't think they were letting it out again though. Maybe it sold very recently. It's definitely better value wise than the Central to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm surprised.

I'd have thought that GBB were doing well.

The Salthouse seems a popular success.

Galway is an affluent city, with knowledgeable consumer who would drink the types of beer sold by GBB.

Now, why would GBB allow a competitor have their site?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    I know having carparks is part of their usual operation in the UK but neither their Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire locations have their own carparks.

The place they're taking over in Swords only has space for a few cars too, maybe 10-12 at most. Heard they were putting in accommodation too but were having problems with planning as it's a listed building.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

What's all this talk about car parks, I don't think I've ever seen a Wetherspoons in London that has a carpark. Not really something that goes hand in hand with drinking alcohol....

And surely the cottage/warwick are way too far out of the city? My money would be on Stage Door/Bentley, unless they made use of a non-pub building, although presume the conversion would add a lot onto the cost.

Mr O'B has heard talk of a restaurant going in to the former Stage Door. Not sure to what extent I trust the likely source of that talk though. But I don't think it would be an off the wall location, there are very few nice options that are close to the Town Hall.

And no, the Bently was not just receivers taking their goods. Lads in hard-hats, ripping out the guts of the place. Far more than a receiver would ever do, even the most vindictive don't bother ripping out walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

antoobrien wrote: »
    I won't be darkening their door without Guiness, the craft swill that some of the establishments around town are getting away with selling is right down there with a lot of the puke sold in England.
    Not for most people its not. Its unlikely I'd darken their door anyway bar going in to check the place out, without Guinness the chances of my custom further reduce.

I know they're not to everyones taste, particularly IPAs, but there are some very good craft beers available at the minute. You can get so much more flavour in your beers when you don't have to produce the same quantity that Diageo do.

I personally view Guinness as a fall back drink, i.e. if there are no good craft beers in a bar I'll have a Guinness.

even the most vindictive don't bother ripping out walls.

ehm Remember The House. It wasn't the receivers did that though.

Remember that golden age where it was possible to discuss anything pub related without these fart sniffing 'craft' beer dogmatists finding an opportunity to lord over everyone about whatever obscure lukewarm muck they decided is superior to what normal people drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Intifada wrote: »
    Remember that golden age where it was possible to discuss anything pub related without these fart sniffing 'craft' beer dogmatists finding an opportunity to lord over everyone about whatever obscure lukewarm muck they decided is superior to what normal people drink.

How right you are, Intifada. How right you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I find it ironic you post this in a thread that hasn't yet mentioned craft beer. Posts like this are just as annoying as those who have issues with drinkers of main stream beer.

Edit: I see craft beers were mentioned above. My apologies.

Osborne wrote: »
    I find it ironic you post this in a thread that hasn't yet mentioned craft beer. Posts like this are just as annoying as those who have issues with drinkers of main stream beer.

Edit: I see craft beers were mentioned above. My apologies.

No worries. Maybe you've had one too many Wizard's Kneecaps.

• Advertisement

ehm Remember The House. It wasn't the receivers did that though.

Ya, I saw inside the doors/windows there, too.

Sure they took toilet bowls. But they didn't rip walls and floors down to bare concrete. Whole different scale involved.

I remember coming to Ireland 8-ish years ago, and being dismayed by how difficult it was to find anything drinkable.

Guinness, Smithwicks or Bulmers were the standard offerings. Bud and Heinekin were still exotic. Harp was muck served to tourists.

Much has changed for the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement