Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Pope came to Ireland, would you go to see him?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Seen today that Pope Francis held a mass in Manila that was attended by 6 million people :eek:

Nearly 2 million people visited John Paul when he came in 1979. Given that there is a bigger population in Ireland now but different views on religion, would there be a similar turnout?

Would you go to see the Pope? 401 votes

Yeah I'm a devoted Catholic
    0% 0 votes
    Too see a owld lad in a big hat? Naaahh
    16% 67 votes
    Yeah, only for a big session
    70% 284 votes
    Might watch it on the tele, if theres nothing else on.
    12% 50 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Personally, I wouldn't. Not that I have anything against the man (he seems to be a decent person), but I'm not religious and I'd have no interest really. Would be like Sunday Mass crossed with a concert with all the crowds and stuff.

deadybai wrote: »
    Seen today that Pope Francis held a mass in Manila that was attended by 6 million people :eek:

Nearly 2 million people visited John Paul when he came in 1979. Given that there is a bigger population in Ireland now but different views on religion, would there be a similar turnout?

You wouldn't get half that visiting him in this day and age. Maybe the protesters would bump up the numbers a bit.

I wouldn't go see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Yes I would, front row with my little Papal flag also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭n32

yep i would

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Definetely. I would be there and I think there would be huge numbers to see him weather they admit it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I went to Rome, would the Pope come to see me?

If I went to Rome, would the Pope come to see me?

You're not as highly regarded and esteemed as his holiness though, it's quite rude and abnoxious to consider that you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He'd sell less tickets than Garth Brooks, but he'd probably show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was dragged to see the Pope in '79. No, I wouldn't go to see another pope if they came to Ireland. Think of how much could have been achieved in rebuilding the damaged properties and lives in the Philippines if the money his visit cost had been donated in lieu of a papal visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Couldn't see it happening anytime soon due to the slap in the face Kenny and co. gave the Vatican.But yes I would go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Definetely. I would be there and I think there would be huge numbers to see him weather they admit it or not.

Why would people not admit it if they intended to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I probably would, as this man seems to be the right stuff. But it would depend on where he was in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

No,unless his boss showed up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Yup and I'm not remotely religious but it'd be good say I'd seen him besides he seems an ok guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Depends on the weather for me really. I don't fancy hanging out in the phoenix park in the rain and cold but if he was down the pub on a cold night and there was a nice warm fire blazing then that's a different story. Freezing here at the moment so that might be influencing my though process slightly. Over all a yes but I hate crowds where people don't queue correctly and 2m of a crowd sounds like a nightmare to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Unless I actually got to meet him personally, I wouldn't actually go just to say I got crushed in the crowds.

I'd sooner just stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

No. I'm not religious. I have no interest in listening to what he has to say, it has no impact or relevance to my life whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I can't think of any one person on the planet I would stand around waiting to catch a glimpse of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Why would people not admit it if they intended to go?

Because they couldn't be arsed anymore listening to the sh1te and abuse they would receive for having a religious belief.Follow this thread and you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I dont think I could be arsed going to see Jesus if he made a second coming, never mind the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

If only to see all the idiot sky fairy believing nut jobs line up to recite repetitive chants about their devotion to an invisible non existent being who is master of a notorious peadophile ring.

Actually that sounds properly dangerous. Maybe not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Nope, no interest at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I wouldn't go if jesus came never mind the pope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You're not as highly regarded and esteemed as his holiness though, it's quite rude and abnoxious to consider that you are
    Says you!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I went to St Peters Square to see him, great craic so it was, him whizzing around in the Pope mobile and then talking for a while about things. My Ma loved it too. Grand fella so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

His Philippines trip was a bit of a disaster.
    A plane crashed on the runway,a girl was killed by a scaffold pole,it pissed rain and his hat blew away.

If only to see all the idiot sky fairy believing nut jobs line up to recite repetitive chants about their devotion to an invisible non existent being who is master of a notorious peadophile ring.

Actually that sounds properly dangerous. Maybe not.

That's a gas one, if that was post about any other major religion we would have the usual "think of the childern" crowd bashing it and banning of the poster and a nice little post from a mod. But it's about the RCC, so that's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

No, I'd feel like a giant hypocrite if I went, because I'm in no way a practicing Catholic. I do like the new pope though, seems more open and accepting of the gay community which is great to see.

Can't see the whole country turning out for a visit like we did when Pope John Paul II was here years ago, it was a different country then, we were a bit more brain washed over the Catholic mumbo jumbo, nobody was working, most had nothing better to be doing, may as well go see the Pope haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Doesn't interest me in the slightest. Won't see me going out of my way to meet him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Biased Poll much OP?

Advertisement