Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help connecting Hitachi SmartTV to wifi

Options
  • 11-01-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everybody,

I have just bought the Hitachi 50HYT62U SmartTV from Argos and I’m looking for help as I’m having some issues connecting it to my Wi-Fi.

Let me say first that I’m with Eircom, and my router is one of the old Netopia ones.

The thing is if I run an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV, internet works fine. The problem is when I try to connect the TV to my wireless network.

As described in the user manual, I get the TV to perform a search for wireless networks and it does find mine (SSID is not hidden). I then proceed to enter my password when prompted to do so, press OK, but as much as I try, it won’t connect.

To make it even more puzzling, sometimes I get messages coming up on screen telling me that the wifi dongle is disconnected and then 4 seconds later says it is connected, and this goes on for about 5 minutes until it finally stops. Funny thing is I have not connected any wifi dongle to the TV. What's more, I have checked it with Argos and they have confirmed that this model doesn’t need any USB dongle, as it comes with a built-in wifi receiver.

My wifi network is absolutely fine as I have other devices connected to it all around the house (laptops, a desktop, smartphones…). In fact, my own laptop shows full connectivity (full bars) in the same room where the TV is located. So that seems to rule out a weak signal problem.

Furthermore, the TV itself is placed only 5 or 6 meters away from the router and there aren’t any solid objects (walls, furniture, etc.) between them.

I’ve tried all the usual troubleshooting (factory reset, turn router off and back on, password reset, try to move router around a bit, etc) but to no avail.

I’m sort of at a loss at where to go from here. Has anyone got any ideas / suggestions?

Could it be that built-in wifi receiver is not working properly??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Hi everybody,

I have just bought the Hitachi 50HYT62U SmartTV from Argos and I’m looking for help as I’m having some issues connecting it to my Wi-Fi.

Let me say first that I’m with Eircom, and my router is one of the old Netopia ones.

The thing is if I run an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV, internet works fine. The problem is when I try to connect the TV to my wireless network.

As described in the user manual, I get the TV to perform a search for wireless networks and it does find mine (SSID is not hidden). I then proceed to enter my password when prompted to do so, press OK, but as much as I try, it won’t connect.

To make it even more puzzling, sometimes I get messages coming up on screen telling me that the wifi dongle is disconnected and then 4 seconds later says it is connected, and this goes on for about 5 minutes until it finally stops. Funny thing is I have not connected any wifi dongle to the TV. What's more, I have checked it with Argos and they have confirmed that this model doesn’t need any USB dongle, as it comes with a built-in wifi receiver.

My wifi network is absolutely fine as I have other devices connected to it all around the house (laptops, a desktop, smartphones…). In fact, my own laptop shows full connectivity (full bars) in the same room where the TV is located. So that seems to rule out a weak signal problem.

Furthermore, the TV itself is placed only 5 or 6 meters away from the router and there aren’t any solid objects (walls, furniture, etc.) between them.

I’ve tried all the usual troubleshooting (factory reset, turn router off and back on, password reset, try to move router around a bit, etc) but to no avail.

I’m sort of at a loss at where to go from here. Has anyone got any ideas / suggestions?

Could it be that built-in wifi receiver is not working properly??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

The USB "disconnect" is worrying, it does sound like the WiFi module is faulty. The other thing might be the encryption: old netopia where wep 128 encryption , the TV my not support that. Maybe change it to wepa - aes see if it connects to that

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Doctor Grijandermor

Hi akaSol,

many thanks for your reply!!

Apologies, been away during the week and I couldn’t check the router. I did yesterday though and the security is set to WPA-2. The Eircom guys were in the house a couple of years ago doing a re-cabling job and they must have changed the encryption settings back then.

I also noticed yesterday that the messages coming up on screen about “dongle disconnected” and “connected” have increased in frequency, i.e., now this happens at least once every minute. It's impossible to watch TV.

Before I went away last weekend I did send an email to Hitachi, but they haven’t replied to it. I don’t think they have a manufacturing or customer service infrastructure in this country. Any ideas on how can I get a hold of them?

Would I be better off trying to get Argos to replace the faulty WiFi module?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Hi akaSol,

many thanks for your reply!!

Apologies, been away during the week and I couldn’t check the router. I did yesterday though and the security is set to WPA-2. The Eircom guys were in the house a couple of years ago doing a re-cabling job and they must have changed the encryption settings back then.

I also noticed yesterday that the messages coming up on screen about “dongle disconnected” and “connected” have increased in frequency, i.e., now this happens at least once every minute. It's impossible to watch TV.

Before I went away last weekend I did send an email to Hitachi, but they haven’t replied to it. I don’t think they have a manufacturing or customer service infrastructure in this country. Any ideas on how can I get a hold of them?

Would I be better off trying to get Argos to replace the faulty WiFi module?

Thanks

Straight away!
    The module is definitely faulty with that repeated message. It's likely Hitachi have a UK service center ( as Argos are UK based)
    Oh, I ment to ask how new is "new"? Reason being their is a legal requirement for goods of a faulty nature ( ie 28 days ) given you might loose the TV to get repair.

>Sol

Hi akaSol,

Bought it just 3 weeks ago.

Went to Argos this morning and they agreed to exchange it for a new unit. Hopefully problem sorted!!

I just got home with my new TV. I’ll try to connect it to the wireless network later on. I’ll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carmic

Hi

I bought this TV in Argos last October and am having the same problem the last few weeks but didn't do anything bout it cos didn't need to watch Netflix etc until this week! Now the wifi had been working perfectly up to recently and now its flashing wifi dongle removed / detected every few seconds ALL the time

Re-installing the wifi worked yesterday but not anymore - I hadn't a chance to send away the guarantee form to Hitachi as I couldn't find the serial number - will Argos still replace for me (I have the receipt) ?

• Advertisement

Hi carmic,

sorry I haven’t replied to you earlier, but I’ve been away for the last month.

Anyhow, I suppose that at this stage you already got the answer to your question, but I can tell you that in my case, the replacement unit I was given didn't even connect to my Wi-Fi, so I kinda gave up. I’ll try again over the next few days, see what happens.

Did you have better luck with yours?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I don't suppose any of you guys noticed that the TV is quite wobbly on the included stand?
    We have no desire to mount it but it seems a bit unstable?

Advertisement