Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help ps1

Options
  • 01-12-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

hi
    i purchase a scph 1002 ps1 a few weeks ago on amazon for £13 no cables or joypad add says working order i had some cables but just needed joypad i got a pad in rage yesterday, i powered up console just goes to memory screen dosent spin disc any ideas whats wrong :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Laser and/or drive motor burned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

Myrddin wrote: »
    Laser and/or drive motor burned out?

is it easy to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It would be less hassle (and probably cheaper) to just source another (working!) ps1.

raven999 wrote: »
    is it easy to fix

I'd agree with o1s1n, less hassle just to buy a working one. File a claim with Amazon if that's an option, as the seller may elect to send you another one that works

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hi
    i purchase a scph 1002 ps1 a few weeks ago on amazon for £13 no cables or joypad add says working order i had some cables but just needed joypad i got a pad in rage yesterday, i powered up console just goes to memory screen dosent spin disc any ideas whats wrong :mad:

Laser is burnt out more than likely. scph 1002 have awful lasers.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    It would be less hassle (and probably cheaper) to just source another (working!) ps1.

this is the audiophile ps1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

SCPH-1002 is the 'audophile' version and worth a lot more than £13 if working.

Changing the whole disc carrier/laser assembly is a simple job but finding a suitable replacement may be trickier.

SCPH-1002 is the 'audophile' version and worth a lot more than £13 if working.

What are they worth roughly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mmmonkey wrote:
    I however went with the easy option, and swapping out the laser with one from the redesigned PSone console. It’s quite nice that the last model PS1 has a suitable laser unit to donate to the first model PS1.

Sweet, I've two dead PSone's on storage

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    What are they worth roughly?

Depends on how big the audiofool is :D

Meh, wouldn't pay more then a 50% premium on a regular unit.

Master of the Universe

this is the audiophile ps1

There's a myth that the PS1 with aux phono jacks is worth money, it's really not. You can get them for about €20.

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's a myth that the PS1 with aux phono jacks is worth money, it's really not. You can get them for about €20.

It's easier to mod though, only 4 wires to solder instead of 7 :)

Master of the Universe

Excellent! Sure give it a bash and let us know how you get on with it.

PS1s are terrible for lasers suffering issues unfortunately :( would be nice to know you can drop a new one in.
    It's easier to mod though, only 4 wires to solder instead of 7 :)

Oh yeah, you modded my one didn't you? Excellent :D Can you go back in time and deliver it to my 15 year old self?

i have taken the top off ps1 and checked the laser its moving up and down but spindle is not spinning am going to order a new laser off ebay, i checked online other people are useing KSM-440BAM lasers to fix these scph1002 i be lucky to get it before xmas

It won't be a problem with the motor but with the laser itself.

finally got my new laser unit only took 4 weeks to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

finally got my new laser unit only took 4 weeks to arrive

Interesting. You got the whole replacement unit.

I was expecting just the "eye" part.

i will have to change over the casing

• Advertisement

Better off getting the whole drive otherwise you'd have to spend many a fun filled hour aligning the laser.

i have replaced the laser unit and the ps1 now plays music cds i dont have any games to try will see if i can find a demo the new laser unit was just over five pounds its a ksm-440bam its from the psone slim

tried ps1 with a game today works perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

great news, I remember how poor the first batch of PS1 were, I remeber renting them and they came with a note saying you had to turn them upside down in order to get some to work, when i bought my own one it developed a problem reading games and the only solution was to lift it about 45 degrees on one side, I sent it back and the one they game me was a slightly new model, lucky for me this one actually worked.

Master of the Universe

I was really jammy with my PS1. It was an early release model with the phono audio ports and never gave me a hint of trouble. Still runs 100% perfect to this day.

And I really played the hell out of that thing. Probably more than any console since.

i started to take apart the ps1 to get it ready to custom paint tonight and found the motherboard has a chip installed DSCF2059.JPG

Its modded to play backups then :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its modded to play backups then :)

Imports Bandit, Imports!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Imports Bandit, Imports!

thats good when i put it back together i will give it a try

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember having Pocket Fighter from Japan, adorable artwork, lovely game.
    Tons of inexpensive games to play on the PS, you need to buy yourself a copy of Einhander though, simply brilliant.

Advertisement