Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your professional ethics

Options

Comments

I really want to read the study that says breastfed babies are given immunity to HIV.

Puskii, how much spare milk do you think mothers in very challenging conditions in the developing world have spare to donate?

What about mothers that don't want to breast feed past the first few months or mothers who aren't around the baby all the time etc etc. Baby formula is a perfectly valid option for them to use. I never realised their were people so ridiculously opposed to baby formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

With all these sorts of dubious activities, isn't there nearly always an ethical argument to be made to actually be working in the research end of things, your improving a product or methodology that is vitally important to a certain amount of people, just because the end product might be abused or promoted to groups that do not require it doesn't change the fact that there is people that will have a real benefit from any improvements you make.

Personally my ethical limits would be anything that facilitates direct negative impacts on people, or sales I could never do sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

What about mothers that don't want to breast feed past the first few months or mothers who aren't around the baby all the time etc etc. Baby formula is a perfectly valid option for them to use. I never realised their were people so ridiculously opposed to baby formula.

The formula companies have imprinted on our brains that breast is best for babies until they are 6 months and then its time to move on!!

Mothers in my opinion are led to believe that if they breastfeed until 6 months which very little do anyway, the next step is formula. Yes the first 6 months of breastfeeding are the hardest but it does get easier!

I think most mothers would like to be around their babies all the time really. I know some mothers may not have the choice. I think this back to work 6 months business makes it very tough on mothers to continue breastfeeding and I think the government should address it.

Anyway back on topic, I would stand by my ethics and not work for a company that produces, advertises, promotes or supplies baby formula (Synthetic Milk Adaption) SMA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I don't think I could ever work as a lawyer or solicitor. Having to defend someone who from evidence was more than likely guilty would make me feel physically sick.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wouldn't work for a tobacco company or for any company with strong ties to any particular religion. I'd also prefer not to work for any company that was a major donor to the Tories in the UK or to the Republican party in the US.

pushkii wrote: »

Sorry Pushkii, you've linked to two pieces there. Can you point out where it says breastmilk makes babies immune to HIV?

You stated:
    There has been recent studies proving that mothers infected with HIV that breastfeed their babies deliver antibodies to their babies which in fact makes the baby immune from the disease.

You've linked to WHO guidelines on the use of ARVs and to a page on a HIV/AIDS information site that states in it's first paragraph that
    It is thought that 5-20 percent of babies infected through mother-to-child transmission aquire HIV infection via breastfeeding

I'm not seeing anything about breastmilk giving immunity to HIV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Candie wrote: »
    Formula is a necessary evil. Mothers in the developing world with a Hiv infection (and access to clean water) use formula to prevent breastmilk transmission. There are other valid health and infection reduction reasons why formula is sometimes preferable.

In the western world, sometimes milk supply is too little, or the mother gets an infection like mastitis that may require the use of formula. Sometimes mothers are on medication that can be transmitted in breastmilk. And of course, sometimes there is no living lactating mother, and the baby's got to drink something.

And sometimes it's the parents choice to formula feed.

Of all the atrocities in the world that I would take an ethical stance on, formula would be fairly low on that list.
    Ya, in one example, my mother used to run a charity, where (among many many other things) baby formula was sent to an orphanage that was in crisis conditions - which is one case where it would make sense.

Otherwise though, the promotion of using it in place of actual breastmilk (when there is no health risk) - especially the marketing of such - is extremely immoral, ya (to the point I'd class it as exploitation). I avoid Nestle for this reason.

I'm not sure about extremely immoral: mothers who choose not to breastfeed are not acting immorally. There is strict regulation about the promotion of formula (you cannot redeem loyalty points against it afaik).

Whatever about peoples choices, if there was no formula milk babies would die, which is the most immoral thing imaginable in my book.

• Advertisement

They are and they aren't. I'd never work for a company with tie-ins to actually horrible things like Bayer that's been pointed out ITT. But when it comes to certain markets where there are fools willing to pretty much throw away their money on rubbish (magazines, overpriced electronics like beats, fizzy drinks like coke etc.) I'd happily be the one to basically walk around with a bucket collecting it. I've a strong admiration for the geniuses behind certain marketing campaigns and a strong disdain for the clueless sheep at the other end of it swallowing it whole, I'd just rather being on the winning side and benefiting from it.
    It's small scale stuff like that, which creates the professional ethics (and general workplace atmosphere/culture) required, to justify doing that on a large scale: How about peddling overpriced mortgages to people (encouraging a property boom in the process), with you getting rich in the present, and then watching their wages and ability to pay get undercut (and the bank you're in requiring a bailout), when the unsustainability of this creates an economic crisis? (by the time the crisis hits, you've already received your wages/riches, and have no reason to care about it)

There are a lot of individual mortgage lenders who had the ethical mindset you promote there, who only looked at their actions on a small scale - happy to sucker people into overpriced mortgages, not caring if they would be able to afford it long-term - and who ignored the eventual large-scale impact of their actions.

The basis of fraud, is tricking someone - taking advantage of their lack of knowledge (and possible stupidity) - into accepting a bad deal; that's basically what you're trumpeting there, and you even would have disdain for the victim of fraud too.

That's the kind of thinking that led us into our current mess, where we are still (to this day) collectively being exploited by many of the same institutions, that helped put us where we are now.

I'm not sure about extremely immoral: mothers who choose not to breastfeed are not acting immorally. There is strict regulation about the promotion of formula (you cannot redeem loyalty points against it afaik).

Whatever about peoples choices, if there was no formula milk babies would die, which is the most immoral thing imaginable in my book.
    Well, if it's the mothers choice then yea that's fine - but if it's advertised as something that should replace it, then I'd class it as immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Depends, would have to decide on a case by case basis. I probably wouldnt work on something that involved testing on animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

If its going to happen anyway and you cant change it, you might as well profit from it if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Hard to give a definitive list of what I would or would not work on.
    Weapons and animal testing are two types of projects I would not work on. I did refuse to work on a project with a british tobacco firm some years ago but that was more because I just did not like them rather than ethics.
    But that aside, it is case by case.

lets test your ethics

you have been diagnosed with a disease that will kill you within 1 year
    however there is a new treatment that will totally cure the disease.
    unfortunately, 1000 mammals were killed (rabbits, rats etc) by testing the product during the development cycle.

would you refuse the treatment and accept your fate.
    be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

I'm a nurse in ICU.
    I've looked after some individuals I wouldn't cross the street to pee on.
    i mean really bad.
    Murderers paedophiles rapists terrorists you name it - I've looked after them.
    Not easy but you have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't think I could ever work as a lawyer or solicitor. Having to defend someone who from evidence was more than likely guilty would make me feel physically sick.

The State when in prosecutes someone has access to practically unlimited resources - the consequences for an individual can be severe and there are enough examples around of people who were 'fitted' up - to make it an imperative that someone makes sure the State is kept honest when it decides to prosecute someone.

Saying that, sentencing in this country is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

lanos wrote: »
    lets test your ethics

you have been diagnosed with a disease that will kill you within 1 year
    however there is a new treatment that will totally cure the disease.
    unfortunately, 1000 mammals were killed (rabbits, rats etc) by testing the product during the development cycle.

would you refuse the treatment and accept your fate.
    be honest

That is not work, but life and death.
    Thread is about 'Professional ethics'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I work in a similar field. Military application devices are a field in themselves due to the rigorous testing criteria they need to pass. Saying I won't work on these types of projects is seriously shooting yourself in the foot professionally. Ethically, its far more important that I don't release a product that I know is of poor quality or sub specifications. For all you know it could be a device used in comms and could save lives? As an engineer its not my job to have an opinion on what the device is to be used for. It has a function and I'm to see that it accomplish this function. This is what I'm paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Senna wrote: »
    ??

Chip shops they were called in my day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Senna wrote: »
    ??

McDonald's and the like, who serve over-processed, sugar filled foods that are as much to blame for the rise in obesity as people themselves often are. Marketing is more powerful than most people seem to think. Happy Meals? Ways to encourage kids to pester their parents for food that will make them fat, while promoting the latest merchandise-fest film from Hollywood.

McDonald's and the like, who serve over-processed, sugar filled foods that are as much to blame for the rise in obesity as people themselves often are. Marketing is more powerful than most people seem to think. Happy Meals? Ways to encourage kids to pester their parents for food that will make them fat, while promoting the latest merchandise-fest film from Hollywood.

The latest studies suggest that inactivity rather than food intake is the biggest determinant when it comes to obesity - difficult to blame the food industry (fast or otherwise) if people are too lazy to go for a 20 min walk once a day......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you go into a company eyes open, you should inform yourself of their products and activities, if you dont like it, its up to you not to accept the job.

Companies with seemingly ordinary consumer products can be part of conglomerates that have military products or products of lower standards in different markets, again its a matter of free will whether to work for them.

So, if I was an employer within one of these companies, and somebody came to me with ethical refusal, on the basis that he/she should have known better from their own research of the role, I would fire them and give the role to someone who will actually do what they are being paid to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

here, load these shells with phosphorous and pieces of metal and stick it in the box market Congo.

- eh, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Jawgap wrote: »
    The latest studies suggest that inactivity rather than food intake is the biggest determinant when it comes to obesity - difficult to blame the food industry (fast or otherwise) if people are too lazy to go for a 20 min walk once a day......
    You mean a lack of exercise correlates more strongly to mortality rates than obesity, I think. The availability of cheap, nutrient-poor, calorie-rich foods absolutely is a significant factor in the prevalence of obesity.

You mean a lack of exercise correlates more strongly to mortality rates than obesity, I think. The availability of cheap, nutrient-poor, calorie-rich foods absolutely is a significant factor in the prevalence of obesity.

Yes, that's I meant - and yes, I'd agree the available of energy dense food is a significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My work is guided by a strict code of conduct and is subject to pre-emptive and continuous scrutiny by an ethics committee. Wouldn't have it any other way, in accord as it is with my personal principles.
    I get the feeling the things like ethics and health and safety committees are there more so to cover the companies ass, than to protect the employee/customer. Ethics committees would tend to ask did you break any ethical rules rather than did you act ethically??

With health and safety they teach you one way of doing something so that if your don't do it that way and get injured it's your own tough luck.
    I really want to read the study that says breastfed babies are given immunity to HIV.
    I don't think there are. Some people in Europe are immune to HIV, those people would pass that immunity on to their children. There have been some cases of babies being born with an immunity to HIV that their parents didn't have, but I don't think there's any evidence that breast milk cures HIV.

I don't think people realise how much shoite goes into our food. My brother in law works in the factory which makes ice cream for McDonalds. He told me that for every 10 tonnes of ice cream they produce, they put in 1 tonne of refined sugar. Another tonne of dextrose. Another tonne of glucose. It isn't labelled as sugar but they're all forms of sugar. I check food labels on everything I buy these days. Most food companies have no ethics and are throwing absolute filth into our food. Everything is artificial and the cheapest thing to produce to maximise profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Everything is artificial and the cheapest thing to produce to maximise profit.
    That's how capitalism works. Simple solution is to not buy it. These companies are meeting consumer demand. Consumers demand cheap food so companies make cheap food for them.

• Advertisement

But food companies are still sugar coating their ingredients, pardon the pun. Most people wouldn't know what glucose or dextrose is. Most people can't read food labels and I'm sure if they could and understand the ingredients, they wouldn't half the shoite on the shelves. I want more natural ingredients in my food.

Advertisement