Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying my US fiance... Advice please?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,
    I'm in need of a little bit of advice or a point in the right direction here, as my own research is frying my brain somewhat.
    I am an Irish citizen, 26 years old and living in Vancouver, Canada. I am here on a Working Holiday Visa. I have lived here for 2 years with another year still remaining. While living here, I met my boyfriend, who is from Washington, USA.
    We have been together for almost a year now and are very serious about closing our distance, getting married and being together once and forever.
    Which is where I need some advice...
    We are thinking the best thing to do is to go down the K1 visa route. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems to be the most legitimate and time-efficient way of doing things. Has anyone been through this process and could tell me a bit about it? Does it affect things that I am a resident in Canada as opposed to Ireland? Can the interview/medical be done in Canada rather than Ireland? Any info would be a help at this point.
    Alternatively, could anyone tell me anything about getting married in Ireland to a US citizen? Would he need a specific visa? We would be happy to move to Ireland, get married and live there. I just am confused about the legalities and immigration side of everything.
    Just some advice/opinion/suggestion on the best option for us to work this out, would be so much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Since you are legally resident in Canada, you can do it all there. You will need a police cert from Ireland, and the process takes about 7-9 months right now, after which you have 6 months to use the visa to move to the USA.

You might give consideration to getting married (can be a quick legal wedding) and filing for the CR-1 spousal visa instead;it takes longer, just over a year, but is significantly cheaper, plus it means you can work and travel right away once you enter the USA, rather than having to wait several months like you do with the K1.

If you decide to move to Ireland, check out: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319492

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hollybeanz

Thank you Silja! Good advice.. Do you happen to know if it's possible to be in the states while waiting for the CR-1 to go through? Like, could I enter the states, marry him and then remain there and file for a spousal visa? Or marry in Ireland and then move to the states and file.. Is it still possible to enter the states on the VWP after marriage?
    I don't want to do anything illegally. I'm just desperate to be with the man I love, whether we live in Ireland, the USA or Timbuktu..

You can visit on the VWP during the process, but you cannot move there/ live there/work there etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IrishK1fiance

Hey Holly Beanz

I am 26 from Cork Ireland. I have been dating my fiancé since my J1 in 2009! We lived together in Dublin and London but he is based in Baltimore MD now finishing law school....pretty close to Washington....

Any way I will get to the point :)

We filed our K1 petition last October, it was quite straight forward......but it is a bit of a waiting game....our immigration lawyer indicted I should be there in May 15. If your thinking of doing this I would recommend filing as soon as possible none of the real form filling and hurdles start til after "notice of action 2" which is about 5 months in! If you have any questions I d love help you out! Good luck

Gill

Sorry if I'm being ignorant guys but I just have a few questions. For example, if I go to the US under the VWP, and marry my girlfriend can I immediately legally work there? Or would I have to leave after the 90 days and wait for the spousal visa to be accepted?

For anyone who has been through this can you explain which is easier for just being with the person you love. If we apply for a Fiance visa can I live in the US while waiting for it to be approved or would I have to wait out my time in Ireland, wet, miserable, in a dead end job and alone?! She has to be in California for work and money is an issue, if not I would be happy flying over and back to see her. Sorry if I sound like I don't know anything, I feel like I've read so much that I don't know what to believe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sorry if I'm being ignorant guys but I just have a few questions. For example, if I go to the US under the VWP, and marry my girlfriend can I immediately legally work there? Or would I have to leave after the 90 days and wait for the spousal visa to be accepted?

For anyone who has been through this can you explain which is easier for just being with the person you love. If we apply for a Fiance visa can I live in the US while waiting for it to be approved or would I have to wait out my time in Ireland, wet, miserable, in a dead end job and alone?! She has to be in California for work and money is an issue, if not I would be happy flying over and back to see her. Sorry if I sound like I don't know anything, I feel like I've read so much that I don't know what to believe!

No you can not immediately work there. You have to submit the necessary visa paperwork and have it approved.

Going over on the Visa Waiver program with the intention of marrying AND STAYING is dodgy, don't do it.
    You can visit during the process though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BCLGjohn

I've got the initial approval for the K1 visa however I now have to provide garda records. About 10 years ago I was arrested for being drunk and put in a cell. I wasn't charged and was released the next day. Does anyone know if this would appear on garda records?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

You should be good you weren't charged. It should come up clear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement