Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good cycling book

Options
  • 14-01-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I haven't read a cycling book at all and i'm looking for a recommendation of a good 1st read.

Open to a change of mind on this but i was thinking of something along the lines of modern pro cyclist autobiography would interest me most at present.

I'd like to find out a bit more about their pre season training, maybe diet side during season as well stories from races and general good read.

Any recommedations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

On the Lance Armstrong fiasco:
    1) The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton
    2) Wheelmen.

The Marco Pantani autobio
    The David Miller book.
    David Walsh has books on Team Sky and Chris Froome...

or yea.

Slaying the Badger about Hinault vs Le Mond..

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Lanterne Rouge is a great read, but definitely not a perspective on the modern pro's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Charlie Wegalus: Domestique
    Cycle of Lies: whatshername
    David Millar: Racing in the Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Dog in a Hat - Joe Parkin

American Pro racing in Europe late 80's - early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Etape by Richard Moore, +1 on Domestique and the Cycling Anthology books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

+1 for Dog in a Hat - great read.

A Race for Madmen -Chris Sidwell - a history of the TDF

The Crooked Path to Victory:Drugs and Cheating in Professional Bicycle Racing: Les Woodland

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Also, excellent thread here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057189863/1

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Laurent Figon's autobiography is a cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Laurent Figon's autobiography is a cracking read.

This would be my first choice too... a great read, well written and honest, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Quite enjoying Paul Howards biography of Jacques Anquetil at the moment. It's called "sex lies and handlebar tape". Etape by Richard Moore is really good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

1. It's All About The Bike by Robert Penn.
    A good book about the evolution of the bicycle and how he builds a bike for life with the help of Brian Rourke (and a few worldwide trips).

2. Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet: The sports physio that was involved in the Festina Affair in 1998. Very good read.

3. We Were Young and Carefree by Laurent Fignon.

4. The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton.

5. Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The secret race is a good read
    The death of Marco Pantani is good as well
    Rough Ride is also good.

I haven't managed to read a book yet that isn't about the disastrous effect of drugs on cycling/cyclists.....

I'll have to have a look at some of the others on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Thanks all for the replies and the link to the other thread, i'll pick through them today

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

The rainbow project is good as is mark cavendish at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton is incredible. you wouldnt even need to be into cycling to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I've just finished 'In Search of Robert Millar' by Richard Moore and it's an excellent read. He's a really good writer, even though I think he's a little unfair to Millar in the premise of this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

You gotta read Rough ride by Kimmage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The Rider

Then after that:
    In search of Robert Millar
    dog in a Hat
    the Ras
    Life and death of Marco Pantani - spoiler alert it's utterly depressing. Almost as depressing as Nil by Mouth (which is my favourite depressing film).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

this meets none of the criteri you mentioned but i really enjoyed this book Gironimo!: Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy - See more at: http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/tim-moor
    he also wrote one called French revolutions. he followed the route of the four and the Giro. The tour on a standard road bike , the giro on a period classic with wooden rims. Hes a middle aged , not very fit cyclist . I think he sort of represents the cycling everyman. hes also funny . good on poted history and back story to the races as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I liked Nico Roche's i- Inside the Peloton if you are new to cycling and it is an easy read
    I thought The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton was a very good read

Anything by Richard Moore is great including Slaying the Badger and Etape

I also liked We Were Young and Carefree by Laurent Fignon.

And I have just bought Hunger by Sean Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MPFG wrote: »

And I have just bought Hunger by Sean Kelly

A great read.

I can't believe this thread has had 20 posts before Hunger was mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

1. It's All About The Bike by Robert Penn.
    A good book about the evolution of the bicycle and how he builds a bike for life with the help of Brian Rourke (and a few worldwide trips).

The video of the book of the bike of the...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg9iYK-9E0

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

Would definately recommend Fignon's "We Were Young and Carefree" as a good read. Typically blunt and no BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flimflamflo

+1 for The Rider, a true classic.

Enjoyed Sean Kelly's 'Hunger' but in fairness, he doesn't exactly engage with the elephant in the room that is PED and I reckon the only thing I really got out of it was the fact that he signed the book for me.

Tyler Hamilton's is a well written, very engaging look at what anyone who read 'From Lance to Landis' before David Walshe cashed in bigtime already knows.

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage remains (for me, anyway) the benchmark for any honest account of the past 30 years, like him or no.

I really enjoyed Michael Hutchinson's 'The Hour'

If you want a coffee table style book with an engaging storytelling style and history, Herbie Sykes' 'Maglia Rosa' about the Giro is excellent too.

Lastly, check out The Cycling Anthology series - collections of current cycling journalism, there might be something there to catch your fancy.

Enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geoff35

Fallen Angel-Fausto Coppi...is very good...i've read most and its one of the best ive read...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

crosstownk wrote: »
    A great read.

I can't believe this thread has had 20 posts before Hunger was mentioned!

In fairness, it's not that great of a read at all. Very disappointing from Kelly. As someone said, he doesn't address the PED issue at all. Reads more like an English footballer's bland biography, and does the genre of cycling biography a disservice.

David Walsh's biography of Kelly in the eighties was probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I had another look at my collection and I think my favourite is Laurent Fignon "Nous étions jeunes et insouciants"/"We Were Young and Carefree" for the non francophones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Rough Ride is a good one to start with.

Just bought ' The Rules ' for holidays ..looks gas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

+2 for The Rider by Tim Krabbe if you want to imagine a time when drugs didn't determine who won and who lost. Too many of the other books either focus on drugs/getting caught/reforming or duck the issue altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Faster - The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists
    Very good if you're interested in how the pros train. Easy to read as well.
    http://road.cc/content/review/115653-faster-obsession-science-and-luck-behind-worlds-fastest-cyclists

Advertisement