Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A reminder for any of my fellow poets:
    The Stony Thursday Book

Deadline Reminder: Friday 8th August 2104

The Stony Thursday Book is seeking submissions from local, national and international poets for its next issue, to be published as part of CUISLE, Limerick City's International Poetry Festival* in October 2014.
    The Stony Thursday Book was founded by Limerick poets John Liddy and Jim Burke in 1975, and has been edited by poets Mark Whelan, Kevin Byrne, Patrick Bourke, Knute Skinner, Thomas McCarthy, Ciarán O’Driscoll, Mary Coll, Jo Slade and Paddy Bushe.

The Stony Thursday Book is one of the longest-running literary journals in Ireland and celebrates its 39th Anniversary Edition in 2014.

Submissions are being sought in both English and Irish.

How to Submit:
    - Each poet should send no more than 6 poems.
    - Submitted poems must be previously unpublished.
    - Submissions are being accepted by email and by post.
    - When submitting poems in hardcopy please write your name and address on each page. Please mark envelopes: ‘The Stony Thursday Book 2014’.
    - When submitting by email please reference ‘TSTB 2014’ in your subject line.

Send poems to:
    The Stony Thursday Book 2014, Arts Office, Limerick City & County Council, City Hall, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick
    Or by email to: artsoffice@limerick.ie

Closing Date for Submissions: Friday 8th August 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Managed to get a couple of poems submitted on deadline day (15th) for the Red Line Poetry Competition – nightmare to use snail mail for submissions these days! I don't have a printer, nor an envelope, nor stamps, nor sellotape! Had to print the stuff in an internet cafe, find 2 old envelopes that were previously sent to me (they require two), put the stamps on, then use the sticky part of a few post-its to seal the envelopes closed (the stickiness was gone; one of the envelopes actually originally contained my Leaving Cert results! Yes, I'm a hoarder :D)

All's well that ends well... Well, it will end well if I win :)

Sent some stuff in to the Bohemyth too. We shall see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I must try Bohemyth again soon.

The upcoming issue of Silver Apples will have one of my stories in it. I'm quite chuffed.

Can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of your stories these days DK :) Good stuff

Given that you're in the weshht, you might be interested to know (if you weren't already aware) that the Galway Review are taking submissions currently: http://thegalwayreview.com/2014/08/15/submission-guidelines/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Any news on the next VOAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A VOAT would be good actually... haven't written a short story for ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'll be up for one once end of sept exams over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Have never requested critical analysis of my writing. Presumably you guys deal with poetry too?

Could I post a piece of poetry I wrote and tell me honestly whether it's the greatest piece of crap you've ever read?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you can, set up a new thread
    I'm not one to ask though, very picky about poetry

Bridport winners should be announced in a couple weeks. I'll check my emails, against all hope :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Udemy have a free creative writing course (today only), worth $147.

https://www.udemy.com/writing-that-sells-techniques-that-will-transform-writing/?couponCode=WritingThatSells+FreeThroughMondaythe1st

From looking at the syllabus, it definitely looks useful for aspiring writers (and writers looking to improve).

If you're willing to pay, this course with Rob Doyle might be good.

http://writerscentre.ie/html/courses/Autumn2014/beginnerDoyle.html

Cutting back on caffeine at the moment. I keep falling asleep at the keys!

If anyone wants to be sound, they can give me some feedback on my poem! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057298409

Thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rejected by Stony Thursday. :(
    Getting into last year's edition was such a high!

I haven't had my bridport email yet. Any day now, I'm sure
    definitely

>>

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Was listening to Colm Tóibín on Pat Kenny last week and he told the story of how he went looking for a mortgage. Did anyone hear it?
    I found it funny as he told of when he sat with the bank manager/s they asked him - I'm ad-libbing here: "So Mr Tobín, you're a writer - what happens if you get writer's block? Will you be able to pay us?"
    He replied that writer's block is a myth.
    Anyway, it turned out that there was a bank official called Michael Fingleton who believed him about writer's block and gave him the mortgage.

Jayzus, this thread died a death!

Shamelessly bumping it so that I can tell someone my good news – got an email today saying that one of my poems is going to be published in March! :D It's a minor enough, mostly online (but print can be ordered), publication (not gonna say which it is just yet!), but people do know about it.

Trying not to get carried away or tell anyone in real life in case it doesn't materialise, but I'm a bit giddy since getting the email :D My first publication!

Now to wait impatiently for 2 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Dave! wrote: »
    Jayzus, this thread died a death!

Shamelessly bumping it so that I can tell someone my good news – got an email today saying that one of my poems is going to be published in March! :D It's a minor enough, mostly online (but print can be ordered), publication (not gonna say which it is just yet!), but people do know about it.

Trying not to get carried away or tell anyone in real life in case it doesn't materialise, but I'm a bit giddy since getting the email :D

Now to wait impatiently for 2 months :(

Congrats!:D

hope the 2 months fly for you

If it's a known publication, and they say they're going to include your poem, I think you can relax. :)

Congrats, dude!

I haven't submitted for anything in ages. I might send something for the Cuirt New Writer award. I think the closing date is early February.

In the mean time I'm going to be reading in the Galway City Library on the 22nd. I'm already having the nerve induced dreams. :pac:

• Advertisement

That's so exciting dave :)

Maybe I should try getting mine more out there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Das Kitty wrote: »
    In the mean time I'm going to be reading in the Galway City Library on the 22nd.

Out loud?

Out loud?

Telepathically actually. :p

Yeah 20 minutes of my blurbling.

No idea what I'm going to read yet. :confused:

Tell them it has to be a weekend so I can come listen

bluewolf wrote: »
    Tell them it has to be a weekend so I can come listen

I'm sure someone will live stream it so you can tweet along.

:pac:

Holy sh*t, I got an email today to say another poem is being published in a second magazine! :D This one's very new – it's called GOWP (Group of Writing People).

https://twitter.com/atgowp
    http://fundit.ie/project/gowp-two-fundit

They're having a launch event in Rathmines next week if any of ye are around!

https://www.facebook.com/events/628648967257841/

I'm not reading or anything (I don't think!)

F*cking hell, what a start to the year! :D It never rains but it pours!

Ah, just got an email from The Penny Dreadful to say they won't be running my work this time.

Keeping me grounded :pac:

They're difficult enough to get published in. They have a very particular tone.

The Moth Short Story Prize is open for entries again. 6K limit on that one if you have something long and thoughtful hanging around on your hard-drive.

The Cúirt New Writers prize is open for another couple of weeks too.

I'm hoping to enter both of them. No idea what to send to Cúirt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Dave! wrote: »
    They're having a launch event in Rathmines next week if any of ye are around!

https://www.facebook.com/events/628648967257841/

I'm not reading or anything (I don't think!)

If you are going you should 'volunteer' to read. The more you are seen and heard the better and if you stand around waiting to be asked it doesn't always happen. Afterwards people are saying, "Oh if only we'd known you were willing to read..."
    Put yourself forward. The worst they can say is, "No."

• Advertisement

Thanks, good advice. I've never read any poetry in public before, so I think I'd rather my first one is at a smaller event! I was just about to offer to read at the Monday Echo in the International Bar when they announced they're not running the event anymore! :D Another one has replaced it though, so I'm gonna build up to reading at that probably.

I believe there is also gonna be a launch event for the other zine I'm being published in, which would be more low key, so we'll see about reading at that one.

Advertisement