Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Connolly status?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Is Luas Connolly still an operational stop? I haven't seen a tram there for a long time. Its live update page has no scheduled trams either. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it is, but isn't used after (I think) 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It would be more useful if they extended it a couple of stops further North/East/northeast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Connolly stop is operational as follows, with all trams going to Citywest:

Monday to Friday: 7:10am to 7:30pm
    Saturday: 9:05am to 6:45pm
    Sunday & Bank Holiday: 3:10pm to 7:00pm
    - See more at: http://m.luas.ie/times/operating-hours.html#sthash.XQQVOdo2.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

AngryLips wrote: »
    It would be more useful if they extended it a couple of stops further North/East/northeast

Can it be extended, it kind of terminates in a brick wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Can it be extended

Nowhere terribly useful. Certainly nothing worth doing ahead of the various stalled or shelved projects about.

The stop itself is barely worth keeping having significantly lower frequency than Busaras across the road. It's main function now is as a handy turnback to keep the Point branch from having to turn around all the services.

The space (with some of the road behind taken also) would make a good site for a bus station on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A Luas extension north from Connolly would most likely have to travel along Amien Street and North Strand Road to Fairview as other roads in the area are too narrow and lined with houses. There are no real trip generators along there either. A better alternative would be to extend from the Point to Clontarf Station via the Port and Eastpoint Business Park. This could get good passenger numbers for very little cost and provide another interchange on the network making public transport more attractive generally.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Nowhere terribly useful. Certainly nothing worth doing ahead of the various stalled or shelved projects about.

The stop itself is barely worth keeping having significantly lower frequency than Busaras across the road. It's main function now is as a handy turnback to keep the Point branch from having to turn around all the services.

The space (with some of the road behind taken also) would make a good site for a bus station on the cheap.

Having Connolly open means that you can operate a higher service level between Belgard and Busarus during peak periods. The line to the Point doesn't need that level of service. When Connolly is open, trams run from Tallaght to the Point and from Citywest to Connolly. Outside of the hours that I quoted above, the Citywest branch runs as a shuttle to/from Belgard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lxflyer wrote: »
    Having Connolly open means that you can operate a higher service level between Belgard and Busarus during peak periods. The line to the Point doesn't need that level of service. When Connolly is open, trams run from Tallaght to the Point and from Citywest to Connolly. Outside of the hours that I quoted above, the Citywest branch runs as a shuttle to/from Belgard.

the original plan for the Citywest branch was for a tri-angular junction with the tallaght line, so that the shuttle type services could run to Tallaght, but this was omitted from the final plans.

the original plan for the Citywest branch was for a tri-angular junction with the tallaght line, so that the shuttle type services could run to Tallaght, but this was omitted from the final plans.

There is no significant need for such a service.

Being honest the current service pattern delivers the best level of service as it prioritises the peak travel direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

why not shut the current connolly stop and have it out where the tracks pass to continue to the point instead? i know its used for a turnback but it would mean that connolly could continue to be served by all passing trams rather then the nonsense situation of no tram after a certain time

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

why not shut the current connolly stop and have it out where the tracks pass to continue to the point instead? i know its used for a turnback but it would mean that connolly could continue to be served by all passing trams rather then the nonsense situation of no tram after a certain time

Because that's an active road and nearly right beside another stop (George's Dock)

so what was the point of connolly stop then? there should be some sort of shuttle system to and from there to somewhere rather then no tram after a certain time. considering dart runs up until latish, people should be able to get a tram from connolly to at least connect to another one. the ramp which would be completely useful in an emergency meaning people could evacuate quickly was removed for it, so it should be served while trains are running. hopefully it will be re-thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

so what was the point of connolly stop then? there should be some sort of shuttle system to and from there to somewhere rather then no tram after a certain time. considering dart runs up until latish, people should be able to get a tram from connolly to at least connect to another one. the ramp which would be completely useful in an emergency meaning people could evacuate quickly was removed for it, so it should be served while trains are running. hopefully it will be re-thought.

It is literally a 45 second walk to Busaras - I reckon people will survive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was the terminus of the line for quite some time, closing it would be pointless and would reduce capacity on the city centre section of the line unless extra platforms would built at further cost elsewhere.

Its far too close to the other stops for a shuttle to be justifiable.

It is literally a 45 second walk to Busaras - I reckon people will survive.
    doesn't matter. the stop was built removing a ramp which would be useful if there was an emergency, so therefore it should be either used, or shut

L1011 wrote: »
    It was the terminus of the line for quite some time

and its not now. so either find a way to keep trams serving it, or shut it.
    closing it would be pointless

it wouldn't seeing as people can't get a tram from there after a certain time even though trains are running. not serving it while trains are running is just as pointless.
    would reduce capacity on the city centre section of the line unless extra platforms would built at further cost elsewhere.

the cost would be worth it if they aren't going to serve connolly while trains run.
    Its far too close to the other stops for a shuttle to be justifiable.

tough. its there now, so it should be the case that trams serve it all the time from somewhere allowing a connection to the others along the way, or shut it and get people to walk to the bus station

doesn't matter. the stop was built removing a ramp which would be useful if there was an emergency, so therefore it should be either used, or shut

Closing it won't put the ramp back, you know.

Can you justify your massively high cost plans beyond just saying "tough" or the like?

Closing it won't put the ramp back, you know.

did i say it would? if you bothered to read my post you would have realized what i stated, was as we removed it to implement a stop for trams to allow access from train users, it should be served while trains operate. once trains don't operate, it doesn't have to be served.
    Can you justify your massively high cost plans beyond just saying "tough" or the like?

what massively high cost plans. if a tram stop is implemented outside a train station to allow access to the tram for train users, it should be in operation while trains run from that station. once trains stop operating, the tram can stop serving it until trains resume operation. having a tram serve a stop implemented for it outside a train station means integration between both methods. there is no excuse for the current nonsense and i won't be changing my opinion no matter what you or anyone else posts.

did i say it would? if you bothered to read my post you would have realized what i stated, was as we removed it to implement a stop for trams to allow access from train users, it should be served while trains operate. once trains don't operate, it doesn't have to be served.

The relevance of the ramp to the current operation of the stop is nil. You are mentioning it for no explicable reason.
    what massively high cost plans. if a tram stop is implemented outside a train station to allow access to the tram for train users, it should be in operation while trains run from that station. once trains stop operating, the tram can stop serving it until trains resume operation. having a tram serve a stop implemented for it outside a train station means integration between both methods. there is no excuse for the current nonsense and i won't be changing my opinion no matter what you or anyone else posts.

Running a shuttle service for a 75 second walk, or removing a stop requiring a completely new set of turnback platforms to be built elsewhere are both massively high cost - one operational one capital.

Saying "tough" does not justify the costs involved for what is effectively zero gain.

The relevance of the ramp to the current operation of the stop is nil.

i never even mentioned the ramp in relation to current operations. i said it was removed to facilitate a stop which isn't being used to its full
    You are mentioning it for no explicable reason.

bull. read above
    Running a shuttle service for a 75 second walk, or removing a stop requiring a completely new set of turnback platforms to be built elsewhere are both massively high cost - one operational one capital.

no they aren't. they will cost, but if the operator isn't bothered to serve the connolly stop to its full, then built turnbacks at a terminus stop which will be used in full.
    Saying "tough" does not justify the costs involved for what is effectively zero gain.

Saying "tough" does justify the costs involved for what is effectively a hell of a lot of gain. see, i can twist and turn like yourself to

• Advertisement

i never even mentioned the ramp in relation to current operations. i said it was removed to facilitate a stop which isn't being used to its full

Yes, you did. In the very first post of yours I quoted in this thread, post 16.

"the stop was built removing a ramp which would be useful if there was an emergency, so therefore it should be either used, or shut"

And other times... You are trying to link the ramp to the operation of the stop, when it is irrelevant.

no they aren't. they will cost, but if the operator isn't bothered to serve the connolly stop to its full, then built turnbacks at a terminus stop which will be used in full.

"no they aren't" isn't an answer - just like "tough". You haven't given a single actual reason why a shuttle service makes sense, or why spending money to close a stop makes sense either.

Saying "tough" does justify the costs involved for what is effectively a hell of a lot of gain. see, i can twist and turn like yourself to

What gain? You've not shown anything.
    see, i can twist and turn like yourself to

I haven't got the slightest clue what you're trying to say here - other than, once again, showing that you don't understand that just stating something doesn't make it so. You need to at least try to explain why you think there's benefit to things.

Yes, you did. In the very first post of yours I quoted in this thread, post 16.

yeah, it was removed to facilitate a stop which hardly gets used. in your last post you claimed i said something else.
    And other times... You are trying to link the ramp to the operation of the stop, when it is irrelevant.

no i'm not. and i never said it was relevant apart from during the construction of the stop. again you twisted what i said in your last post to claim i said something else.
    You haven't given a single actual reason why a shuttle service makes sense, or why spending money to close a stop makes sense either.

i have
    What gain? You've not shown anything.

i have
    I haven't got the slightest clue what you're trying to say here - other than, once again, showing that you don't understand that just stating something doesn't make it so.

what are you talking about?
    You need to at least try to explain why you think there's benefit to things.

i don't need to do anything,

yeah, it was removed to facilitate a stop which hardly gets used. in your last post you claimed i said something else.

Directly followed by talking about current operations. If you didn't intend to link the two, you didn't do a good job of it. As written, you are linking the ramp to current operations.
    i have

Where?
    i have

Where?
    what are you talking about?

Your incoherent ramble there.
    i don't need to do anything,

If you want to keep making claims, you do.

Directly followed by talking about current operations. If you didn't intend to link the two, you didn't do a good job of it. As written, you are linking the ramp to current operations.

no, not at all
    Your incoherent ramble there.

no, not at all
    If you want to keep making claims, you do.

i don't

i don't

If you don't want to be called up on every single claim (and your replies show that you really, really don't like anything you state as fact being questioned), you need to make some attempt to.

So far we've got you making two pretty much unjustifiable claims (that closing the stop is a good idea; and that a shuttle service for a 75 second walk is agood idea) and getting very very tetchy when challenged

If you don't want to be called up on every single claim (and your replies show that you really, really don't like anything you state as fact being questioned), you need to make some attempt to.

attempt to what. you haven't called me out on anything, just argued nothing for the sake of it
    So far we've got you making two pretty much unjustifiable claims (that closing the stop is a good idea; and that a shuttle service for a 75 second walk is agood idea)

not unjustifiable at all. i never said a shuttle was a good idea, but just a possible suggestion out of many. infact terminating some trams there until the finish of trains but allow a connection to others along the line is a better idea.
    getting very very tetchy when challenged

no, not at all.

attempt to what. you haven't called me out on anything, just argued nothing for the sake of it

You are clearly reading a different thread at times. You're being questioned on your extremely dubious claims about the worth of closing the Connolly Luas stop and the worth of a shuttle service - and doing everything you can to not actually deal with it.

You directly quoted these two matters immediately after your claims here, rather proving that if there's anyone trying to argue nothing it's you. You know what you're being asked, as you have all thread.
    not unjustifiable at all. i never said a shuttle was a good idea, but just a possible suggestion out of many. infact terminating some trams there until the finish of trains but allow a connection to others along the line is a better idea.

So justify it then - something you've not even tried as yet.

You are clearly reading a different thread at times.

no, i'm not.
    You're being questioned on your extremely dubious claims about the worth of closing the Connolly Luas stop and the worth of a shuttle service - and doing everything you can to not actually deal with it.

wrong. i have dealt with it.
    You directly quoted these two matters immediately after your claims here, rather proving that if there's anyone trying to argue nothing it's you.

proving nothing of the sort
    You know what you're being asked, as you have all thread.

and i answered it.
    So justify it then - something you've not even tried as yet.

i have

wrong. i have dealt with it.

Again, where?

proving nothing of the sort

Back to the not reading the same content as everyone else, I see.

and i answered it.

Where?

i have

Again, where?

You keep stating that you've answered something that you haven't. Just like stating something doesn't make it so, stating that you've explained something when you haven't doesn't make it so.

• Advertisement

Again, where?

Back to the not reading the same content as everyone else, I see.

Where?

Again, where?

You keep stating that you've answered something that you haven't. Just like stating something doesn't make it so, stating that you've explained something when you haven't doesn't make it so.
    i have answered your questions. i'm done.

Advertisement