Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TEACHING jobs in ENGLAND and Agencies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Hey louthdrog. Thanks for all your info. I have recruitment day with uteach this week with possibility of going over to uk for a weeks training in december. Nervous and excited. Can u give me anymore tips or advice? What happens at the day recruitment? Hoping that i get into the weeks training in december and get offered a job in january.are there many schools outside the london area.was hoping to stay away from london itself and hopefully be more on the surrey side nearer to hampshire.anymore info would be great thanks.
    I dont know what happens on the recruitment day. I was a last minute addition to the course. I applied to agency very very late and places opened up on the course so had to do my interview for it over the phone.

All the schools are in Surrey (well they were for us). The closest to centre anyone got from it was Wimbledon. Generally the schools are lovely.

For the interview day, just show a willingness to learn. Admit that you are not up to scratch for the english system yet and thats why you want to do the course. Show some sort of knowledge of active learning and AFL. Show that you are 100% commited to moving too. The guys running the course were screwed over the last time round with people pulling out. There was 6 of us on the course when there was supposed to be 12, and I wasnt one of the original 12. If you show any hesitation they are likely to say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 becklyncho

Hey Guys if u work thru KS on a daily rate their rate for NQTs starts at £130 ! Other agencies really are ripping Irish NQTs off!!!!!!!!

I would recommend them :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

becklyncho wrote: »
    Hey Guys if u work thru KS on a daily rate their rate for NQTs starts at £130 ! Other agencies really are ripping Irish NQTs off!!!!!!!!

But how much do you end up with at the end of the day?? Gross may be more, but what is the net pay per day/week??

But how much do you end up with at the end of the day?? Gross may be more, but what is the net pay per day/week??

HEY Rebel Girl!

It depends on your expenses- ie. I am coming out with £650 gross and my expenses average out at £200 per week between my rent, travel, food etc. so I am only taxed on £450 per week!!!

So on average I come out with £555 per week net :):D:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

HEY Rebel Girl!

It depends on your expenses- ie. I am coming out with £650 gross and my expenses average out at £200 per week between my rent, travel, food etc. so I am only taxed on £450 per week!!!

So on average I come out with £555 per week net :):D:D:rolleyes:

Arrrg! I'm with Engage and seem to be skint all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Arrrg! I'm with Engage and seem to be skint all the time.

I'm with them as well, not doing too badly money wise though - are you claiming all your expenses?? I'm thinking of a change, but then again I'm happy enough in the school.

I've been a bit lazt submitting expenses - my own fault. But from now on I'll claim whatever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

Hi becklyncho, just wondering if you'd mind giving me a bit of info on how u found KS?

Patches22 wrote: »
    Hi becklyncho, just wondering if you'd mind giving me a bit of info on how u found KS?

Hey Patches22

I am in a catholic school in Kent at the moment- im an NQT and on £130 per day! im going perm in January I think- well KS have basically given me a choice on whether I want to go perm- most of their jobs are perm apparently- so if I go perm I will be paid for my Summer and my mid term!!!!!

I find them really really supportive- even though I started a while ago, the consultant I have checks in with me every week for a chat- I feel like they genuinely care about me and any issues with accommodation I had at the start they sorted- a friend of mine forgot to give her bank details to the payroll company at the start when she moved over and she didn't get paid- and one of the managers DROVE to kent to lend her money! now if that doesn't show they actually care I don't know what does!!!!

I have heard of other teachers with other agencies (bigger agencies) and they are only on £110 in Kent! I really don't think any other agencies pay the amount that KS Education do!!! And the consultant I have said she will even find me another school next year if I want to move!

Depending on the school you are in, some schools have more paperwork than others, but I am really lucky with the support I am getting. I would recommend maeve if you even just want to have a NO PRESSURE chat about your options. I had dealt with 2 other agencies previously and felt like they were vultures (because my subject is science!!) seriously.

check out their fb. any other questions, ask away I am happy to help !! :):):):D:D:D:D

Wow 130 is deadly! Are we being ripped off by Engage or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

KS Education are really, really good. They are incredibly supportive & do not pressure you into jobs!! You basically tell them what school you are after! I still get calls and emails from Engage, Uteach & Hourglass even though I have asked them to remove me from their client list. It is fierce annoying.:mad:

I've only just got a job but friends who went through them said that they keep in regular contact to see if you are happy and the likes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 themurph36

Hi All
    Just posting this looking for advice really. Am a Primary School Teacher ,graduated in 2012 and have been subbing the last 2 years but cannot do another year really. Unfortuantely havent been able to do my Dip thus far. Am considering moving to the UK but wondering what its like as have read a good few horror stories to do with mountains of paperwork. Any advice on agencies etc would be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Im based in kent at the moment. I took a job in sept 2013 teaching maths in a secondary school. Its not as bad as everyone says. Sign up to tes.co.uk for starters and see what jobs is up there. You can contact some agencies if necessary to get started. I would advise you to check the ofsted report of any school first and if you are interested ask to visit the school before you take the position. The south east is where the majority of work is it is expensive enough to live but at least you will get a stable job and income and you will get experience which is quite difficult to get ah home right now. Also the paperwork is not too bad. You have to record students progress every half term in their subjects which is too hard as it is all computerised. You get some pushy parents but you get that anywhere.

Hi lulufinn90
    Cheers for the advice much appreciated! Just a quick question, did you go through an agency or get the job directly? Do you live far from London? Id probably be going over on my own so wouldnt know too many people!

I went to kent county councils recruitment day in mar/apr 2013 had informal interview with a recruiter and a principal of a school they were recruiting for the whole of kent but the principal that was at the interviews gave me the job in her school. i was hired directly by the school and was made permanent straight away.

themurph36 wrote: »
    Hi lulufinn90
    Cheers for the advice much appreciated! Just a quick question, did you go through an agency or get the job directly? Do you live far from London? Id probably be going over on my own so wouldnt know too many people!

Also i work in sevenoaks which is 30minutes by train to charing cross. it is very expensive to live in so i live in tunbridge wells which is 45 minutes to london by train. i came over with my boyfriend. there is very few irish around. you will meet planty in the schools at work. in twells there is loads of clubs n groups to join which makes it easier also your only 40 minutes to gatwick for flying home

Cool, cheers for sharing! Seems to be loads of work, agencies are bombarding me so will decide soon! Have an idea anyway, Best of luck with the year ahead!

my best advice to you with agencies is make sure u visit the school and check the ofsted report before you decide what you do. (my school paid for my flights over to visit) some agencies recruit for schools that most teachers don't want to work in. the best agency i have heard of is KS education and they pay the best rates. Kent County Council recruit for all of kent and they hire directly so you start on the pay scale immediately. there is plenty of opportunity over her so don't let agencies suck you in and put you in a bad school

There will be loads of Irish teachers getting to know each other soon - Irish Council in Britain are helping launch an Irish Teachers Network in the near future, which will be a great help.

Agencies are a means to an end - I used an agency, and now onto my permanent contract in my current school

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LeonDen

I'm finishing up my PDE in June and seriously considering a move over to England in Sept.. been talking to teachers who have been over there and some have loved it and others hated it and told me to wait around here for something. Is it worth waiting around here to get the odd week of subbing or should I move over and get the experience of teaching an actual class? Would also be going on my own so slightly worried about that aswell. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 wombleer

Hey,

I'm in england around 5years now, I've started with an agency and worked with and working with now a lot of irish teachers currently. And now the school is funding me to do a masters in oxford university so i don't regret moving over here at all.

Do your research is the best bet. The agencies recommend any school and will tell you facilities are great. Generally they are but it is much different to working in ireland. There is a lot of admin and some schools are worse than others. Book marking is a huge part of the job! The schools tend to throw you straight in and don't realise that the system are hugely different and it takes a bit of time to adjust to all the extra admin bits you have to do.

You will learn fast but it is hard at the start. Try to find a school in a smaller area rather than london. Agency pay is ok but you don't get holiday pay but you can claim back expenses. I worked in Buckinghamshire and now I'm in oxford.

You make friends fast and there are loads of irish who move over to teach so you won't be alone. It is costly at the start to be here but as soon as you get a bit of experience your pay will improve.

Subbing may work out but I've a lot of friends who stayed at home to try get subbing and they are no longer teaching at all. It's worth the jump and sure you can always just go home if it's not your cup of tea.

Send me a pm if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

LeonDen wrote: »
    I'm finishing up my PDE in June and seriously considering a move over to England in Sept.. been talking to teachers who have been over there and some have loved it and others hated it and told me to wait around here for something. Is it worth waiting around here to get the odd week of subbing or should I move over and get the experience of teaching an actual class? Would also be going on my own so slightly worried about that aswell. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'd move over if I were you. You'll get straight into fulltime teaching and you'll get a lot more experience in differentiation, behaviour management and AFL. Teaching in the UK promotes a lot more active learning and coursework/regular testing is currently a huge component, which is the way Ireland is starting to go so you'll get tons of experience in marking regular coursework. The CPD opportunities will be really useful to you when you decide to come home too :) It is a lot to get used to at the beginning but once you are prepared to work a couple of evenings a week doing marking and planning, you get used to it SO quickly. Choose your school carefully and don't be afraid to ask EXACTLY how much marking and testing they do in your subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LeonDen

Thanks so much Wombleer and Afroshack good to hear something positive about being over there. Seriously considering it just hard to know which agency to go through..thinking uteach, been hearing some good things about them! Not too worried about the workload as I know I'll manage it somehow, more worried about not adapting to the different style of life but hearing the positive comments on the threads here eases the worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

LeonDen wrote: »
    Thanks so much Wombleer and Afroshack good to hear something positive about being over there. Seriously considering it just hard to know which agency to go through..thinking uteach, been hearing some good things about them! Not too worried about the workload as I know I'll manage it somehow, more worried about not adapting to the different style of life but hearing the positive comments on the threads here eases the worry!

I went with uTeach and found them really helpful. The pay wasn't brilliant, but they were very open to answering questions and emails and they offered to reimburse all my moving expenses - flights and ferry and so on. They also had a facebook page for Irish teachers in London/UK and organised a couple of small events for us to all meet each other. See it's not ALL bad stories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

I've heard mixed responses about agencies. Some people have found them really useful and others have realised that a lot more of their pay ends up at the agency than they originally anticipated. it does seem simpler to use an agency though in terms of the CRB check and schools willing to interview.

KS education and Engage education seem pretty prominent. What about Career Teachers? Does anyone have direct experience of them? Do they have training involved to help you get to grips with the UK curriculum?

I went with Engage, and I've heard mixed responses about them - I found them okay to deal with. I did agency work for 2 years and now onto a permanent contract in my school. Engage's interview process is quite good, you meet 6/7 schools depending on your subject in one go, and its all paid for, including CRB checks. My CRB for my permanent position was done by my school. Now that they have an Irish office, it seems to be more supportive of people over here - because you are very much thrown into the deep end and expected to cope.

In terms of support, its much better than it was - Engage had a full day training for teachers in Ireland before they moved over, I delivered a workshop for it - when I moved over I had no support like that

Lots of jobs seem to be based in London (though agencies do have posts in Kent, Essex etc)

I would be very interested in London but would be worried in terms of affording rent. Living expenses such as food would be manageable (inexpensive tastes, no stranger to a pound shop) But the rent can be an issue I have heard. Especially if you don't understand the claiming expenses process.

I suppose it would be wise to have savings to fall back on but it isn't always possible to have savings the way things are.

Do Engage help source accommodation or do you flat hunt yourself?

Lots of jobs seem to be based in London (though agencies do have posts in Kent, Essex etc)

I would be very interested in London but would be worried in terms of affording rent. Living expenses such as food would be manageable (inexpensive tastes, no stranger to a pound shop) But the rent can be an issue I have heard. Especially if you don't understand the claiming expenses process.

I suppose it would be wise to have savings to fall back on but it isn't always possible to have savings the way things are.

Do Engage help source accommodation or do you flat hunt yourself?

They have a facebook group for people who are coming to the UK to find potential flatmates, plus the induction day helps people get to know each other beforehand so that they can plan for moving over. A few people did that, and it was fine, especially if you are in the same school or near each other. I used spareroom, did end up staying a few nights in a hotel, as I was moving from near Oxford to Slough, but found a decent place pretty quickly.

I probably didn't claim half the expenses I could, though they have made it much easier recently, and it is fairly straightforward. You do need some sort of savings to fall back on, especially when setting up as you would have a deposit on a place plus the first month's rent. It would also depend on whether a place is furnished or not. It also depends on how far into London you end up going, the rent will get more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MissSilly

Hi I moved over in September and went with UTeach. Couldnt speak highly enough of them. If you would like some help contacting them or even about the move PM me

• Advertisement

MissSilly wrote: »
    Hi I moved over in September and went with UTeach. Couldnt speak highly enough of them. If you would like some help contacting them or even about the move PM me

What kind of fees are involved if you use an agency like UTeach? Once all of the paperwork and CRB checks are out of the way and you are placed in a school are there still fees involved?

Advertisement