Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Asians find weird / gross about Westerners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shuyin1 wrote: »
    Wearing shoes ALL over the house and on furniture/beds.

You wear your shoes to bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Grayson wrote: »
    It's called cross racial blindness. In Ireland we think all black/asian/indian/et look the same/similar. It's because we grew up in a very homogeneous society and studies have shown that people who grow up like that have great difficulty telling other races apart.

Likewise asian/black/etc will have difficulty telling us apart.

Think it's more because when you meet someone new, you search for a defining feature. In someone who is a different colour, the most obvious defining feature is your colour difference and so that what's what you process first and foremost, not individual features.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

Do you wipe your hands with dry paper every day and consider it germ-free? Imagine if you got some fecal matter on your hands, would you rather water or dry paper?

It's probably equally effective to use either water or paper in reality, and ideally you'd use both at the same time.

I still think using toilet paper to wipe your a*** is SLIGHTLY more hygienic than your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inforfun wrote: »
    First time i saw that had me with a big question mark on my face.
    And i am not exactly Asian.

Was the sick ****er putting butter on it?:(

Do you wipe your hands with dry paper every day and consider it germ-free? Imagine if you got some fecal matter on your hands, would you rather water or dry paper?

Drying wiping followed by washing your hands. It's best to keep a barrier between you and the feces, IMO, the less that gets on your hands in the first place, the better. Then wash with warm soapy water. Wiping with your bare hands, there is more chance of a lot getting down into your nails, even if they're cut short. Which is then harder to clean off.

• Advertisement

Wipes physical material into the hair and skin more than washing it away.

Wut?

Wipe with dry paper, then wash the minimal amount that might then be on your hands at the sink (as opposed to a higher chance of greater hand contamination by introducing water at the, erm, coalface, where there is concentrated matter caked on). How on earth would that then get in your hair and on your skin? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Wut?

Wipe with dry paper, then wash the minimal amount that might then be on your hands at the sink (as opposed to a higher chance of greater hand contamination by introducing water at the, erm, coalface, where there is concentrated matter caked on). How on earth would that then get in your hair and on your skin? :confused:

Emmm, butt hair and skin. You're wiping the material into your skin. Try wiping your cutlery clean with paper towels after you eat custard and you'll have a fair idea of why water is better.

Anyway, I hate you, you have me reading about 'anal cleansing' on wikipedia now.

Emmm, butt hair and skin. You're wiping the material into your skin.

Dunno how you wipe, but you don't wipe it into your skin if you're doing it right.

Dunno how you wipe, but you don't wipe it into your skin if you're doing it right.

Anyone know how to embed images in a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Whats with all the arse wiping posts everywhere lately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's a load of sh1te if you ask me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Anyone know how to embed images in a post?

You can't on AH

and topics like this are a good reason why!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    You can't on AH

and topics like this are a good reason why!!

Somebody asked me how I clean my backside. You expect me to describe it without illustrations?

AND WHY AM I INVOLVED IN ALL THOSE THREADS?

:pac:

This was not how I pictured my Xmas.

AND WHY AM I INVOLVED IN ALL THOSE THREADS?

:pac:

This was not how I pictured my Xmas.

Seriously, this is a weird conversation, let's agree to leave it here!

Anyway, I hate you, you have me reading about 'anal cleansing' on wikipedia now.

2015, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'Losing it' ...i.e. giving someone a bollicking, thought to be very bad form in Asian countries.

Even complaining about bad service, having no seats on buses etc is pretty rare. They put up and shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

inforfun wrote: »
    And i am not exactly Asian.

are you sort-of Asian ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Find yourself a job where your co - workers aren't racist.

Human beings stereotype, always have and always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

anncoates wrote: »
    Actually quite like the shoes off custom myself.

Most of eastern and northern Europe does the same.
    I suppose there are exceptions to every rule but I have found that the lobbies of hotels I have stayed in in India, Singapore, Japan and Malaysia tend to be populated with hookers most evenings.
    And in Malaysia, Singapore, China and Japan males are quite open about getting a massage with a happy ending etc and those massage parlours are not hidden away.
    So there are stereo types but when you look a little deeper you find there are a bunch of contradictions too.
    Just like here.

Prostitution doesn't mean sexual liberation - usually it means the opposite, i.e. there are 'good', virginal girls who you marry and have kids with, and then there are whores who are the lowest of the low, and men can have their cake and eat it.
    Calibos wrote: »
    Many cultural quirks had a sound basis in health back in the day. The No Pork thing In the Middle East. Pork is very safe nowadays though. When you walked home through fields of animal **** and streets of human sewage, it was a good idea to take the shoes off when entering the house. No need nowadays but the idea is culturally embedded.
    The no=pork thing was more that the ancient Israelites were nomads, and while you can travel around with sheep and goats and cattle, you can't really do the same with pigs. So they saw pork as something dirty that weird foreigners ate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

The no pork thing about Islam and Judaism is the biggest thing that turns me off about those religions. No bacon sandwiches or sausage sandwiches any more? GTF.

Oh, and maybe the penis-chopping thing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

cson wrote: »
    Jaysus I completely forgot about the shoes at the door thing over there. That's a fairly mental custom (though I remember having it explained to me that it's so you don't drag ****e into the house from your shoes I think).

So yeah that's a custom that I find weird/gross about them.

It's because way back (and still today for many) families used to eat on the ground and not use a table. People dragging crap in on their feet and then all the dishes being put on the ground is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

You wear your shoes to bed?
    I'm Asian, my shoes does not even get to the stairs :P
    How has this thread turned into the opposite of what it intended. Get back to moaning about westerners dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

goose2005 wrote: »
    i.e. there are 'good', virginal girls who you marry and have kids with, and then there are whores who are the lowest of the low

:eek: your lack of respect for these girls is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Cake Man wrote: »
    I remember I was putting together a crisp sandwich in work one day and got some puzzled looks off some Asian/Indian colleagues!

One thing I find about the Asians is their obsession with money and material things. The vast majority of Asians I work with or see around Sydney absolutely must be seen with designer clothing, bags, shoes etc. It would baffle them how anyone could wear something from Penny's, drive a cheap car or have anything less than the latest iPhone/Samsung etc.

A friend of mine explained this to me a while ago, they put so much effort into portraying this "rich" persona, they will spend on material things you'd see in everyday life (car,clothes,phones) but live in the a grubby little shïthole and never ask anyone to their house to damage this persona of wealth they've built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

shuyin1 wrote: »
    I'm Asian, my shoes does not even get to the stairs :P
    How has this thread turned into the opposite of what it intended. Get back to moaning about westerners dammit.

Well go on then..... Do we all smell like milk or wha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Well go on then..... Do we all smell like milk or wha'?

Low fat milk in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The 3 Asian girls I've been with were terrified by my endowment. The Japanese one shouted godzilla when he popped out.

What? Slimy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

If this thread was the other way around it would be banned for racism!

• Advertisement

Duzzer wrote: »
    If this thread was the other way around it would be banned for racism!

It kind of has gone the other way round

Advertisement