Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't alcohol considered a "gateway drug"?

Options
  • 01-01-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

My doctor's uncle was out in a bar having a piss up last night, he got friendly with a middle-aged man and was talking to him for a while, after a while passed, he went out into the smoking area with this man and took out a joint and lit it, he politely offered it to the man, and then, while this man is pissed drunk and barely even able to stand up, he starts telling him how cannabis is a "gateway drug" and it will lead to use of harder drugs like heroin. Personally, I don't understand this logic, as far as mind altering substances go, alcohol is a lot stronger than cannabis, for my doctor's uncle, he can smoke joint after joint and take bong rip after bong rip during a smoke-up and his level of intoxication would be nowhere near as much as after an average night out for him. I've never once heard alcohol referred to as a "gateway drug", yet it's the drug that everyone starts on, and of course is a lot more harmful than cannabis.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The gateway drug effect is way overstated, and generally misused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Alcohol is a gateway to the furry gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

your Doctors Uncle? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

My doctor's uncle...
    A strange acquaintance, but carry on if you feel it lends your point more credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Alcohol = gateway to curry and sex

Cannabis = gateway to pizza and chocolate (usually simultaneously)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Alcohol's not a drug - it's a drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why is not driving over the speed limit a gateway to killing and eating your victims..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It certainly is a gateway for nicotine... I find it near impossible to not smoke while I'm p*ssed. Aww yeah social smoker bullsh*t and all that but smoking sober makes me gawk but a ciggy while hammered is absolutely beautiful. I'm in college and I know loads of lads and girls who are full time smokers only because they started smoking while out and couldn't fight the urge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

mmmkay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

RayM wrote: »
    Alcohol's not a drug - it's a drink!

Hear, hear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Because it's popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Because if it was good enough for the brave men of 1916 it's good enough for you you little cur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The gateway drug effect is way overstated, and generally misused.

Its the saying that you come to expect from ignorant uneducated people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

People give out to me also for drinking coffee a lot. "Caffeine is a drug!". Maybe so. But this is coming from people who are usually swigging down 3 or 4 cans of Coca Cola a day. Yeah. Nice one.

Calpol was my gateway drug. , I got some when I was about 6 months old, led me down a dark pathway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

JaseHeath wrote: »
    People give out to me also for drinking coffee a lot. "Caffeine is a drug!". Maybe so. But this is coming from people who are usually swigging down 3 or 4 cans of Coca Cola a day. Yeah. Nice one.

People give out to me for injecting coffee into my arms. Ok, it's not coffee, it's heroin, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

There are few things more ridiculous than those Ag. Science types who consider it socially acceptable to get so drunk that they'll piss the bed and get in a bottle fight over a place in the Supermacs queue, but would consider taking a banger to be the equivalent consuming the products you keep under your sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

What makes cannabis a gateway drug, if it even is a gateway drug, is that by buying it you come in contact with a dealer. It's then much more likely that you will start taking other stuff.

If you could buy cannabis across the counter, then it's likely you'd never meet the dealer in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Seeing as cannabis is illegal it is probably more of the mindset of the person. They are in contact with a dealer and buying illegal substances so the kind of people who would try drugs like heroin would also take stuff like cannabis. Plenty of people drink or smoke without taking any other drugs.
    Alcohol = gateway to curry and sex

Cannabis = gateway to pizza and chocolate (usually simultaneously)

I wish to sign up to your newsletter and learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Jake1 wrote: »
    Calpol was my gateway drug. , I got some when I was about 6 months old, led me down a dark pathway.

Wait till you try the Calpol Six Plus, 15ml and you're wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

3 cans of Coke has less caffeine than the average cup of coffee.

You can actually get a decent enough buzz from taking 200-400mg of caffeine at once, although it only really lasts an hour or two. It's a drug that people underestimate because of it's legality IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know several people who registered as heroin addicts in order to get methadone, so they could try and go off the drink, even though they never tried heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Macavity. wrote: »
    3 cans of Coke has less caffeine than the average cup of coffee.

You can actually get a decent enough buzz from taking 200-400mg of caffeine at once, although it only really lasts an hour or two. It's a drug that people underestimate because of it's legality IMO.

Think it was about the sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well this is a novel way of talking about the most overdone subject in After Hours.

The answer is that alcohol is legal, so it doesn't make a difference that it can **** people up more than does. People who abuse alcohol are considered to be legends, while even a casual smoker is labelled a junkie and a waster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jake1 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292023/Paul-Gascoigne-drank-bottles-CALPOL-thinking-childrens-medicine-drunk.html
    Paul Gascoigne drank bottles of CALPOL thinking children's medicine would get him drunk

The alcoholic 45-year-old admits he became hooked on the pink liquid
    It became so serious he was banned from every chemist in Newcastle
    'It was crazy. I had loads of bottles,' former England star admits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why would you light a joint in a pub smoking area? Great way to get yourself barred.

Go outside if you're consuming illegal products.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Why would you light a joint in a pub smoking area? Great way to get yourself barred.

Go outside if you're consuming illegal products.
    I was in a bar where everyone does it anyway and the staff turn a blind eye to it, otherwise, I would not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I know several people who registered as heroin addicts in order to get methadone, so they could try and go off the drink, even though they never tried heroin.

Absolute lie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Probably because it's legal. Also, the amount of hypocritical people who don't even consider alcohol a drug is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Totally with the OP here. The amount of times I've shouted at the tv or radio after yet another muppet has proclaimed cannabis to be the gateway drug, and I'm roaring "It's ALCOHOL, FFS!".
    Seeing as cannabis is illegal it is probably more of the mindset of the person. They are in contact with a dealer and buying illegal substances so the kind of people who would try drugs like heroin would also take stuff like cannabis. Plenty of people drink or smoke without taking any other drugs..

I agree somewhat with you here, except that nobody (and I know a lot of cannabis smokers - mostly ex ones now, but still....) and I mean nobody makes a conscious decision to try cannabis for the first time by going out to find a dealer. They are usually at a party and if they had any reservations about cannabis before they started drinking, those reservations dissolve in alcohol and they'll take a joint handed to them by someone who more than likely isn't a dealer themselves.

It's when you start liking it that you go searching for a dealer! But the alcohol was invariably the gateway drug, IMO.

Also though, it is true that because cannabis is illegal you definitely then come into contact with other stronger and more addictive/dangerous illegal drugs.

Advertisement