Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm workers wages!

Options
  • 28-12-2014 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what are farm workers usually paid per hour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was getting €10/hour a few years back. The farm relief pay min wage an zero travel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

i was going to say 8 to 10 an hour but it would all depend on experience/ level of skill, your flexibility , who you are working for,some lads might pay a slight bit more,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Would many lads work for 8 an hour now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Miname wrote: »
    Would many lads work for 8 an hour now?

Not a hope. You'd get more standing in the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

lad that helps me out gets 10 euro an hour, he knows nothing about farming but does a good bit of heavy work like forking out troughs, taking tyres off pit, dont really get him that often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

whelan2 wrote: »
    lad that helps me out gets 10 euro an hour, he knows nothing about farming but does a good bit of heavy work like forking out troughs, taking tyres off pit, dont really get him that often

What would you pay someone if you took them on full-time who has experience with dairy cows and machinery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Feckthis wrote: »
    What would you pay someone if you took them on full-time who has experience with dairy cows and machinery?

€100/day 6.30 to 6pmp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

€100/day 6.30 to 6pmp

A full time man with experience of cows and machinery for €8/hr? I don't think so Tim! That's €320 for a 40 hr wk. There's no way I could get someone at that rate, anyone here gets €10/hr, that's from students up to experienced lads, (normally give the experienced more hrs) also a meal in the middle of the day, but thinking of phasing that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

A full time man with experience of cows and machinery for €8/hr? I don't think so Tim! That's €320 for a 40 hr wk. There's no way I could get someone at that rate, anyone here gets €10/hr, that's from students up to experienced lads, (normally give the experienced more hrs) also a meal in the middle of the day, but thinking of phasing that out.
    Any where I worked I always got 10/hr.
    Except for my first placement where I was only getting something like 200e for 4 10hr days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Jeez wish I got you for my first placement.10e/hr . I would have been minted with the he's I worked

A student here gets €122 for a 35 hr wk(that's the set rate) and then €10/hr for every hr after that. Last yrs student worked crazy hrs, and took part of his payment in calved heifers that I let him pick, a really great lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

€100/day 6.30 to 6pmp
    Does that include meals?

Does that include meals?

Absolutely not.
    1hr for breakfast and 1 hr for lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

€100/day 6.30 to 6pmp

Gross or net??

Dawggone wrote: »
    Gross or net??

Netto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

when I was in 5th year in secondary I worked with a mixed suckler/ sheep farmer for £2 an hour that was maybe 1998 or so. Had feck all experience and I was shown lots. And more so I had something to do. had my weekend job also so worked with farmer 5 days till 3pm on a Friday and off to my weekend for Friday evening and Saturday. I did what ever job was given. cattle, sheep, tractor work, jeep work, powerwashing, lawns, painting, maintenance, silage etc

I spent 5 summers with that farmer, the last one half as I went at silage for the busy pit season. fair enough I got more money following years. I missed 2 days in 5 summers, a few easter breaks and xmass breaks. down to a shoulder dislocation while loading a wild cull ewes.

So surely you can get a younger student to help for €5/€8 an hour depending on experience and length of hours per day?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

when I was in 5th year in secondary I worked with a mixed suckler/ sheep farmer for £2 an hour that was maybe 1998 or so. Had feck all experience and I was shown lots. And more so I had something to do. had my weekend job also so worked with farmer 5 days till 3pm on a Friday and off to my weekend for Friday evening and Saturday. I did what ever job was given. cattle, sheep, tractor work, jeep work, powerwashing, lawns, painting, maintenance, silage etc

I spent 5 summers with that farmer, the last one half as I went at silage for the busy pit season. fair enough I got more money following years. I missed 2 days in 5 summers, a few easter breaks and xmass breaks. down to a shoulder dislocation while loading a wild cull ewes.

So surely you can get a younger student to help for €5/€8 an hour depending on experience and length of hours per day?
    think alot of young people dont want to do the work now adays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

€100/day 6.30 to 6pmp

Jaysus I won't be sending u my cv so!!!

Dawggone wrote: »
    Gross or net??

Cash or through the books

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Cash or through the books

Through books

Jaysus I won't be sending u my cv so!!!

Tell me where a guy will get €700 a week elsewhere

I wouldn't be taking the colour of it

• Advertisement

10/hr what's wrong with that lads? What other job would ye get that with out being qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

10/hr what's wrong with that lads? What other job would ye get that with out being qualified?

id consider 10/hr to be quite acceptable, id be happy to work for it anyway

Tell me where a guy will get €700 a week elsewhere

I wouldn't be taking the colour of it

I worked off farm for years and can appreciate how hard and physically demanding working on a dairy farm can be .long hours and proper work on a farm has to be worth more than min wage,fair enough if its only for someone used sporadically for jobs like foddering ,cleaning sheds,powerwashing sheds etc but a full time guy on site for 12 hours a day deserves more unless he's a total dimwit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Cran

11 euros an hour here, but not full time he's guaranteed paid 20 hours a week but flexible to work more or less depending on week and averages out over time and fixed up every 1/4 for anything additional.

I worked off farm for years and can appreciate how hard and physically demanding working on a dairy farm can be .long hours and proper work on a farm has to be worth more than min wage,fair enough if its only for someone used sporadically for jobs like foddering ,cleaning sheds,powerwashing sheds etc but a full time guy on site for 12 hours a day deserves more unless he's a total dimwit
    What do you pay lads?
    I worked for 2 differemt lads before I came hom . 10/hr and got fed to . Milking moving stock slurry spreading calve reading cleaning cubicles was general run of things

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Was getting 12 an hour and 18 for Sunday's before leaving in 2012. 200 cows, milking all year round. Was given breakfast and tea

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

My milker gets 40 per milking and 12 euro per hour for roughly 5 to 6 extra hrs a week. I've another casual guy that does my power washing and odd jobs he gets 10 an hour. Neither are fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I thought that Agricultural workers wages were covered by National Wage Agreements. From memory and I stand corrected - a worker with experience minimum rate per hour is €9.40. It may have changed over the years but the rates used to be posted on the website of the Labour Relations Commission.

What do you pay lads?
    I worked for 2 differemt lads before I came hom . 10/hr and got fed to . Milking moving stock slurry spreading calve reading cleaning cubicles was general run of things

No workers bar me and whatever the da can do,money spent so I don't need staff outside contractors and relief milkers also don't have enough scale to justify.never or rarely in yard after 6 o clock.milker gets 40 per milking and worth every penny ,odd time I do need someone its 12 euro an hour and he's feed and watered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I think frazz posted above that he gives 100/day net, so that's what he takes home so it costs frazz a good bit more by the time taxes are paid. The minimum wage is a gross figure so he is getting a fair bit above that with 2 hours of breaks

Advertisement