Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined christmases?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Have been really lucky in that the worst christmas I remember as a child was when I found a box of chocolates before mass and made myself sick. My parents were never drinkers, and we didn't have family calling over that would get drunk. My auntie used to spend Christmas and New Years with us every year and that made christmas really special and it was a very happy occasion.

Last year 7 days before Christmas I lost my dad, and I think we were still in such shock that it didn't really register and we got through it okay, although obviously it was a little sad. This year was probably the hardest christmas but all things considered, I had a really nice day. I'm lucky that my friends, oh and family are all pretty amazing and although christmas was very different, it was still special.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jesus there's some awful sh!te stories in this thread. I should be more appreciative of my parents.

Honestly the worst christmas I can remember was a few years ago, we didn't have turkey or lots of the other usual stuff because we were going on a holiday to California on St Stevens Day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Yep I have lots of times. Now I am relatively strong emotionally. I play lots of sports, hugely driven etc and work in an pressurised environment which demands mental strength. One night I cracked and rang my godmother who im close to and completely broke down. Id exhausted all options at this point. I was inconsolable on the phone. Some people just cannot be fixed in my conclusion. They have repeatedly failed to acknowledge a drinking problem. We have had interventions and everything.

Drinking heavily is normal and the only way to enjoy yourself in their opinion which frankly I find pathetic and sad. I drank heavily in my teens too but copped myself on and realised It wasn't normal.

Well done to you for getting on in life despite being raised around drink. Yes you might have fallen in your teens but could anybody blame you. You had the sense to quit before it got a hold on you. Best of luck in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think the family of the pregnant woman who was on life support win the competition of worst xmas ever hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Good friend been found dead on Christmas Eve morning while out of the country visiting family for the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think the family of the pregnant woman who was on life support win the competition of worst xmas ever hands down!

It's not a competition, and there's always people worse off, doesn't make other people have less **** christmases.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Christmas in the Caribbean was shaping up to be one of the best ever until we saw a child get stabbed to death trying to break up a knife fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Went into a boozer on thomas street yesterday for one, there was a kid of a bout 7 half asleep on a chair surrounded by parents/uncles all hammered. Didn't really feel like a pint after that so I left. Feel so grateful that my folks didn't do that to me.

Think that's quite normal up around there. I often pass that area and will see kids as young as 5 in school uniforms outside the pub waiting on their parents inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus there's some awful sh!te stories in this thread. I should be more appreciative of my parents.

Honestly the worst christmas I can remember was a few years ago, we didn't have turkey or lots of the other usual stuff because we were going on a holiday to California on St Stevens Day :o

First world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

lanos wrote: »
    First world problem.

Mad yaker is admitting that if you read the post right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think that's quite normal up around there. I often pass that area and will see kids as young as 5 in school uniforms outside the pub waiting on their parents inside.

??? Have lived a minutes walk from Thomas street all my life and its not really that bad. Its really not quite normal even around there.

Your comment is heavily exaggerated.

But in saying that my own auntie was an alcoholic and regularly brought her kids to the pub. Given so many chances by family and never could stop drinking. My mother took her kids off her and brought them to live with me and my sister. Aunt tried half heartedely to get kids back but never went to court. She was always too interested in having a man.

But there's my mother who has never drank and didn't think twice about taking on another 4 kids along with her own 2 while being a single mother with a mortgage and a part time job.

First year was quite hard as my mother didn't know about benefits she was entitled to (she eventually became their foster mother then again fully legally adopted them).

So don't go saying its the norm around my area as you tarnish the majority of the hard working people who live in my area.

Yes we have more of it than some areas (that's mainly due to having a lot of social housing around the area). But majority of people, social housing or not wouldn't dream of bringing their kids to the pub while they got drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

When i was about 12 we decided in advance for all the family to drive to my uncles on Christmas day for dinner. Then on the day we realised there wasn't enough room for everyone in the car so i was left home alone. My parents decided to have a drink so they all ended up staying the night. I heard they had a brilliant time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

rawn wrote: »
    When i was about 12 we decided in advance for all the family to drive to my uncles on Christmas day for dinner. Then on the day we realised there wasn't enough room for everyone in the car so i was left home alone. My parents decided to have a drink so they all ended up staying the night. I heard they had a brilliant time.

Thats terrible :eek:

Pubs were the bane of my childhood. Shame just as I turned old enough to not have to go anymore, they implemented the smoking ban. Woulda been nice a few years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

blacklilly wrote: »
    The Christmases of '91-'99, I never got the pony I asked for. Then my dad obviously annoyed and frustrated at santa for ignoring my simple request bought me one in 2000:D

Asked for a pony from '90 through til 2007, Santa finally came through but unfortunately bought me a horse and not a pony :pac:

I will get my pony some day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Family member had a bleed on his brain on Christmas Eve 2010. Rushed to hosp. Was put on life support and was like that until he died New Years Eve.
    It was the Christmas with the really bad snow. Two family members wrecked cars trying to travel into the hosp, no water in anyone's house for showers etc.
    Only positive out of a very sad event was he donated organs and that made Christmas special for a few other families

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

steddyeddy wrote: »
    We're all better people for it right?

In one way yes. Because you make sure when you have a family you don't put your own children through what you did.

I make sure I never behave the way my parents did, because you have seen through a childs eye what broken relationships, booze or physical/mental abuse can do.

I know my children will only know love and security from our home and will hopefully cherish memories from their childhood christmas

For some of you living at home and enduring horribly Christmas, it won't always be that way.

cassid wrote: »
    In one way yes. Because you make sure when you have a family you don't put your own children through what you did.

I make sure I never behave the way my parents did, because you have seen through a childs eye what broken relationships, booze or physical/mental abuse can do.

I know my children will only know love and security from our home and will hopefully cherish memories from their childhood christmas

For some of you living at home and enduring horribly Christmas, it won't always be that way.

This. Like, I know the decisive factor in me never having touched a drop of alcohol is my dads behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Best friend shot himself two weeks before Christmas when I was 16, he was 15. My granddad was in hospital for most of the Christmas too and died early in the new year. Didn't really give much thought to presents and turkey and the like to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

rawn wrote: »

Think they based a film on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

This year was ruined. 3rd stint in rehab for the mother and we all thought this was it, she was doing great, meetings every day- seemed so positive. Roll on Christmas eve, pissed as a fart.

Today I find out she is in a psych ward.

For all the krap Christmases I have had at the hands of her drinking, I know that I will never put any child through that. She doesn't know it yet but I won't return to the family home again for Christmas. Im 28 and I cant do it anymore.

I feel sorry for my dad. Both are old and shouldn't be going through this at their time in life, I don't want the last years of their lives to be filled with bad memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Reading this thread and reading about the horrible and lasting effects alcoholism has had on the children who witnessed it makes me shudder. All that damage done that is preventable compared to those in the thread who've lost people through illness and accidents. It is frightening to think our country is full of people with these stories to tell and still we treat binge drinking, heavy drinking and even alcoholism in such a casual manner. It's got to stop people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I remember one Christmas that was ruined for me but which is not alcohol related. But it involved my own aunt who had been struck down with Flu on Christmas Eve back in 1998. She was in bits while I was watching her on the the chair in the living room. While she had symptoms of Flu mixed up with her bad Asthma it was so hard to watch her all the same while trying every bit to enjoy the holiday as I could.

I was only eight years old while I saw this happen in front of my eyes. It was horrendous to see her suffer.

Coming up to lunchtime that day she got sick in my granny's fireplace and I ran up the stairs crying to my mam in disbelief and being frightened for my own life. An ambulance was called for her and I thought it was a good idea not to come down the stairs until my aunt was in the ambulance and her business was cleared up completed.

About three hours later, I got sick in the toilet after enduring that ordeal with my aunt. I don't remember much after that only sleeping on the couch and waking up to see my uncle later that evening.

He told the family at that point that his girlfriend had given birth to his daughter which was his first child. I didn't know what to say as I still asleep on the sleep recovering from my illness. All I do remember is that he showed a photograph of her in a hospital cot to everyone in the house. Everyone that she was gorgeous. His daughter (i.e. my cousin) nowadays is doing transition year in secondary school. She was born with Asthma by the way along with her mam and grandparents.

My aunt who endured the flu had died in hospital four years later in 2002 due to Cardiac Arrest after having a bad asthma attack at home one morning. I still cannot believe it is over 12 years since her death, it has flown by so quickly, I would only remember her for only short periods now as my life is still is going on with a very busy lifestyle.

That day Christmas Eve 1998 would live in my Christmas memories forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Such heartbreaking stuff in this thread :(

You can opt out of much of that crap in the OP though. I find it too hard to be around family, they just drag me down (not drink related) when I'm doing my best to look after myself. So this year I made the choice for my own health to opt out of that and I stayed put abroad on my own. So peaceful. I think some of you really should prioritise yourselves, as adults you can't be responsible for other adults and you can't help people that don't want to be helped. I know they're family and you feel an obligation with family and you carry so much expectations. For me there is no getting through so I just let go of the expectations now, no use suffering along with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Yeeesh, I should appreciate my parents' puritanical ways a lot more than I do!

My parents had a huge fight on Christmas eve at the peak of their problems with each other. My dad bought the wrong flavour of ice cream on Christmas Eve and it just escalated into something mental (but somehow consistently remained focused on the ice cream). Still don't know where my mam drove off to for a few days there. Pretty sure that's the time my dad's nose got broken too but that may've been another Christmas.
    To be honest, most Christmases were just hotbeds of tension in retrospect with my mam going nuts about all the visitors judging the house but all I can really recall is either hiding up the house/garden from everyone or openly laughing at the sillier arguments.
    They never let their fights get in the way of Santa visiting, to be fair to them.

Also, shout out to my aunt for sacrificing her Christmas this year; we'd've had to put up with her niece (our cousin) for all of Christmas day instead and that would've had very sour results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I grew up with an alcoholic father and my parents fought pretty much non-stop for my entire childhood but it was always worse at Christmas. They used to wreck the place, pull down the decorations (that's if any were put up in the first place), break presents throwing them around the place etc etc, I won't go into too much detail.
    Basically from age 0-18, until I moved out, Christmases were pretty horrible.
    One Christmas that sticks out in my head was when I was 3 or 4. If my father thought he was in big trouble with my mother he'd use one of us as a barrier, thinking she'd go easier on him if we were there, never worked. This particular night they were raging away at each other and I came downstairs and my father grabbed me and put me sitting on his lap. I was roaring crying of course. My mother threw an ashtray at him and it hit me in the face. It was an old fashioned really heavy glass ashtray like this - http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mcFEb8y0sW7LpSMIHsb-CdA.jpg
    I still have a noticeable scar between my lip and my nose and my nose is slightly crooked.

I never ever visit my parents at Christmastime. There's a few different reasons for that. They don't understand of course and just think I'm being awkward, there's never been any acknowledgment of how unacceptable their carry on was. I'm 27 now and I still find Christmas hard sometimes just thinking about all my childhood Christmases.
    I go all out at Christmas now and my husband makes sure it's amazing because he knows why I need it to be like that now. I have Christmas traditions that probably seem childish and stupid to some people but it's just the way it has to be now. I felt like there were years where we didn't even celebrate Christmas when I was younger, we may have had decorations up and eaten a Christmas dinner but you were just on edge and couldn't enjoy any of it properly so it just went by unnoticed.

I feel like crying now:(

Alcohol sure has ruined a lot of people's christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

One of my friends took her life a few days after Christmas 5 years ago. I have been lucky in my life to have always had great Christmases apart from that one. Was tough putting on a happy face in front of my son and having to celebrate my mums birthday while waiting to bury my friend. But she gave us great memories and great stories to relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I've had a few really shi!y Christmases, I was "brought up" in care / children's homes from a very young age,
    At Christmas we would all have to put our best cloths on, get a good wash and try look presentable for the Christmas visitors.. they would be some local charity or middle aged "do gooders"
    We were made to stand in a line and the visitors would walk down the line talk a little, wish you a merry Christmas and give you a present, this would be the only present you would get so you would be very grateful to them,
    Then when the visit was over the staff would come and take the best of the gifts for themselves and them the bullies would take what was left and you would be left with fook-all.
    The next Christmases were all the same until I left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    After reading some of these posts it just reminds me how alcohol can bring out the worst in people .

I don't see why excessive alcohol use is more acceptable than other forms of drugs . Sad really.

100%. The alcoholic idiots being described in this thread would look down on someone for sparking a spliff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't see why excessive alcohol use is more acceptable than other forms of drugs . Sad really.

Without saying anything to incriminating. I spent X-mas with somebody who was smoking weed constantly. He drank 4 of the days and was high the rest. Perpetually high too..as in never letting himself come down. He was as much of an a-hole whilst high as he was drunk.

I'm leaving tomorrow. I live 5k miles away and I haven't really seen him because he's been in a state the entire time.

It's sad that any of these types of drugs are deemed acceptable at all.

Advertisement